Thread: after shooting from the seaside

Default after shooting from the seaside

dear all,

like to know after shooting from the beach or sea side; do you all have a best way to clean (or what the best way) to clean the body; lens filter and gears?

thanks a lot

Default Re: after shooting from the seaside

Be careful when shooting near the seaside because salt water is harmful to your gear especially if your body is not weather sealed or changing of lens near the seawater is a no no!!! Just wipe it with a dry cloth after using then put it in the dry cabinet!!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by foofoo View Post
    like to know after shooting from the beach or sea side; do you all have a best way to clean (or what the best way) to clean the body; lens filter and gears?
    It is described in your manual and recommended countless times in Internet: use a damp cloth and wipe your camera. For filters and lenses there are cleaning kits and liquids. If you have dried stains of saltwater splashes you can moisten them to dissolve the salt again.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by jed091270 View Post
    Be careful when shooting near the seaside because salt water is harmful to your gear especially if your body is not weather sealed or changing of lens near the seawater is a no no!!! Just wipe it with a dry cloth after using then put it in the dry cabinet!!
    No need to get paranoid. I have changed my lenses so many times on boats and at the shore, nothing happened. Maybe I just forgot to tell my camera about the potential dangers and problems? A bit care and alertness helps always. Even without weather sealing no camera will break down because of a drop of seawater.
    EOS

thank you all for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    No need to get paranoid. I have changed my lenses so many times on boats and at the shore, nothing happened. Maybe I just forgot to tell my camera about the potential dangers and problems? A bit care and alertness helps always. Even without weather sealing no camera will break down because of a drop of seawater.
    Just be reasonable to your camera... it is more sturdy than you think. Just be careful of salty water and sands
    1Ds II | EF 16-35L| EF 24-105L | EF 35f/2.0 | EF 50f/1.8 | EF 85f/1.8 | EF 100L |EF 70-300L| EX 550

Quote Originally Posted by kaylan2000 View Post
    Just be reasonable to your camera... it is more sturdy than you think. Just be careful of salty water and sands
    the camera is more sturdy than you think, changing lens at the beach or even in the boat while moving is fine. If the camera and lens are sprayed by sea water, usually what i do is that i use alcohol wipes (brand is called zappyboy, cost only $3 per packet of 10 alcohol wipes, can get it from guardian or watson) and clean thoroughly and its all good. Of course dont change your lens while there is strong wind and it has kicked up alot of dust and sand at the beach, a bit of common sense at times would mostly do the trick to keep your camera in good stead.. hope it helps.

thanks again on sharing the experience.

Additional pointer, when changing lenses at the beach, face away from the wind direction and use your body to shield your camera.
    Canon EOS 6D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | 50mm f/1.4 HSM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Not Canon gears specific discussion, thread moved.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio