Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Monopod?

  1. #1
    Member Ryanchew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    95

    Default Monopod?

    Its called a monopod right? The one-legged tripod. Does anyone know the price of one? Im using a 500d and im planning to buy it for macro shots. Tripods seem too bulky and heavy. Help much appreciated
    Canon Eos 500D
    100mm Macro Lens, Single Diffused Flash

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Teck Whye
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Hi Ryanchew,
    Go out and shoot a few sessions of macro before you even think of buying a monopod. Better to spend your bucks on a macro lens if you do not already have one. I have been to 5 CS macro sessions and only saw one bro used a monopod continously during one session. I tried it for a while yesterday at AMK Park with Jacobs group and find it a hindrance. My monopod was part of my tripod, so its ok for me, no money lost.
    Cheers.
    LEW

  3. #3
    Member Ryanchew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by SHLEW View Post
    Hi Ryanchew,
    Go out and shoot a few sessions of macro before you even think of buying a monopod. Better to spend your bucks on a macro lens if you do not already have one. I have been to 5 CS macro sessions and only saw one bro used a monopod continously during one session. I tried it for a while yesterday at AMK Park with Jacobs group and find it a hindrance. My monopod was part of my tripod, so its ok for me, no money lost.
    Cheers.
    LEW
    I've been shooting for quite some time now, until a few months back. was studying. i have a 100mm macro lens and a tripod. it was very heavy (for me) with the flash and stuff, so wondering how much a monopod costs thanks for the advice.
    Canon Eos 500D
    100mm Macro Lens, Single Diffused Flash

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanchew View Post
    I've been shooting for quite some time now, until a few months back. was studying. i have a 100mm macro lens and a tripod. it was very heavy (for me) with the flash and stuff, so wondering how much a monopod costs thanks for the advice.
    Monopods pricing range from $10-$1xxx

  5. #5
    Member Ryanchew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Monopods pricing range from $10-$1xxx
    $10 to 1xxx ? wow. thanks
    Canon Eos 500D
    100mm Macro Lens, Single Diffused Flash

  6. #6
    Member Ryanchew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Monopod?

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429895
    will this work with a canon 500D?
    Canon Eos 500D
    100mm Macro Lens, Single Diffused Flash

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanchew View Post
    Yes...

  8. #8
    Member Ryanchew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Yes...
    thanks, i think im gona get that.
    Canon Eos 500D
    100mm Macro Lens, Single Diffused Flash

  9. #9
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,454

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Maximum height: 64.5" (164 cm)
    Load capacity: 2 kg
    Canon 500D : 480 g (body only, no battery)
    Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro : 584g
    Flash? Diffuser? Flash Bracket? : ??? g

    I think you will need to upgrade the ball head. Unless you want to mount your dslr directly on the monopod without the ballhead.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Bought this for $40 from MS Colour


  11. #11

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    Canon 500D : 480 g (body only, no battery)
    Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro : 584g
    Flash? Diffuser? Flash Bracket? : ??? g

    I think you will need to upgrade the ball head. Unless you want to mount your dslr directly on the monopod without the ballhead.
    Your statement sound like most use ballhead with monopod. Is really that so?

  12. #12
    Member Ryanchew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    Canon 500D : 480 g (body only, no battery)
    Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro : 584g
    Flash? Diffuser? Flash Bracket? : ??? g

    I think you will need to upgrade the ball head. Unless you want to mount your dslr directly on the monopod without the ballhead.
    hmm, and how do i upgrade it? ><
    Canon Eos 500D
    100mm Macro Lens, Single Diffused Flash

  13. #13
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,454

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    Your statement sound like most use ballhead with monopod. Is really that so?
    not sure, I use ballhead with monopod. some monopod such as manfrotto 680b have big screw, so need pantilt/ball head.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanchew View Post
    hmm, and how do i upgrade it? ><
    I don't know your monopod can change the ball head or not. but do consider the max weight everytime you want to buy tripod/monopod/tripod head.

  14. #14
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanchew View Post
    hmm, and how do i upgrade it? ><
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    not sure, I use ballhead with monopod. some monopod such as manfrotto 680b have big screw, so need pantilt/ball head.

    I don't know your monopod can change the ball head or not. but do consider the max weight everytime you want to buy tripod/monopod/tripod head.
    Most people do not use ball head with monopod, if you do use a ball head with a monopod, you will find it quite hard to handle.

    Most people use a single axis tilt head with a monopod. Something like this:


  15. #15
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,454

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Most people do not use ball head with monopod, if you do use a ball head with a monopod, you will find it quite hard to handle.

    Most people use a single axis tilt head with a monopod. Something like this:

    Ic ic, thanks for the info. I assumed ppl use ball head with monopod because I saw at challanger, they sell velbon monopod + ball head together as one package

  16. #16
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Monopod?

    My cheap monopod comes with a simple Ball Head.


  17. #17
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Monopod?

    I use a small Markins Q3T ballhead on my Gitzo monopod. Very fast adjustments in movement.

    There are folks who swear by just connecting the camera to the monopod. It can definitely work well, but down to user preferences. I tried that before but there was plenty of opportunity to convince me to getting a small sturdy ballhead for it.

    Ryan

  18. #18
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    Ic ic, thanks for the info. I assumed ppl use ball head with monopod because I saw at challanger, they sell velbon monopod + ball head together as one package
    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    My cheap monopod comes with a simple Ball Head.
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    I use a small Markins Q3T ballhead on my Gitzo monopod. Very fast adjustments in movement.

    There are folks who swear by just connecting the camera to the monopod. It can definitely work well, but down to user preferences. I tried that before but there was plenty of opportunity to convince me to getting a small sturdy ballhead for it.

    Ryan
    It comes down to personal preference and how you shoot in the end. I find using a ballhead on a monopod a little counter intuitive.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It comes down to personal preference and how you shoot in the end. I find using a ballhead on a monopod a little counter intuitive.
    I don't even use a head. I mount my lens directly on the monopod. The lens collar on my lens allows me to set it to portrait orientation.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •