Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want to get a camera (Nikon D3100 or Canon 550D?)

Default Re: Want to get a camera (Nikon D3100 or Canon 550D?)

Quote Originally Posted by estrangable View Post
    Hey cup, the price for D3100 is actually 835 with 1 8G card... just went to funan yesterday. This is the price quoted by challenger and SLR Rev.
    You should PM the guy administering this list. Contribute some info for all newbies' reference!

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    hmmm... seems like the online sources I used are wrong. You probably would like to help to correct them too?
    No, those are correct. They all state it's the quality of the blur. What you said is: "Aesthetic Blur part of photo.".
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    No, those are correct. They all state it's the quality of the blur. What you said is: "Aesthetic Blur part of photo.".
    oic. I just like to put it in my own words instead of just regurgitate exactly. lost in my own translation...
    Aesthetic Blur part of photo

Quality of out of focus areas of a picture

aesthetic quality of out-of-focus areas of a photographic image
    Last edited by coolthought; 3rd November 2010 at 06:15 PM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    bro, it's correct lor...
    There's a small difference.

Bokeh is referring to the quality of the out-of-focus area, but doesn't refer specifically to the blur...

I guess in laymen's terms, it's how nice/ugly the blur is.
    Bokeh =/= blur, basically...
    basically nice looking blur area of photo, right?

oic. I just like to put it in my own words instead of just regurgitate exactly. lost in my own translation...
    Aesthetic Blur part of photo

Quality of out of focus areas of a picture

aesthetic quality of out-of-focus areas of a photographic image
    yupyup. So long as you understand, all good.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    yupyup. So long as you understand, all good.
    all good lets get back to the main purpose of helping out cupnoodles shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by cupnoodles View Post
    Apologies for the long post, but really would like to hear some opinions and input. I did quite abit of research, read the guides on buying a DSLR.. stickies, etc, I guess I just need to hear if the D3100 is a right choice.
    4) Photography style is alot of portraits, with friends, of friends. Macro shots of erm, makeup and food. A plus if cam handles low-light well. For parties etc.
    my apologies for not reading your post carefully.
    You have more or less already decided. However, you would like to hear other opinion on this particular camera D3100.
    imo, there shouldn't be any problem getting this for your portraits shots

Cons:
    1. No wireless remote (erm, sometimes want to take self-portraits with friends)
    2. No external mic input (don't really care about this actually)
    3. No usb cable included in kit?
    4. No bracketing
    5. No AF motor?
    6. Only compatible with certain lenses. AF-S?
    5 and 6.
    You can read up on this links.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/Nikond3100/page2.asp
    There shouldn't be any problem using any of the nikkor lens out there available. The main concern here is whether the lens allows you to autofocus and meter.

Correct, no built-in motor in the camera body. Therefore, get lens with built-in motor.

what you should be getting are the dx lenses and the "g" ones which has built-in motor
    http://www.nikon.com.sg/products_new...ategoryid=1011

4. you probably won't be using bracketing unless such that you want to take a few shots of the same thing quickly with different exposure so that there is good chances of getting one correctly exposed as when there are conditions that might confused the camera to meter properly. This can be overcome by replaying and checking your photo and ev+- to correct the exposure or you might want to do it post process to correct the exposure. Another purpose, bracketing is useful in landscape photography as it allows the shots to be taken quickly for hdr or blending.

To cut it short. You can do without bracketing most of the times.

1. use timer loh. Even the professional nikon bodies don't have built-in wireless sensor. If you really want to have one, get a horse-shoe mount wireless trigger. Check out the mass sellers here for this wireless remote trigger.
    Last edited by coolthought; 4th November 2010 at 12:34 AM.

Bro CT, D3100 has a sensor for the infra-red remote ML-L3.
    Just because the remote doesn't come with the camera (like in the case of some prosumers), TS assumed it doesn't have sensor. Not true.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Bro CT, D3100 has a sensor for the infra-red remote ML-L3.
    Just because the remote doesn't come with the camera (like in the case of some prosumers), TS assumed it doesn't have sensor. Not true.
    My bad. Just realized the D3100 does NOT have the IR remote sensor
    Exploring! :)

What I researched is that:

Cons:
    No wireless remote (erm, sometimes want to take self-portraits with friends)
    No external mic input (don't really care about this actually)
    No usb cable included in kit?
    No bracketing
    No AF motor?
    Only compatible with certain lenses. AF-S?

Cons:
    …. Nothing. Expensive.
    No in-build processing (can use photo editing prog?)
    Kr will be a good buy. Just look at what its giving you.

wireless remote (erm, sometimes want to take self-portraits with friends) -Check
    external mic input (don't really care about this actually) - No
    usb cable included in kit? -Check
    bracketing -Check (in camera HDR w/ self align even)
    AF motor -Check
    Only compatible with certain lenses. - Compatible with all K-mount lenses since ~30+yrs till now

Cons:
    n-build processing (can use photo editing prog?_ -Check

Last edited by pinholecam; 4th November 2010 at 06:11 AM.

k-r will be your best choice i love my pentax and i am sure you will do

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Maybe next time everyone should just let Rashkae do the helping. Since he is the EXPERT here. And if we say anything, he might just jumped out and slap you upside down.

(Sometime I really wonder, we are all here to learn, and so... what I thought right are wrong, so what? Anyone could simply come out and point it out... then I learn something new. But instead of that, some senior members simply came out and slap me with insulting words and sneer... well... so sad.)
    Well look at your attitude in your responses... pot calling the kettle black.

Each time something is put out as an answer to newbie questions, if unchallenged will be taken as accurate by other newbies. Although it may not be your intention, but it will end up misleading newbies with incorrect information, which is probably what happened to you as well, saying things that are incorrect with such conviction.

You are right that we are all here to learn. So if you put out wrong information, people are going to call you for that. At least be man enough to admit your mistakes as well. I have seen Rashkae taking back his words when he says something wrong and someone calls him for it. Are you at least man enough to do that?
    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd November 2010 at 11:58 PM.

The D3100 notably has no dedicated iso button, and you cannot see the iso setting in the viewfinder. It also lacks a dedicated white balance button. While not a huge thing, it is indicative of its positioning as a camera for the amateur who doesn't want to mess with too many settings.

I have found both buttons to be very useful when I had my K-x. Its great to be able to change the auto iso range at the press of a button to respond to changing light conditions instead of having to dive through menus, its great to be able to change white balance settings and seeing the effects applied on the last shot taken, so easy to compare and choose which is the best one.

I would also like to add that the local pentax community is fairly closely knit, helpful and supportive. We will be having one of our monthly gathering this friday (details here), I'm sure the K-r owners will be more than happy to let you "test drive" their cameras.

all good lets get back to the main purpose of helping out cupnoodles shall we?

my apologies for not reading your post carefully.
    You have more or less already decided. However, you would like to hear other opinion on this particular camera D3100.
    imo, there shouldn't be any problem getting this for your portraits shots
    Yeah more or less decided on the D3100 but am swayed now : the K-r and Sony A33!

5 and 6.
    You can read up on this links.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/Nikond3100/page2.asp
    There shouldn't be any problem using any of the nikkor lens out there available. The main concern here is whether the lens allows you to autofocus and meter.

Correct, no built-in motor in the camera body. Therefore, get lens with built-in motor.

what you should be getting are the dx lenses and the "g" ones which has built-in motor
    http://www.nikon.com.sg/products_new...ategoryid=1011
    Thanks, this is exactly what I am asking about.

4. you probably won't be using bracketing unless such that you want to take a few shots of the same thing quickly with different exposure so that there is good chances of getting one correctly exposed as when there are conditions that might confused the camera to meter properly. This can be overcome by replaying and checking your photo and ev+- to correct the exposure or you might want to do it post process to correct the exposure. Another purpose, bracketing is useful in landscape photography as it allows the shots to be taken quickly for hdr or blending.

To cut it short. You can do without bracketing most of the times.
    Right, I did think that i probably won't need bracketing, just thought that it would be an advantage if it is in-built. (getting the best bang for my bucks?) And I know I sound silly, but I was thinking it might be useful for getting the correct WB/ISO (?) when I take pictures at (birthday parties). I have seen very yellowish/too warm or too exposed pictures taken at birthday parties even though the photographer is using a DSLR. I wonder why? Incorrect WB?

I googled on bracketing and yes it is mostly used for HDR. Even though I still don't really know what HDR exactly is. I actually thought HDR = High Definition .. something
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging
    1. use timer loh. Even the professional nikon bodies don't have built-in wireless sensor. If you really want to have one, get a horse-shoe mount wireless trigger. Check out the mass sellers here for this wireless remote trigger.
    Cos timer still must set and faster run to in front of the camera. Then hair messy already. Hahaha!! I was also wondering how to take self-portraits without a tripod leh. (Again, I know I sound super silly) but you know if you place it on the table you won't be able to frame the heads/faces properly. Then again bringing a tripod out just for random cam-whoring purposes sounds .. crazy.
    Last edited by cupnoodles; 4th November 2010 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Kr will be a good buy. Just look at what its giving you.

wireless remote (erm, sometimes want to take self-portraits with friends) -Check
    external mic input (don't really care about this actually) - No
    usb cable included in kit? -Check
    bracketing -Check (in camera HDR w/ self align even)
    AF motor -Check
    Only compatible with certain lenses. - Compatible with all K-mount lenses since ~30+yrs till now

Cons:
    n-build processing (can use photo editing prog?) -Check

Quote Originally Posted by Fireemblem View Post
    k-r will be your best choice i love my pentax and i am sure you will do
    Yes yes, I am definitely looking at the K-r In fact I am now leaning towards to the K-r more than the D3100. Just worried about the weight cos I prefer not to hand or shoulder/carry it. I will most probably be putting it in my tote bag but I will be going to the shop to have a feel before making a decision.
    Last edited by cupnoodles; 4th November 2010 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by estrangable View Post
    Hey cup, the price for D3100 is actually 835 with 1 8G card... just went to funan yesterday. This is the price quoted by challenger and SLR Rev.

Same situation as you -comparing D3100 and Pentax KR and Canon 550D...in the end got a KR since the feel is better. the speed is also much faster at 6X per second compare to 3x for D3100.

KR is selling at 910 so it's slight more ex than D3100. Then again, you cant really go wrong with either camera. Have tried the D3100, got to say it's really impressive. value for $$.
    I was thinking the K-r is really value for $ if I am getting the Kit3. I believe I will be sticking to those lenses for awhile before I jump into buying other lenses.

As for the D3100, if I do get it, I was looking at the 35mm/f1.8 lens. Last I checked, price for that lens is $399. Say I pay $835 + $399 = $1234.

By the way, did the K-r kit you purchased came with memory card? Cos I don't have one.

Yes yes, I am definitely looking at the K-r In fact I am now leaning towards to the K-r more than the D3100. Just worried about the weight cos I prefer not to hand or shoulder/carry it. I will most probably be putting it in my tote bag but I will be going to the shop to have a feel before making a decision.
    It is certainly a small camera. With a choice of colors too.

and if you ever venture into small lenses (THIS IS the company who makes quite a few of them)

BTW, the DA 35/2.4 is selling for around $290. Sharp from wide open (see the review for yourself)
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781683
    Last edited by pinholecam; 4th November 2010 at 10:30 AM.

I have since edited my thread title. As you can see, now I have axed out the Canon550D as I personally feel that the Pentax K-r is more value for money.

I am now also considering the Sony SLT A33 alongside with the K-r. Changed the title so that seniors with knowledge on SONY can give me advice.
    (Oh, just found out that I can't change the thread title on the main page this sucks, how to lure Sony and Pentax seniors into the thread?? lol)

So I did my research and apparently the A33 meets my requirements too! EVF is good cos I would prefer something with a VF after seeing how the small LCD on the Oly EPL1. Here comes the drawbacks:

- Poor battery life, estimatedly 270 pics (which I know can be solved with extra battery)
    - See threads of "overheating" floating around?
    - Limited Sony lens range and they look more expensive to me (or am I wrong?). I can use other brands like Sigma, right? Do I need an adapter?
    - Seen some comments on the noise level, some were impressed, some say that it seems to be going down from ISO 1600 onwards. I have seen the pictures and it seems like the NEX5 produces less noise. Also, the K-r then wins the A33 if we are comparing ISO.
    - No fun art filters (sounds silly i know. Also, I can surely use photoediting softwares, but the reason why I am getting a new camera is because I want to cut down on the photoshopping/editing, preferably do a straight upload for some series)

Will Sony continue to extend the SLT line? I don't want to be stuck in this situation where they decide to phrase out the SLTs after a while.

Thank you for the advices given so far, and for introducing other options like the Pentax and Sony to me. (well the bad thing is my research is never-ending and I have been doing it for days and close to a week already) If I had not posted this thread, I would not have opened my eyes to Sony or Pentax. Yuh, so typical newbie and ignorant right? Apparently all we see is Nikon or Canon, Nikon or Canon.

By the way I only learnt about the D3100 only because I saw the advertisement while watching tv. Advertising win. LOL
    Last edited by cupnoodles; 4th November 2010 at 10:39 AM.

oh pinholecam: What a fast reply! Yeah, I actually like the colour idea alot, but it is only available in Japan right? Also thinking if I'm getting the Kit3, I can only get it in black. I prefer the red or white body actually...

Ok I just clicked on the link. WOW!!!!!! I'm so impressed. Are "small lenses" = "prime lenses"?
    Last edited by cupnoodles; 4th November 2010 at 10:36 AM.

Sony says they will continue the SLT cameras. But even if they stop, it's the standard Alpha A-mount, so you can use lenses with any current or future Alpha A-mount camera (their normal DSLR cameras).

Yes, the A33 and A55 have relatively poor battery life compared to the "normal" DSLR range, but with normal use you can usually easily get 400+ shots. As for the overheating, this is usually when shooting video, and this is common to DSLR cameras - The D90 stops after 5 minutes for example, asking you to let the sensor cool down. In normal usage you won't have an issue. The Sony lens range is not as extensive as Canon and Nikon, but you also can use all the past Minolta AF lenses, as well as lenses from Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. And you also need to ask yourself how many lenses you'll realistically need? The common 2-5 that most people get, any brand has. And sony lenses tend to be cheaper or on par with other brnads for lens price.
    yes, the K-r has good ISO performance, even though it uses sony sensors too. This is because of a weaker anti-aliasing filter.

Close to a week is not long... Some people spend months before deciding on a system.
    Alpha

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast