Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winner of the BJP's International Photography Award

Blog Entries

Default Re: Winner of the BJP's International Photography Award

Quote Originally Posted by goering View Post
    How do we make ourselves better if we do not even comprehend why that was a winning photo?

I agree that judging, especially photos is very subjective but there should still be some reference or guideline. It is quite obvious that nobody other than the judges appreciate that photo .. I certainly don't
    i agree that judging, especially chicken rice is very subjective but there should still be some reference or guideline. it is obvious that nobody other than the judges appreciate that chicken rice. i certainly don't.

how do we make ourselves better if we dun even comprehend why that was a good plate of chicken rice?

it sounds funny.

for art, there ARE no guidelines. have to move on from that mentality. judging has always been subjective. name me one photography competition that has NEVER had people complaining about. if there was a guideline, a winning formula, whats the point of calling photography art? call it a math competition.

judges are subjective. the best photos arent the ones that are acknowledged by 3 ppl. its by the masses. so long as there aer people who feel your work is good, i think thats fine enough.

and dun tell me u cant tell which photos of yours are nice meh?

with regards especially to photomarathon, i liked a few of the winners, i like a few of the non winners. end of the day its just a matter of luck. if judge lucky likes urs, good for you. if not just suay.

While I respect the judges' decision, I can't help but feel concerned for the organisation. Picking such a photograph as the winning entry can be damning to its reputation. To me, the photograph did not display any of the qualities described by the judges, not even close. I wonder how many will distance themselves from the organisation from now on. Its really a competition gone awefully wrong. That's my view.

REPLY from one of the judges
    http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...-winning-image

Why pick the Michelle Sank image as an award winner? Itís a good question. Just what makes for a typical award-winning photograph? Another good question and one obviously open to debate as everyone will have favourites and conceptions about what the favourites might be.

The answer will always be evaluative and personal, so by choosing this I was not saying this is the best image in the world - it is not. It does however have a subtle quality. A cursory glance might dismiss it and those who are looking for the romantic ideal of a muscular photojournalism are unlikely to find it rewarding. It is not really a journalistic image, and should not be judged as such. As a single image it becomes isolated, it loses context and without such context the image itself does not really dictate to the viewer what it is about; possibly it has nothing profound to say about the world beyond that the fact the photographer took a picture of a man who was using a bag of bread to shield his face as he slept.

The image however does force questions. Another cursory glance could say it is an image of poverty, however it isnít; its visual clues of poverty such as the dirty hoodie butt up against its other clues, the rolled up magazine in the back pocket and the bagged bread. The picture does not give up an easy answer; its meaning is unresolved which makes for uncomfortable viewing, so uncomfortable as to be easily dismissed out of hand. When this image was first suggested I dismissed it Ė I didnít like it, but it grew on me. Why is this? I could drone on about abstracted formal qualities, colour and textual relationships and the like but that wouldnít answer it. I liked this image because it challenged me Ė challenged my assumptions about photography in ways the other images in the award didnít. Whilst most were technically proficient, and many were good photographs, many were derivative with familiar subjects; they simply looked like other peoples work. This is a problem.

The problem is that there is no one photography but many photographies; reportage, wedding, fashion, advertising, and art. In other words photography is a medium with many messages; each is not simple and discrete but concurrent, and increasingly the edges blur. The BJP award has to take this into consideration, and the work has to be judged with this in mind. Michelle Sankís image is one such image that defies simple photographic convention.

Saying all this there is, of course, a place for the traditional humanistic view of photojournalism but this is not to say that all photography should follow some proscriptive type, as the danger exists that it will become ossified in its own academic structures as the culture shifts, to become desiccated and remote as any bunch of dusty academic paintings which now lie forgotten. Sometimes photographers have to take risks Ė not just in photographing a subject, but to take risks with the image itself. As culture shifts photography has to move with it, to change and challenge if it is to remain vital. Good photography should challenge, otherwise it could so easily be ignored.

Read more: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...#ixzz13d5eNIcL
    Subscribe to BJP and save money. Click here to save 29% today.

Quote Originally Posted by goering View Post
    How do we make ourselves better if we do not even comprehend why that was a winning photo?

I agree that judging, especially photos is very subjective but there should still be some reference or guideline. It is quite obvious that nobody other than the judges appreciate that photo .. I certainly don't
    i think you must take the two issues separately.

there is GOOD PHOTO, and there is PRIZE WINNING PHOTO.

while PRIZE WINNING PHOTOS should be GOOD PHOTOS, it is not necessarily so. not all GOOD PHOTOS win either.

why take competition so seriously? if it's a race, and you can't run that fast, at least you can train. in photography, maybe you can improve yourself, but if the judge doesn't like your photo, then how? knock head against wall?

i'm not saying that you dismiss every single competition as pointless - but be a bit more lighthearted, and stop worshipping every prize winning photo.... and expecting to be able to put it on a high pedestal. sometimes, there is an element of luck as well. cheers.

I think it is the same with why we gawd at some of the contestants in beauty pageants.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I think it is the same with why we gawd at some of the contestants in beauty pageants.
    Like ris low????? Boomz!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Like ris low????? Boomz!!!!!
    There are many others....but then beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. This particular photo being award winning will have its fair share of supporters. I think if you do bring your imagination up a notch and question what is in the plastic bag...is it drugs, a thick pile of money....it does bring a little more intrigue to the photo. But then I am trying to justify why the photo is powerful and not an instantanous reaction upon seeing the photo.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 28th October 2010 at 02:53 PM.

Blog Entries

IMHO such images are best appreciated/critiqued IN RELATION to the photographer's background and what they champion for and/or believe in.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

My mother has never won any awards, but i consider her the best cook in the world...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I think if you do bring your imagination up a notch and question what is in the plastic bag...is it drugs, a thick pile of money....it does bring a little more intrigue to the photo. But then I am trying to justify why the photo is powerful and not an instantanous reaction upon seeing the photo.
    It's a...

loaf of bread.

Or perhaps the loaf of bread was hollowed out and stuffed with drugs/money and the courier "taken out" in public park, with the hitman leaving his calling card in the form of the magazine(?) tucked into the right trouser pocket.

Okay, now I'm just rambling...
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    REPLY from one of the judges
    http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...-winning-image

Why pick the Michelle Sank image as an award winner? Itís a good question. Just what makes for a typical award-winning photograph? Another good question and one obviously open to debate as everyone will have favourites and conceptions about what the favourites might be.

The answer will always be evaluative and personal, so by choosing this I was not saying this is the best image in the world - it is not. It does however have a subtle quality. A cursory glance might dismiss it and those who are looking for the romantic ideal of a muscular photojournalism are unlikely to find it rewarding. It is not really a journalistic image, and should not be judged as such. As a single image it becomes isolated, it loses context and without such context the image itself does not really dictate to the viewer what it is about; possibly it has nothing profound to say about the world beyond that the fact the photographer took a picture of a man who was using a bag of bread to shield his face as he slept.

The image however does force questions. Another cursory glance could say it is an image of poverty, however it isnít; its visual clues of poverty such as the dirty hoodie butt up against its other clues, the rolled up magazine in the back pocket and the bagged bread. The picture does not give up an easy answer; its meaning is unresolved which makes for uncomfortable viewing, so uncomfortable as to be easily dismissed out of hand. When this image was first suggested I dismissed it Ė I didnít like it, but it grew on me. Why is this? I could drone on about abstracted formal qualities, colour and textual relationships and the like but that wouldnít answer it. I liked this image because it challenged me Ė challenged my assumptions about photography in ways the other images in the award didnít. Whilst most were technically proficient, and many were good photographs, many were derivative with familiar subjects; they simply looked like other peoples work. This is a problem.

The problem is that there is no one photography but many photographies; reportage, wedding, fashion, advertising, and art. In other words photography is a medium with many messages; each is not simple and discrete but concurrent, and increasingly the edges blur. The BJP award has to take this into consideration, and the work has to be judged with this in mind. Michelle Sankís image is one such image that defies simple photographic convention.

Saying all this there is, of course, a place for the traditional humanistic view of photojournalism but this is not to say that all photography should follow some proscriptive type, as the danger exists that it will become ossified in its own academic structures as the culture shifts, to become desiccated and remote as any bunch of dusty academic paintings which now lie forgotten. Sometimes photographers have to take risks Ė not just in photographing a subject, but to take risks with the image itself. As culture shifts photography has to move with it, to change and challenge if it is to remain vital. Good photography should challenge, otherwise it could so easily be ignored.

Read more: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...#ixzz13d5eNIcL
    Subscribe to BJP and save money. Click here to save 29% today.
    So many big words being thrown about, trying to justify their selection.

I am reminded of the winner of the 2009 World Press Photo http://www.worldpressphoto.org/index...&bandwidth=low, where women are shouting on top of a building in Iran during the recent riots after disputed elections. Technically the photo isn't great but it won anyway, beating out a lot of really great photos.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    IMHO such images are best appreciated/critiqued IN RELATION to the photographer's background and what they champion for and/or believe in.
    I have to agree with this. The jurors' decision will be clouded by their own activism and beliefs. But being a photo competition, shouldn't they be bipartisan? Rather than saying its good because it falls into their area of activism, shouldn't they judge it by the merit of the photo alone?

maybe thats why it won... if everybody understand it... its just another great photo... if nobody understand it and makes you really think hard... then its whats make is stand out among others...

isn't there once an exibition in UK i think where the exibit is just an empty room... well didn't Einstein said that imagination is more important than knowledge...
    Last edited by flowerpot; 28th October 2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    maybe thats why it won... if everybody understand it... its just another great photo... if nobody understand it and makes you really think hard... then its whats make is stand out among others...

isn't there once an exibition in UK i think where the exibit is just an empty room... well didn't Einstein said that imagination is more important than knowledge...
    Reminds me of John Cage's 4'33" composition.
    It's the only piano piece I can play.

If they need to explain why this photo should win, then this photo doesn't deserve to win

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12