Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cant decided what lens to buy this coming weekend. HELP

Default Re: cant decided what lens to buy this coming weekend. HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Rawbeansta View Post
    30mm is for cropped body, which is almost the equivalent to 50mm for full-frame. HK sells it for about 500+ while In SG it costs more than 750 if I'm not wrong. B&S prices range from 550-600, so you don't really lu gi if you decide to sell it later.
    I see... I try not to walk down that path...... but thanks for the note.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post
    some brands have a high resell value while others are not,
    some lenses have a high resell value while others are not,
    lenses with warranty generally has a higher resell value.

i'll avoid buying expensive lenses if i'm still not sure what lens suit me the best, actually i would avoid buying any lens for the time being
    Dont buy.... Hmmm... I think I need say that a million times to stop myself from buying now... 5 more days to HK.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    TS, may I just ask why you've bought an entry-level camera and are shortlisting some pretty high-end lenses?

i mean... the price of the 24/1.4 dwarfs your entire present set-up. I would advise you to look at lenses that are more 'proportionate' to your present set-up, both in terms of weight and price.
    17-55/2.8 is quite a monster to be pairing with your D3100 as well.
    Sorry, I thought that the 17-55mm is a DX format? you mean the D3100 is too small for the body... Sorry... Noob here

maybe you can share what is it about your current lenses you wish can be improved, and also how you think the new lenses will be beneficial?

For example, if you say that kit lens IQ is not good enough, there's a chance that the problem is not with the lens, but rather the user I've seen some really amazing shots taken with the kit lens, so don't diss it so quickly.

Hope you don't spend unnecessarily, that's all...
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by bkkoo78 View Post
    Sorry, I thought that the 17-55mm is a DX format? you mean the D3100 is too small for the body... Sorry... Noob here
    17-55 f/2.8 is a DX lens, but it's pretty heavy. It will make your set-up 'front-heavy', since the D3100 is so light.

maybe you can share what is it about your current lenses you wish can be improved, and also how you think the new lenses will be beneficial?

For example, if you say that kit lens IQ is not good enough, there's a chance that the problem is not with the lens, but rather the user I've seen some really amazing shots taken with the kit lens, so don't diss it so quickly.

Hope you don't spend unnecessarily, that's all...
    The reason why even 17-55mm is in my buy list is also partly I had used my friend's 17-55mm for a week. Cause I initially used my kit lens... then I thought it was my skills/shakes that is causing the difference in IQ compare to the 17-55 and kit lens.

So, I started to bring my tripod to take most of my pictures (both with the kit and 17-55, same settings). Then I realise that there is a diff between 2... And Yes, I know I cannot compare like this (small apple & big apple), but knowing 1 lens can produce better IQ, makes me want it....

As for why I want a prime lens, cause I dont have 1 now... And I want a lens for dark lighting.

17-55 f/2.8 is a DX lens, but it's pretty heavy. It will make your set-up 'front-heavy', since the D3100 is so light.
    Will it damage my camera in a long run? i mean when I keep using with a tripod... Yes, I know DSLR can take a beating...

will the 'front-heavy' setup impact the camera in the long run?

Thanks for the Info... I will try to study a bit more on order brands...

Is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for a Full frame body too? if so, I guess there would be some cropping to 30 x 1.5 = 45mm?

Hi TS, from the sentence above, seems to suggest there is a misconception that APS-C / DX lenses have no cropping effect.

All lenses, regardless of Full Frame (FX) or APS-C (DX) will have a cropping on an APS-C (DX) sensor.

All lenses be it Full Frame or APS-C will have their focal length quoted in 35mm (Full Frame) equivalent. As such you need to do the 1.5 multiplier on them.

Why not start with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Hi TS, from the sentence above, seems to suggest there is a misconception that APS-C / DX lenses have no cropping effect.

All lenses, regardless of Full Frame (FX) or APS-C (DX) will have a cropping on an APS-C (DX) sensor.

All lenses be it Full Frame or APS-C will have their focal length quoted in 35mm (Full Frame) equivalent. As such you need to do the 1.5 multiplier on them.

Why not start with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8?
    1.) Oooo... ok... That means my understand is wrong... So are you saying that any DX lens on my DX, there will be cropping?

2.) Like i mention in some of my replies... I never thought of using other brands... I guess it is a branding thing for me.

I will for sure keep a look out for the other brands before my trip...

Thanks for spotting my mistakes in my understanding in the formats.

hahaha ok ok.
    I get what you mean

but I would suggest that you don't buy so hastily, unless you're sure that singapore price is much higher anyway, so even if you don't like it, you can still sell it off here for little/no loss.
    Thanks for all your sound advise... Maybe I should not go into that BBB mood.

If you can afford a Nikon 17-55, you'd rather get a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS HSM (or Tamron 17-50) and a Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, both are very good.

The Sigma and Tamron 17-50 are also significantly lighter and smaller than the Nikon 17-55, so they'll feel more balanced on your D3100

Can consider a Sigma 18-50 F2.8 as well for a great walkabout lens too. Replaces your kit lens.
    RekindleMe

Please find something to buy. Therein lies the fun.

if you can easily afford it, then by all means go there and buy something if you think you want/need it
    I find that buying stuff sometimes motivates me in photography... I know that's a wrong concept, but I fall prey to it

But I do notice that in Singapore, lots of people spend unnecessarily, chasing that 'magic lens' which will make their photos instantly better, when often it's the photographer that's the weakest link.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G Prime HK3,950+-

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4G ED Prime HK16,300+-

Nikon AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED Zoom HK9,980+-

Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC /HSM Prime HK3,100+-

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom HK4,850+-

i second the Tamron 17-50 2.8. its budget and its good according to what i see from the reviews. however its not exactly perfect for portrait work. cos its a little short on the tele end.
    Gripped A500 kit | Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8 | 50 1.8 | Minolta 70-210 4 | HVL-42AM

I find that buying stuff sometimes motivates me in photography... I know that's a wrong concept, but I fall prey to it
    Don't we all?

to Ts , as u mention that u have the d3100 , 18-55 and 55-200 ? i would suggest u go with those for time being to learn how it work , i think most of the bro here will agree on this , if u know how to use those 2 so call kit lens properly it can produce stunning photo compare to pro gear that without knowing how to use it properly

spend some time to shoot with those to kit lens and u will discover later wat u really need
    Nikon D600 / D750

Thanks all for those helpful advice. I guess I have a bit more time to think about it.

Appreciate all your advices.

Blog Entries

Kit lens no good?

Hmmm...

All shot with the 18-55 non-VR on a D40x on a lousy $60 tripod.

BTW, if you want 35mm for DX, you should just go for the 35/1.8G. You will only get the full potential of 35/1.4G on a FX.
    Same for 24mm. If you want 24mm for DX, get the 24/2.8 or Sigma 24/1.8. You will only get the full potential of 24/1.4G on FX.

Or you can get a FX body. Then get those lenses.

But in the end, it is how you use the equipment you have. Kit lens is not that lousy, contrary to popular belief. In fact, 18-55 and 55-200 are two very humble but very capable lenses.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 2nd November 2010 at 04:54 AM.

If cant decide what to lens to buy then mine advice is dun buy lor .
    Coz you may make the wrong choice and end up $$$ wasted.
    Mine full name-Betta Macrostoma
    Can call me Betta.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast