Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is best for fashion photography? full frame body or cropped body

Default Which is best for fashion photography? full frame body or cropped body

Hi,

I need to ask that for fashion photography can i need a Full frame camera body or a Cropped camera body?

Secondly I have a budget of USD3000 for both body and lens, so what will be the optimal camera body for me according to my needs mentioned above.

waiting for your comments

thanks

Default Re: Which is best for fashion photography? full frame body or cropped body

Either body will work fine. Any camera will do, I recommend a 70-200mm lens.

The "optimal camera" is the one you know how to use. There is no "fashion photography camera".
    Alpha

Default Re: Which is best for fashion photography? full frame body or cropped body

thanks for the reply. you suggest 70-200mm lens, now I following choices for lenses
    a) Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM
    b) Canon 70-200mm (not 'IS' version but it is out of my budget)

So which is the best choice?

If you want to capture the whole artist body including the her legs than use FF , and if you want to capture only the head till shoulder than take crops .

Both. You see, it also all depends on where you will be sitting. You need to know these things, then you can select the right lens for the time and place.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by biskandar View Post
    If you want to capture the whole body of the artist than use FF , and if you want to capture only the head till shoulder than take crops .
    Not true.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by biskandar View Post
    If you want to capture the whole artist body including the her legs than use FF , and if you want to capture only the head till shoulder than take crops .
    PPl Choose FF usually for the low light performance rather.
    Shoot First, Ask Questions Later...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jas_works/

Quote Originally Posted by jsprtan View Post
    PPl Choose FF usually for the low light performance rather.
    True but the newer crop bodies are catching up fast in low light performance, the difference now is very slight.

it all depends on where you are shooting from and the lighting of the fashion show.

eg, the Paragon ones...can bring kit lens and bump up iso for actually useable pictures but it all depends on your shooting location.

having a FF is useful as you will actually be having 16-35 if using 16-35 lens but then the problem will be finding a 16-35 with edge to edge sharpness and if you can get right up to the runway. crop cameras use the sweet spot.
    Last edited by Reportage; 1st November 2010 at 05:02 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

You should also look at external flash.

I agree with Rashkae. There's no so called "fashion photography" camera. And YES, you need 2 lens. But it depends on where you are sitting. If you are near to stage, 17-55mm will be very helpful, if you are sitting far, basically 17-55mm will serve as "landscape" style shot. In the meantime 70-200mm helps when you want to take some close up shots.

I'm not sure if you are referring to runway photography or studio fashion photography. But if you are referring to runway photography, IMHO f2.8 is very essential. Sometimes the lighting is very poor and you need a big aperture to capture some good shots.

Hope this helps...
    aka AhXiong

For US$3k, get canon 7D + canon 18-200 + flash 580 ex + monopod
    Canon User

The best setup for fashion photography

Canon 1ds Mark III
    - Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 II
    - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8
    - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II
    - Canon 580EX II
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Perhaps you should explain more what type of "fashion" photography you are taking. If you shoot studio, it doesnt matter how fast ur lens is. You will be shooting at f8 and above. The focal length is more important. Most Pros use long focal length : http://stepheneastwood.com/tutorials...erspective.htm

It you shoot on location, perhaps you should consider a fast prime to achieve nice DOF when needed.

That's only the camera & lens. Lighting is another world for you to explore...

Well forget the time being, do not consider studio lighting, umbrellas etc. Apart from these what will be the best setup under US$3000

I need

1) Camera Body
    2) Lens
    3) Flash Light

Waiting for expert comments

Quote Originally Posted by eshban View Post
    Well forget the time being, do not consider studio lighting, umbrellas etc. Apart from these what will be the best setup under US$3000

I need

1) Camera Body
    2) Lens
    3) Flash Light

Waiting for expert comments
    Experts cannot give you comments if you are not giving info. WHAT KIND OF FASHION SHOOT? Are we talking studio? Runway? Outdoors?
    Alpha

I want to use in all these 3 areas
    1) studio
    2) Runway
    3) Outdoors

im not sure how much the below setup will cost... but,

a FF camera, a 50mm and 85mm plus a flashgun. any brand will do seriously.

@ronin1983: why you prefer FF?

Field of view

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast