Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sling Bag VS BackPack

Default Sling Bag VS BackPack

Hi all,

I just bought a 300D + kit lens + 75-300mm lens.. I wanna get a camera bag which is not too large since at most i have only one body + 2 lens in my bag.

In the future, the accessories i MIGHT get is only a flash gun and a vertical grip so my question is,what bags do u guys reccomend?

Whats the adv of a sling bag over a backpack and vice versa.

Budgie Smuggler http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/..._smuggler.html
    seems to fit my current needs, anyone tried that bag before?

Last of all, where can i get the best price?

that smuggler is too small for consideration.

http://www.crumplerusa.com/images/pr...2_w_stuffb.jpg -> looks a lot like my fm2n body at the right compartment there... a normal flash at the centre and a short lens at the left.
    looking at dimensions, there's only 8 inches height, 5.5 width. that's small.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 10th June 2004 at 12:55 AM.

From my experience, if you go on travel, and need to carry more than just your camera and accessories (for example, a laptop), then backpack is the way to go, as it is easier to carry for a longer period of time. The drawback is that it takes more trouble getting the camera and accessories in and out of your bag.

For short day-trips, or when covering an event, the sling bag is the way to go because you need to have quick access to your equipment.

For myself, I own 3 bags: a Crumpler Farmer's Double backpack, a Lowepro Photorunner, and a Cullman sling bag. When I travel, I carry my camera and laptop in the backpack, and stuff the Photorunner in the main luggage. When on location and making sightseeing trips, I transfer my camera to the Photorunner. For local shooting I will use my sling bag most of the time.

Hope this helps.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    that smuggler is too small for consideration.

http://www.crumplerusa.com/images/pr...2_w_stuffb.jpg -> looks a lot like my fm2n body at the right compartment there... a normal flash at the centre and a short lens at the left.
    Thanks for pointing it out..
    what do you suggest based on my current arsenal of equipment then?

Try the Crumpler's 15 Love. I have that bag and it can fit 300D+ vertical grip, 550EX, 18-55mm, SIGMA 70-300mm, 50mm 1.8 and some space for extra batts + lens pen + cleaning cloth

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    From my experience, if you go on travel, and need to carry more than just your camera and accessories (for example, a laptop), then backpack is the way to go, as it is easier to carry for a longer period of time. The drawback is that it takes more trouble getting the camera and accessories in and out of your bag.

For short day-trips, or when covering an event, the sling bag is the way to go because you need to have quick access to your equipment.

For myself, I own 3 bags: a Crumpler Farmer's Double backpack, a Lowepro Photorunner, and a Cullman sling bag. When I travel, I carry my camera and laptop in the backpack, and stuff the Photorunner in the main luggage. When on location and making sightseeing trips, I transfer my camera to the Photorunner. For local shooting I will use my sling bag most of the time.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks roy,

As for now, i think i would cover events more than travelling hence i might not want a backpack yeah? Hmmz, crumpler's designs are pretty appealing but i wonder they can protect the camera well? If i'm not wrong, East Gear and Cp offers quite a good range of camera bag right? Do they offer the bets price too? Is East Gear at Penisular PLaza btw?

Quote Originally Posted by NiVleK
    Try the Crumpler's 15 Love. I have that bag and it can fit 300D+ vertical grip, 550EX, 18-55mm, SIGMA 70-300mm, 50mm 1.8 and some space for extra batts + lens pen + cleaning cloth

Thanks for the info...

How much and where did u get it from?

TCW has a shop upstairs with an utterly wide selection of camera bags, friendly staff too. U can check it out.

TCW has a shop upstairs with an utterly wide selection of camera bags, friendly staff too. U can check it out.
    thank you foxy! TCW also at PP right?

should be lah, the hotel side.

pls dun call me foxy...

should be lah, the hotel side.

pls dun call me foxy...
    haha, ok thanks foxtwo

Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryless
    haha, ok thanks foxtwo
    no problem.

ps. go to the main shop first to query, cos the shop upstairs might not be open. (and it's got no shop sign too... haha so finding it might be a bit*h)
    Last edited by foxtwo; 10th June 2004 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks for the info...

How much and where did u get it from?
    It should cost about $130 brand new at your friendly CP.

thank you foxy! TCW also at PP right?
    TCW is at Peninsula Shopping Centre, right beside Peninsula Plaza. You will see a Spinelli and Ruby on the ground floor. Walk pass Ruby and go right in and you'll see a shop selling second hand stuff. They import in Safrotto bags, which are basically rip off of popular designs (i.e. Lowepro and Domke), at affordable prices.

I'd recently gotten a backpack/slingbag from there!

Thank you very much to all those that replied..

I hope this thread is benefitial to nicholaslee too? Haha..

Thank you very much to all those that replied..

I hope this thread is benefitial to nicholaslee too? Haha..
    Yup! He should benefit from it, especially since he'd just gotten a brand new Canon 300D!!

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh

Agree, just came back from Taiwan, everyday carry 1 laptop, 2 lenses, 1 flash and 1 body in a mini trekker, walking and shooting from 10am to 6pm for 5 days and I am still alright with the weight. But with the 2nd lens in the backpack, i do think twice when i need to change lens, may be next time can get a lens pouch and hang the lens around the belt?

On the other hand if i take my sling bag and put 1 body, 1 lens and 1 flash, even half a day i can't take it liao.

bring both

If you are keen in having both a sling bag and a backpack, perhaps you would like to consider the Safrotto F series bags. The feature of this bag is that it could be converted from a sling bag to a haversack in seconds. You may wish to visit TCW to find out more about the bag!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    Yup! He should benefit from it, especially since he'd just gotten a brand new Canon 300D!!

Yes! went down with ordinaryless today to view those stuffs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast