Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From Canon to Nikon

Default Re: From Canon to Nikon

Will a d7000 net you better pictures, boost your photography skills, or improve your eye for composition?

Quote Originally Posted by yc2005 View Post
    Will a d7000 net you better pictures, boost your photography skills, or improve your eye for composition?
    I think I know why the craze about D7000. There is this secret button called auto composition. You just half-press the trigger with the lens at its widest zoom. The camera will take a temporary photo and compare to the thousands of stored photos in-camera for the ideal composition. The algorithm will calculate based on this and the formula for the golden rules such as rules of third, triangular rules of third...etc.. and a rectangle or square will appear in the LCD live-view. You just need to zoom in and orientate the camera to match the rectangle or square. Photography skills and eye for composition instantly get boasted.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    I think I know why the craze about D7000. There is this secret button called auto composition. You just half-press the trigger with the lens at its widest zoom. The camera will take a temporary photo and compare to the thousands of stored photos in-camera for the ideal composition. The algorithm will calculate based on this and the formula for the golden rules such as rules of third, triangular rules of third...etc.. and a rectangle or square will appear in the LCD live-view. You just need to zoom in and orientate the camera to match the rectangle or square. Photography skills and eye for composition instantly get boasted.
    wow is this for real?
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

haha... seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
    wow is this for real?
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    haha... seriously...
    heh heh.

What do you think?

heh heh.
    hahahah guess i got conned
    but that idea is just highly improbable, not impossible
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

It does.
    Fuji X100s, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 vc, Nikon 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8f

Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
    hahahah guess i got conned
    but that idea is just highly improbable, not impossible
    somebody has came up with the algorithm to stitch photos. The in-camera processor do use a database of photos to compare for the ideal constrast and exposure....
    Not happening soon, however, there may exist such possibility. Just waiting for someone to come up with such an algorithm.

It can, getting gear can sometimes motivate you and in the process make you a better photographer. You can say all you want that you don't need new gear to improve your skills, but the fact remains that if you really want something and you get it, it will motivate you to go out to shoot, and in that process, you will improve your skills.

Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    It does.
    Yes. With the auto-composition button.

I was a Nikon user during the Film era and I stopped photography for a long time. When I restarted I get Canon because I dont want to be reminded of the sad past with my Nikon.

Long story short, I had over the years wanted to switch back to Nikon esp the D3s. There was one day I was shooting beside a friend using D3s. We were shooting the same subject from the same angle and almost the same spot (side by side) Lighting condition was bad and I had problem getting my Focus. My friend went piak piak piak.. Later we compare the outcome. He was shooting at ISO 12500 and me at ISO 400. His shot looks way better than mine. cleaner too. BTW I was and still is using 1Dmk3. I wanted to change almost immediately but the cost of the whole Nikon setup with the D3s and similar lenses put me off. I learn to get the most out of my existing gear. Experimenting with all sort of configuration and even to the extend of applying assisted MF when I cant get AF to get correct focus. After some practices, it become 2nd nature and now I can get my focus right (of course not as good and accurate as D3s).

If you keep thinking of upgrading, it will never end. List out what you dont like about your current gear. Is it really the limit of your camera or is it you yourself? The one question I always asked myself is this.

If 20+ years ago, those professional photographers can shoot with their gears, why is it that I can get the same result with my better and modern gears?

You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon, they are both great manufacturers
    The only that can help you decide is your own preference. If you've handled both cameras before you should get a feel of which one you prefer
    My personal opinion is that Canon has a wider range of lenses to choose from, whereas Nikon has better bodies, in terms of features and specifications

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    If 20+ years ago, those professional photographers can shoot with their gears, why is it that I can get the same result with my better and modern gears?
    probably because film slr has a longer history than the digital slr? My opinion maybe till now digital slr has been doing catch up and probably about to really over take film for good?

I was a Canon user from Film days... EF-M, EOS 5, 300D, 10D, 30D, 40D.
    Suddenly lightning strikes me!
    Now switch to Nikon! .... D300, D90 and now D7000.

Why?

Reason : Their lenses is cheaper and sharper. Gives u hood and pouch.

Canon was too expensive. EF lenses switch to EF-S, have to upgrade to L lenses. Too troublesome.
    Nikon allow u to mount all their old lenses till date.
    Nikon FX lenses can use on DX body.
    Canon EF-s lenses CANNOT mount on 5Dm2 onwards.

Canon comes out too many new DSLR or Prosumer compacts to catch with..... minor upgrades. Higher prices.

I was looking for spot metering on AF points. D90 gives that. Canon, please buy the 1 Series Pro model. Even 5D mk2 spot metering is only in the middle!!

Too little features for editing in-camera for Canon. Or non- existence. Must go back home, download to a PC.

Flash photography. Canon flashes are too basic.

To end, look at the consumer point of view. The 30D, 40D, 50D and 60D. What time frame for each model? Very minor upgrades to wow new buyers or existing canon users.
    Pro features D7000 - body only $1700.
    Canon 7D - body only $2100.

How to decide? $ first. Right?

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I don't think like you. From a previous post, wonder if aggressive incamera processing at high ISOs is being misread as being superior in performance. Do enjoy your chosen equipment. It is only a brand.

buy the D7000 and keep your 40D! that way you got the best of both worlds. =)

Better to have extra features that not have.
    When Canon have HD video.... many people ask why?
    Same goes here, if Nikon have the in camera simple editing function, use it. How many times can you shoot 100% perfect exposure and composition?

I was at a on the spot competition recently. After the shoot, Nikonians can edit before submission. My friend using Canon just stand and see. He said" wow". Mine don't have this feature.
    Then on a outdoor or holiday trip. You have the ability to edit on the bus. To enchance the photos.

Less useful are the filter effects.

Now that D7000 come out with all the kool new function, you can be sure, Canon is already making or in the planning for another model that will have similar and more function than the D7000.
    Current: 550D + EFS 18-135mm IS + EF 50mm f1.8 II

The competition between Nikon and Canon is never ending. But as a Canon user, i would say Canon probably need to buck up a little.
    Canon5D 50mm/100mm (macro)/24-105mm/100-400mm
    My flickr

When Nikon introduces some new stuff, people say Canon must buck up. When Canon introduces some new stuff, people say Nikon must buck up.

What people don't realise is that their level of competency is what's falling behind. Are people here on par with the cameras they are using? Just look at the photos on CS for answers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast