Thread: I noticed..

Lightbulb I noticed..

I myself rarely shoot nowadays. Mostly guiding students to shoot when they go out for various activities.
    I am considered a "part-time" CCA photography guide?

Anyway, I've noticed the influenced of Lomography among the youth when they start photography, in recent months.
    There are something which I have noticed about the youths (sec sch students) and I have trouble telling them that they should not start photography this way.

1. They like to have flare in the photos.
    2. They like to shoot with tilted angles in most of their photos.
    3. They like softness in many of their photos (for dreamy effect).
    4. They also like to use tilt-shift effect.

Any senior bros here, can help me with something that I don't know how to explain to them that such "special effects" may be distracting for viewers??

They all think it is nice and it creates "special effect" when they don't even want to get basic composition first, following the rules of thirds/framing.
    Some of them don't even get exposure correct and they want to think of shooting in "Lomo style"..
    Last edited by shaoken; 2nd November 2010 at 09:16 AM.

Default Re: I noticed..

Tell them to buy a Lomo.

The main issue is that, if a male youth shoots "in Lomo style" the girls all go "wow, you so good, like Lomo!!" and this of course makes them want to shoot more since they get all the excuses to talk to the girls. And if the female youths shoot like that, then "wow, you so good, like Lomo!!" and they feel prettier. :P
    Alpha

For newbies who just started out, I guess anything that's different from a 'normal' photo is nice. Just try to explain to them that not everything that is different is nice. Probably can use sample lomo photos taken by good photographers and relate the basics to them, ie rules of 3rd, exposure, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Tell them to buy a Lomo.

The main issue is that, if a male youth shoots "in Lomo style" the girls all go "wow, you so good, like Lomo!!" and this of course makes them want to shoot more since they get all the excuses to talk to the girls. And if the female youths shoot like that, then "wow, you so good, like Lomo!!" and they feel prettier. :P
    I guess lomo is just a teen trend thing. I rather shoot with handphone camera, also lomo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Tell them to buy a Lomo.

Yes. I noticed this trend.
    When they shoot overexposed pics, girls will go "wah! Lomo style leh.."

So maybe you're right on why they like to shoot lomo..

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    For newbies who just started out, I guess anything that's different from a 'normal' photo is nice. Just try to explain to them that not everything that is different is nice. Probably can use sample lomo photos taken by good photographers and relate the basics to them, ie rules of 3rd, exposure, etc.
    Maybe that's true. In many cases, they think lomo doesn't need to follow the basic composition techniques.
    So many of them think lomo is more fun that photography whereby a photo is mostly based on composition. So they rather be "artistic" in lomography.

I guess lomo is just a teen trend thing. I rather shoot with handphone camera, also lomo.
    Agree.. iPhone can do lomography already!

Photos are all about composition, exposure and lighting.

I think it's just a fad. Anything that is different will soon become normal when they become mainstream. Once lomos become normal... they will get fed up. People like this don't do photography because they like to produce good photos. They do this for self-image sake, to show to their friends that they are cool, different, etc. This kind of people won't stay in the hobby for long. I won't try to convince them or anything, waste of energy and time. Just let them be lo.

Photos are all about composition, exposure and lighting.

I think it's just a fad. Anything that is different will soon become normal when they become mainstream. Once lomos become normal... they will get fed up. People like this don't do photography because they like to produce good photos. They do this for self-image sake, to show to their friends that they are cool, different, etc. This kind of people won't stay in the hobby for long. I won't try to convince them or anything, waste of energy and time. Just let them be lo.
    I'm not too sure about that.
    There are some who like to do Lomo. Some have done for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    I'm not too sure about that.
    There are some who like to do Lomo. Some have done for many years.
    I suppose those who have done it for many years will not need guidance already. Haha!

Correct me if I am wrong... Lomography is not just about special effects, soft focus and tilt shift, ya? It is more than that.

Maybe you could explain that to your students. Tell them frankly that some special effects that they do is quite irritating and not comfortable to viewers. And if there are grading, just give them low grades.

Some time when some one came up with something that is special... it is original... when everyone tried to copy... then it is irritating.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

This blogpost lampoons "lomo as art" and calls it artistic wanking.

(Some basic knowledge of Malay needed)

why don't just leave them alone,
    this is kind of trendy thing,
    anyway, after awhile,
    and they will get bore about it if them won't get pass this stage.

and anybody does not have aesthete sense,
    won't able to comprehend what you telling to tell them,
    all they want is just trying to "break the rules".
    you know, teenage kind of things,
    so just let them be.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

let me provide with my share of opinions as a student.

personally, i didnt know abt lomo at the beginning. after that, knowing it, to me, its kind of a hit and miss thing. for me, why on earth will i like lightleaks in my cameras?

i prefer cross processing effect. it brings me back close to the film that i use last time through photoshop. perhaps thats the only crazy thing i do.

but yea. its a trend. lomo is the new cool lor.

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    1. They like to have flare in the photos.
    2. They like to shoot with tilted angles in most of their photos.
    3. They like softness in many of their photos (for dreamy effect).
    4. They also like to use tilt-shift effect.

Hmm... Subjective I guess.

Some pictures do look good with lens flare induction in PS to give the picture a better feel.

Tilted angles I'm not too sure about this one.

Softness is used in portraits at times to enhance the picture.

Tilt shift, was already on large format cameras why before lomo came about.

I used to shoot lomo as well for the fun of it. Can be quite fun but I gotta say its a hit & miss at times.
    Last edited by Royale With Cheese; 2nd November 2010 at 11:34 AM.

Lomo is a culture thing. The best part about it is experimenation and DON"T THINK! JUST SHOOT!

The best part of it is that there is NO PREVIEW of The shots taken! Its Exciting to see how your picture turn out!

Composition and all that stuff can be tiring (but important).

I have a hard time teaching youths too. There is a lot of call for instant gratification and LOMO does just about that...or maybe not... hmmm... My friends make fantastic scrapbooks out of their pictures...

Different philoshophy and life style.

Its like teaching children to appreciate Chinese Calligraphy. Like Boiling Tea... it takes skill, time and patience.

So how about those who buy $6000~$8000 Cams to shoot XMM and Family gatherings?
    Last edited by Andrew Ng; 2nd November 2010 at 12:56 PM.
    心到,眼到,手到。
    genone3, Flickr

Lomography isn't limited to teens or youths.

However, good lomo pictures also have a sense of composition, focus, aesthetics and good storytelling. There's serious culture-istas and there's trying to look cool.

hard to believe at this day and time there are still people who thinks photography is a 1+1=2 thing.

They(photographer) happy can liao...