Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Focal Length vs Minimum Focusing Distance

  1. #1
    Member skarekrow24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    279

    Default Focal Length vs Minimum Focusing Distance

    Hi, just want to clarify something.

    Does minimum focusing distance(MFD) necessarily increase with higher focal lengths? (i.e. is there a relationship between the focal length and MFD?) I was of the impression that lens with further focal lengths require more MFD, but am not fully certain.

    Can someone enlighten me on this subject?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Focal Length vs Minimum Focusing Distance

    Quote Originally Posted by skarekrow24 View Post
    Hi, just want to clarify something.

    Does minimum focusing distance(MFD) necessarily increase with higher focal lengths? (i.e. is there a relationship between the focal length and MFD?) I was of the impression that lens with further focal lengths require more MFD, but am not fully certain.

    Can someone enlighten me on this subject?

    Thanks in advance!
    excluding the macro lenses, generally I would tend to agree with you. But I think many people here can find exceptions, so it's a moot point really.

    * my 35, 50, 85 primes have progressively increasing MFDs, if that means anything to you.
    Exploring! :)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Focal Length vs Minimum Focusing Distance

    Quote Originally Posted by skarekrow24 View Post
    Hi, just want to clarify something.

    Does minimum focusing distance(MFD) necessarily increase with higher focal lengths? (i.e. is there a relationship between the focal length and MFD?) I was of the impression that lens with further focal lengths require more MFD, but am not fully certain.

    Can someone enlighten me on this subject?

    Thanks in advance!
    If you compare a 50mm F/2.8 macro vs a 50mm F/1.8, the MFD is different.

    50mm F/2.8 macro - 20 cm
    50mm F/1.8 - 34 cm

  4. #4
    Member skarekrow24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    279

    Default Re: Focal Length vs Minimum Focusing Distance

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    excluding the macro lenses, generally I would tend to agree with you. But I think many people here can find exceptions, so it's a moot point really.

    * my 35, 50, 85 primes have progressively increasing MFDs, if that means anything to you.
    Yes, that was what I noticed too in general (excluding macro lens), but was not sure whether it's true.

    Quote Originally Posted by OoStarDustoO View Post
    If you compare a 50mm F/2.8 macro vs a 50mm F/1.8, the MFD is different.

    50mm F/2.8 macro - 20 cm
    50mm F/1.8 - 34 cm
    Yes stardust, that what I expected for macro lens too.

    I guess my question(more specifically) is if we keep all other variables constant (max aperture, manufacturer, etc), whether MFD will increase with higher focal lengths, e.g. 85f1.4 vs 50f1.4 vs 24f1.4.

    I don't think it will really affect the way I shoot, its more a question out of curiosity.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Focal Length vs Minimum Focusing Distance

    Hi, The wider the lens, say 10mm, the MFD should be as near to subject as possible for better effect of image and DOF.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: Focal Length vs Minimum Focusing Distance

    Quote Originally Posted by skarekrow24 View Post
    Hi, just want to clarify something.

    Does minimum focusing distance(MFD) necessarily increase with higher focal lengths? (i.e. is there a relationship between the focal length and MFD?) I was of the impression that lens with further focal lengths require more MFD, but am not fully certain.

    Can someone enlighten me on this subject?

    Thanks in advance!
    My old Nikkor 200mmf4 can focus at a mfd of 2metre. While a Nikkor 200mmf4 Micro can focus close to ~0.7m. Both are same focal length. It depends on the design.
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 26th October 2010 at 03:35 PM.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Focal Length vs Minimum Focusing Distance

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, The wider the lens, say 10mm, the MFD should be as near to subject as possible for better effect of image and DOF.
    i don't understand what you're trying to say.

    MFD is a fixed property of a particular lens.

    "better effect of image and dof" ???
    Exploring! :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •