Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: How to take care of camera

  1. #1

    Question How to take care of camera

    Hi all,

    would like to noe to take care of the camera as i jus brought one.

    how frequent we need to clean it and wat and how we actually clean it.
    wat are the areas that are advise not to touch.
    place of storage or anything regarding storage

    if there are any other additional stuff u might wanna add in pls do so cos i'm kinda newbie so can't think of much to ask. pls do advance

    Thanx

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    first of all, what sort of camera do you have? digicam? SLR? DSLR?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Punggol Park
    Posts
    1,977

    Default

    HI

    I am sure ya camera came with instrucation booklet?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    first of all, what sort of camera do you have? digicam? SLR? DSLR?
    I currently using nikon coolpix 3700

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er
    HI

    I am sure ya camera came with instrucation booklet?
    Yap, it does come along wif a instruction booklet but i would like to know more than the instruction booklet provided as sm of the stuff i believe cannot be found in the instruction booklet

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Digicam ah? don't touch the lens, don't touch the EVF. Get a lens pen or blower brush or microfibre cloth to clean the lens when it's dirty, otherwise leave it alone. If you use the camera enough, you wouldn't really need a drybox or such, and I haven't heard of a digicam developing fungus yet. If not in use for extended periods, then you might want to consider storing it in a air tight box with some silica gel and remember to leave the battery out...

  6. #6

    Default

    where can i buy the silica gel?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~LiNdA~
    where can i buy the silica gel?
    Any regular photo labs should have

  8. #8

    Default

    hi any ideal how much it cost?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~LiNdA~
    hi any ideal how much it cost?
    around $4 for one bottle

  10. #10

    Default save the trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by ~LiNdA~
    where can i buy the silica gel?
    IMHO, I would suggest getting an electric dry box instead. Cost more, but worth it in the long run. Comes with dehumdifier, that keeps the internal at the right humidity. Protects your equipment well.

    Using Silica is lots more trouble, cause you will need to change them ever so often, cause they will absorb moisture to a limit.

    Consider getting an electric dry box big enough for your future needs. That would depend on how much equipment you intend to have....

  11. #11
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    Digicam ah? don't touch the lens, don't touch the EVF. Get a lens pen or blower brush or microfibre cloth to clean the lens when it's dirty, otherwise leave it alone. If you use the camera enough, you wouldn't really need a drybox or such, and I haven't heard of a digicam developing fungus yet. If not in use for extended periods, then you might want to consider storing it in a air tight box with some silica gel and remember to leave the battery out...
    3700 doesn't have an EVF. By right, the lens shouldn't get dirty in the first place, so there isn't really a need to clean it.

    And btw, I do know of cases where fungus grew on DCs... and yes, the replacements & repair & cleaning don't come cheap.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrischuawh
    IMHO, I would suggest getting an electric dry box instead. Cost more, but worth it in the long run. Comes with dehumdifier, that keeps the internal at the right humidity. Protects your equipment well.

    Using Silica is lots more trouble, cause you will need to change them ever so often, cause they will absorb moisture to a limit.

    Consider getting an electric dry box big enough for your future needs. That would depend on how much equipment you intend to have....
    agree..go with electric dry cabinet. should be less than $100. silica gel only helps for short while. lens can still get fungus.

  13. #13

    Default

    drybox + silica gel, regulraly change, and take the digicam out to regularly use..will do

  14. #14

    Default

    might consider to buy a electric dry cabinet in future cos nw kinda broke to spent further. mayb will get a drybox and the silica gel for the time being. jus wanna ask jus use a normal cloth to clean the camera or there are a special kind of cloth jus for the cameras? How frequent we take the camera out and clean?

  15. #15

    Default

    unless your cam costs under $500 i would suggest going with a dry cabinet. when fungus hit it will be too late

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    3700 doesn't have an EVF. By right, the lens shouldn't get dirty in the first place, so there isn't really a need to clean it.

    And btw, I do know of cases where fungus grew on DCs... and yes, the replacements & repair & cleaning don't come cheap.
    hehe, not familiar with the 3700, so just gave some generic digicam advice Anyway, the lens might still get dusty, or if shooting near the sea, salty etc, so some knowledge of how to blow things off is good

  17. #17

    Default

    What I practise is that after every use at the end of the day, I will take a cloth and wipe thoroughly to remove moisture, sweat and prints from the cam before storing it back into the dry cabinet.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Dun buy silicon gel, buy a 'Thristy Hippo' will do...last longer and cheaper!

  19. #19
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    hehe, not familiar with the 3700, so just gave some generic digicam advice Anyway, the lens might still get dusty, or if shooting near the sea, salty etc, so some knowledge of how to blow things off is good
    No problem dude, we're just trying to help as much as we can... heehee

    Yes... salt-spray & accidental touching of lens might occur under circumstances, so beware, a lens pen or lens tissue will come in handy, but normally dust, slight finger prints do not affect/degrade the image much.

    In short, avoid cleaning everyday, you're only thinning the lens coating away

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Reservoir Dude
    Posts
    534

    Default

    silica can use microwave oven to dry out the water inside, then reuse... cheap but troublesome...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •