View Poll Results: Which brand of backpack used/owned?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deuter

83 57.24%
  • Lowe Alphine

33 22.76%
  • Osprey

11 7.59%
  • Jack Wolfskin

17 11.72%
  • Others

64 44.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What brand of backpack used/owned?

Default Re: What brand of backpack used/owned?

Can't give you advice on the brand, but if you're not doing mountain trekking or hiking, I suggest you stay away from the toploader backpacks, for the sake of convenience. If not, just to find one item, you will have to painfully unload everything on top of it, from a relatively small opening at the top. Just my two cents' worth.

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    I second the Macpac recommendation. Sports Connection at Peninsular Plaza has some the last time I was there (2 months ago).

Pity you don't get the full Millet range in Singapore. It's not too bad either. Better made than Deuter IMO

THIS IS A 1/2 YEAR OLD THREAD... dig out from where

I've been using a Macpac since 1999 and its tough and hardy, with a so-called waterproof aztec material.

Advice for you guys buying backpacks : Get a 30 litre Seal-Line bag from Campers or Soh Brothers at Beach Road so that u can stuff and compact all your clothes inside. http://www.seallinegear.com/vinyl_ba...y=VinylDryBags .. It really helps to compact your clothes and its waterproof too. Its usually used for canoeing expeditions. Also, get a black color rain cover that fits snugly around your backpack too. I usually put on the rain cover at all times, cuz i'd rather dirty my raincover than to dirty my bag. Washing it is a big hassle. The black color rain cover is also to prevent unwanted attention when you're going to rural/dodgy places.

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    THIS IS A 1/2 YEAR OLD THREAD... dig out from where
    Strangely, by clicking "Today's Posts", I think. I must admit to not seeing the date on the post.

Much more interesting than people registering just to post kowpaykowbu thread on being ripped off by a timeshare scam.
    Last edited by kahheng; 13th November 2005 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    Get a 30 litre Seal-Line bag from Campers or Soh Brothers at Beach Road so that u can stuff and compact all your clothes inside. http://www.seallinegear.com/vinyl_ba...y=VinylDryBags .. It really helps to compact your clothes and its waterproof too. I usually put on the rain cover at all times, cuz i'd rather dirty my raincover than to dirty my bag. Washing it is a big hassle. The black color rain cover is also to prevent unwanted attention when you're going to rural/dodgy places.

Cheers...
    gd idea.

was using a Tatonka 30L daypack (dunno which model), sold 2 my uncle cos he like it very much (i oso ).

it has a gd weight distribution 4 a slim guy like me.

My Deuter Quasar has been with me for 5 years now..backpacked in Japan and Sabah, every trip to OZ, my daily bag in JC and it's still looking good.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

i recommend Tatonka

I use Karrimor. Pretty sturdy with well-padded shoulder and waist straps. I normally load it up to abt 25kg. This bag is much stronger than me.

The only thing i don't like is the logo which resembles a UK flag. So i covered it with a Singapore flag. I find it wierd carrying other country's flag...
    Last edited by Ah_Seng; 16th November 2005 at 06:31 AM.

Tatanka for me....6 years old now and gone for no less than 10 trips with heavy check in....

this thread was from 2005!
    But still relevant i guess

Quote Originally Posted by giddygoat View Post
    this thread was from 2005!
    But still relevant i guess
    If u read the 1st post, its 2004!

Really?? Haha...didn't see that....but I just wonder why it pop up on top of "search for new posts in the last 24hours"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Really?? Haha...didn't see that....but I just wonder why it pop up on top of "search for new posts in the last 24hours"
    i think someone must have voted but didn't post anything in the thread itself.

I have a Lowe Alpine bought in 1988 and its still going strong. Use it 5 or 6 times a year for trips, even school camps and have no issue with it. Maybe the ancient ones are better??

My vote goes to the Deuter as well, bought one in 1998 and is still serving me well. Whereas the inner layer of my Lowe Alpine bought in 2002 has already worn off.

Vaude not bad too...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

Smile Re: What brand of backpack used/owned?

Get a Crumpler Karachi outpost or Whickey & Cox, with the internal compartments intact one can use as a camera & laptop backpack. Rip out the internal compartments, & it becomes a normal backpack.

I have a 48 litre Deuter bought in 1997 (for $88) and has since travelled around the world with me. Still going strong. My best investment ever.
    But can't vouch for the quality of the backpacks now as the manufacturing standards may have changed since the last decade.

deuter bags are good for travel....i have a 65+10 bag for travel.
    however for daily use...it is not as good cos the inner waterproof lining peels off and become flaky easily. then each time you use your bag like got flakes of skin all over yout things inside. just got a tatonka about 3 weeks back. like what most say, yhe back support not as good....and its funny that this is my 2nd tatonka and have the same problem. when you walk, your shirt will start to get pulled up
    so once a while when i feel my back very cooling its time to pull the shirt down again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast