Thread: Japan Ski Photography

Default Japan Ski Photography

Hey guys,

I'm heading to Japan for some skiing next month, some questions I have are as such.

1) Am I allowed to bring a camera bag-pack up the ski slopes?

2) Are Monopods allowed up there?

3) Are there any lens fogging issues that may arise because of the temperature?

4) Any good lens to recommend? Both for wide shots and Tele lenses.

Thanks guys, ow and by the way, for those who intend to start lecturing me about the safety of skiing and shooting.... I will not be skiing and shooting at the same time, gonna stop at a nice spot on the top of the 1.7km tall ski slope, take off my skies and then start shooting

Default Re: Japan Ski Photography

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm heading to Japan for some skiing next month, some questions I have are as such.

Thanks guys, ow and by the way, for those who intend to start lecturing me about the safety of skiing and shooting.... I will not be skiing and shooting at the same time, gonna stop at a nice spot on the top of the 1.7km tall ski slope, take off my skies and then start shooting
    Different resorts and ski lift operators have different policies. It's always advisable to check with the specific location first. With that said it's generally not an issue with most operators.

Monopods aren't an issue.

Lens fogging can be an issue going both in and out of doors. There's quite a few good articles about it online so get googling.

Lens choice is pretty much up to you. I've used everything from 8mm Fisheye to 2400mm of supertele on skiing and it all works fine. As a good rule of thumb you're going to get about 10m of range per 100mm of lens length (35mm equivalent). An 80-200/2.8 with 2x TC will give good results out to around 40m while a 17-35mm or so can be used to capture skiers airborne over jumps etc and capture the downhill section / hill angles etc in the background.

I'd not recommend any serious skiing while carrying gear. Take a compact (eg Panasonic Lumix) for serious ski runs so you can stil be armed with a good camera without putting good gear at excessive risk.

Good luck
    Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

There are no rules regarding monopods or camera bags in ALL resorts.

There may be lens fogging issues that may arise. My advice would be to keep your cameras in a camera bag for awhile before exposing them to the cold so that there isn't a sudden difference in temperature inside and outside the lens.

Lenses I would bring (and am bringing for my snowboarding trips in Dec-Jan) : medium range zoom (ie. 24-70 range) and light tele zoom/tele prime (135mm f2)

And as for bringing your camera skiing, I would only advise so only if you're EXPERIENCED and know when to take your camera out of the bag.
    Most of the time in my case, it's a beginner who attempts black or double-black slopes without thinking for his own safety as well as the safety of others.

I got into an accident in the '08 season when another Singaporean (i could tell from his accent) crashed headfirst into me while i was retrieving my D200 from my bag. Avoid standing near parts of the slope which are heavily used by skiers.

If you're an intermediate/beginner skiier I'd suggest just bringing a P&S and just enjoy the skiing and worry less about gear. Advanced skiiers probably already know what they can and cannot do on the slopes. Remember sometimes things can go wrong, you may get lost and get on a black diamond slope accidently so do recce your routes as well.

Hey guys, thanks for the many replies, realli helped alot.

Im not a very expert skiier but i do well on advanced slopes, ha

will stand aside the slopes and take off my skies when shooting safety first

thanks once again