Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From Canon to Nikon

Default Re: From Canon to Nikon

After being a ex-canon user and a now nikon user... i generally tell people this;

"To be honest, both brands suck."

Thats being purely pessimistic, but if you look at the bright side, that means both brands have formidable and formadibly hate-able pros and cons. If you want to jump or re-jump, make sure you do it for the pros and not some minor reason, than it'll always be worthwhile.

your first choice is always the best choice

is obvious the new camera will always be better than the older generation
    u just need to wait

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    After being a ex-canon user and a now nikon user... i generally tell people this;

"To be honest, both brands suck."

Thats being purely pessimistic, but if you look at the bright side, that means both brands have formidable and formadibly hate-able pros and cons. If you want to jump or re-jump, make sure you do it for the pros and not some minor reason, than it'll always be worthwhile.
    haha me to, having jump from nikon to canon, i too feel the same way, should have stick with my instinct of getting a pentax but noo, i have to go with the most popular brands
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

Why not sony alpha if you're getting the D7000? Much cheaper, both using sony sensor and similar IQ and low light performance (these two brands are similar up to their mid range bodies).

The only distinct advantage i see the latter has is more AF pts but it would be interesting to see if it is customizable like the 7D.
    Last edited by Ouranos; 30th October 2010 at 08:49 AM.
    Dont follow the masses, buy what you need

stick to one brand . . . you will lose more for jumping here and there . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

Personally, I would not encourage you to switch camp.

What Nikon can do, Canon also can. All you need is to get a newer model like 7D.

Why switch to Nikon just because of a "not-even-released-yet" camera and I am pretty certain that Canon had cameras similar to D7000, or even better then D7000.

Besides, look at your arsenal of lenses in your signature....

Hi, Cameras and lenses can last few years but they keep on producing new ones every 3-6 months to earn your $$$ and to play with your ego. It is business psychology. Don't get trap.

For me Canon -- > Olympus -- > Nikon .. here I am staying put .. never happier

But what the guys above said make senses .. my setups in Canon was quite extensive .. so switch over to Olympus was painless .. still got money to spare .. but when Nikon came .. spend again .. My Nikon setup is bare minmun .. sufficient to get the shots I want and nothing more
    3 lens - 10-24, 17-35 and 70-200 ..

Good luck

Cheers
    Cheers !

Perhaps I am OT here but in my case more of a conversion - Contax to Canon.
    Bought 5D to use Carl Zeiss lens.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, Cameras and lenses can last few years but they keep on producing new ones every 3-6 months to earn your $$$ and to play with your ego. It is business psychology. Don't get trap.
    Good advice.
    Canon EOS 550D. 18-55mm. 50mm f/1.8 II.

Ea$y to jump, Ea$y to regret later.... thi$ will not end and never ever will!

What you can do is... probably revisit those early days prior to getting your 40D, why you wanted it so badly then?
    Its just a box ... ... [ Ō ▀ ]

So i am back to this thread again as the 'early reports' show that the D7000 kicks a$$. Frankly the 50D and 60D to me are not worthy upgrades, they are just craming more pixels on the same sensor.

The D7000 appears to be a better system and if you trust Ken Rockwell and DXO Labs its 'rivaling' the 5D Mk II. I am intrigued by these reports (but i do not treat any report as 'gospel' - the user is the key)

So . . . still crazy to think about switching? Backside itchy?

Quote Originally Posted by ballwackers View Post
    So i am back to this thread again as the 'early reports' show that the D7000 kicks a$$. Frankly the 50D and 60D to me are not worthy upgrades, they are just craming more pixels on the same sensor.

The D7000 appears to be a better system and if you trust Ken Rockwell and DXO Labs its 'rivaling' the 5D Mk II. I am intrigued by these reports (but i do not treat any report as 'gospel' - the user is the key)

The important thing is to take some time out and ask yourself honestly why you are creating this thread?

To get people to support you to switch or to get people to talk you out of switching? Then you have your answer.

i think you need everyone to help u scratch again >.<
    but anyway$... $tick with what you have. it'll be a pain in the a$$ to have to $ell off everything and buy new len$e$. like what Henry Soh said... yes... every year these camera companies will come out with new and exciting gear for all of u$... so are you going to change bodie$/$ystems every year?

bro... con$ider it more like a WANT than a NEED.

Do you really need the features that are in the D7000? What's the real reason you want to change? Because you need the features of D7000 that Canon series can't give you?(I think Canon can easily satisfy what you need) Or are you swayed because the D7000 is the newest technology?(What if Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus comes out with something even newer soon? you going to jump again?)

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    The important thing is to take some time out and ask yourself honestly why you are creating this thread?

To get people to support you to switch or to get people to talk you out of switching? Then you have your answer.
    Actually this is a good point - originally I wanted feedback from former Canon - now Nikon users (and I stil want to hear that) but with my last post i was just stirring the pot, so to speak.

So to get it back on track: if you have switched from C to N (or vice versa) the pls share thoughts.... because i am considering C to N.

Ask yourself - if you change from C to N or vice versa, will your skill improve and your photos look better significantly?
    If you are not sure, don't change. Continue to use the current brand until you master it.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Looking at the lens you have, it seems like getting a Canon camera of a higher range compared to (=5D2) D7000 is cheaper. But you have a couple EF–S lens though.
    Last edited by ArcticFox; 11th November 2010 at 05:23 PM.

I can't stop (and probably never will) whining about the fact that D7000 is EXACTLY what I wish Canon's 60D was. But I'm still sticking to Canon, because you can always trust manufacturers to launch cool new stuff to compete with each others, because their market share is at stake. I'm saving up for 7D (or maybe 7DII by the time I have enough $$)
    Canon Kiss X3 BG-E5 | Canon 135 f2 | Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 | Sigma 50 f1.4 | 430EXII
    View my gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    Looking at the lens you have, it seems like getting a Canon camera of a higher range compared to (=5D2) D7000 is cheaper. But you have a couple EFS lens though.
    This was my first choice but i don't think it is cheaper...and if you beleiev everythin you read :-) then the D7000 is to 5D Mk II

Quote Originally Posted by Soundaholic View Post
    I can't stop (and probably never will) whining about the fact that D7000 is EXACTLY what I wish Canon's 60D was.
    Exactly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast