Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cant decided what lens to buy this coming weekend. HELP

Default Re: cant decided what lens to buy this coming weekend. HELP

The main reason ts is asking is because he is going to hk, and lenses are alot cheaper there.

Infact, sometimes if u buy lenses from hk, use it for a year and sell it away 2nd hand in cs, u will likely not lose any money (getting a lens to use for free). If lucky u might even earn a small profit.
    Last edited by torak; 2nd November 2010 at 10:10 AM.

Great PIX!

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Kit lens no good?

Hmmm...

All shot with the 18-55 non-VR on a D40x on a lousy $60 tripod.

BTW, if you want 35mm for DX, you should just go for the 35/1.8G. You will only get the full potential of 35/1.4G on a FX.
    Same for 24mm. If you want 24mm for DX, get the 24/2.8 or Sigma 24/1.8. You will only get the full potential of 24/1.4G on FX.

Or you can get a FX body. Then get those lenses.

But in the end, it is how you use the equipment you have. Kit lens is not that lousy, contrary to popular belief. In fact, 18-55 and 55-200 are two very humble but very capable lenses.
    Nikon D90*Nikor18-105mmVRII * Nikor 35mm F1.8G * Nikkor 55-300mm * SB600 * T17-50mm F2.8 VC*

Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post
    The main reason ts is asking is because he is going to hk, and lenses are alot cheaper there.

Infact, sometimes if u buy lenses from hk, use it for a year and sell it away 2nd hand in cs, u will likely not lose any money (getting a lens to use for free). If lucky u might even earn a small profit.
    That is what i was thinking about, since I am dropping by HK, no harm buying cheaper lens than getting in SIngapore.

As for earning a profit... not even thinking about it... break even I will be happy

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Kit lens no good?

Hmmm...

All shot with the 18-55 non-VR on a D40x on a lousy $60 tripod.

BTW, if you want 35mm for DX, you should just go for the 35/1.8G. You will only get the full potential of 35/1.4G on a FX.
    Same for 24mm. If you want 24mm for DX, get the 24/2.8 or Sigma 24/1.8. You will only get the full potential of 24/1.4G on FX.

Or you can get a FX body. Then get those lenses.

But in the end, it is how you use the equipment you have. Kit lens is not that lousy, contrary to popular belief. In fact, 18-55 and 55-200 are two very humble but very capable lenses.
    I am not saying the kit lens are lousy, just feel when I was using my friend's 17-55mm, it was showing a better IQ...

And I am dropping by HK this weekend...

Thanks all for giving me the advice for saving up $$$

Appreciated it.

Actually I will be in HK too next Tuesday, for sure will be visiting the camera shops but not likely to buy any photographic gears tis time.
    Mine full name-Betta Macrostoma
    Can call me Betta.

Well you aren't going HK just to buy lens right? I guess you are thinking that if you don't buy a lens when you go HK then next time you have to spend more money buy local or fly to HK again, hence better not waste this trip right?

But if you aren't sure of what you want and you go HK and got a wrong choice then you would end up wasting money instead.

You mentioned about low light lens, why not a decent external flash if it is cheaper there?

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    Well you aren't going HK just to buy lens right? I guess you are thinking that if you don't buy a lens when you go HK then next time you have to spend more money buy local or fly to HK again, hence better not waste this trip right?

But if you aren't sure of what you want and you go HK and got a wrong choice then you would end up wasting money instead.

You mentioned about low light lens, why not a decent external flash if it is cheaper there?
    the trip with my wife is a break from work... Just dropping by.

my brother do have a Nikon SB900 already that I can borrow... but not every time it is available. But as to coming to borrow his lens, it is a no no most of the time.

My sister on the other hand might be get dx body in coming xmas, and we hope to be able to share my gear.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123