Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789
Results 161 to 177 of 177

Thread: Driving from LA to San Francisco

  1. #161
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    Actually out of that 2.5 days, 1 entire day is for a local tour to yosemite, we're not driving there ourselves.. So ya, even lesser time for sf itself now..

    Will there still be snow on the way to yosemite in mid march?
    I think we should arrange a kopi session with DD123 and kriegs before your trip itinerary is finalized, so you can get more detailed advice.
    Read too many posts until blur liao

    You are trying to cover a heck of a lot during your trip
    Supposed to be romantic leh, not hectic!
    Exploring! :)

  2. #162
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    361

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    Actually out of that 2.5 days, 1 entire day is for a local tour to yosemite, we're not driving there ourselves.. So ya, even lesser time for sf itself now..

    Will there still be snow on the way to yosemite in mid march?
    Return trip or stay over? Hopefully its return trip... You can do SF in 1 day easy

  3. #163

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberTron88 View Post
    Just came back from my trip last month...

    I drove from SF -> Monterey -> San Luis Obispo -> LA

    The week I was driving, it was raining every day... and the sky is dark by 4pm.... BTW the stretch Monterey and San Luis Obispo, some parts of the road have some construction going on, and the road along the way can be foggy and winding. There are no street lighting on most part of the road, but the reflectors on the road are good enough, but unless you are a seasoned driver, no high speed driving along the stretch, probably 30-40mph on some winding stretch, as I dun want to drive off the cliff... :P

    I spend a night at the stop over, spend the next morning exploring the place, and drive off after lunch.

    There will be marked view points (vista points) a long the road where u can stop your car. 2G/3G internet (AT&T) access on some parts of the road is non existence as well...
    ahh.. i think for the windy parts of the trip i wont be the one driving, im already imagining horrible scenes, think i'll leave that part of driving to the hubby.

  4. #164

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I think we should arrange a kopi session with DD123 and kriegs before your trip itinerary is finalized, so you can get more detailed advice.
    Read too many posts until blur liao

    You are trying to cover a heck of a lot during your trip
    Supposed to be romantic leh, not hectic!
    actually im almost quite finalized already..somehow it just feels like i still dun have enough time! lol..

    Quote Originally Posted by sabrewolf View Post
    Return trip or stay over? Hopefully its return trip... You can do SF in 1 day easy
    its a return trip.. now thinking of scheduling yosemite on a sunday since shops in SF close rather early at 6pm on sundays i think..

  5. #165
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    actually im almost quite finalized already..somehow it just feels like i still dun have enough time! lol..
    that's good then!

    well, I'm sure you already know that a holiday is almost always never long enough!
    Exploring! :)

  6. #166

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    I went there last year and part of our Road Trip was from LA to SF. Truly one of the most beautiful places on earth.

    If anybody want some more information about my route and what to do just PM me.

    Btw.

    I've also been to Yosemite, Sequoia NP, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon too if there are any questions about those.
    Last edited by DeutscherHerold; 21st January 2011 at 03:28 PM.

  7. #167

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    has anybody been to death valley via a day tour and got to see the canyons among the other attractions like badwater basin and furnace creek? the day tours i keep seeing doesnt include the canyons.. seems like the canyons in death valley arent as huge as grand canyon, and thus easier to get to the canyon floor...

  8. #168

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    hey, how much US dollars did you change for your trip?
    You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

  9. #169
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by Junye View Post
    hey, how much US dollars did you change for your trip?
    I think credit card is safer than carrying around large stacks of cash.
    You'd probably only need cash for small items like fast food or snacks, that kind of thing. Accomodation, car rental, dining, shopping, etc can all be done with credit card.
    Exploring! :)

  10. #170
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I think credit card is safer than carrying around large stacks of cash.
    You'd probably only need cash for small items like fast food or snacks, that kind of thing. Accomodation, car rental, dining, shopping, etc can all be done with credit card.
    Yes, US is a totally credit card driven society. everything also can pay by card. Even gas station, you can swipe your card at the pump and pump the petrol yourself.

  11. #171
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,181

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    I am planning to go to Hawaii/Cali ard Sep/Oct via tour group. I going alone, so, can't go for free n easy. I love landscrape, that's why i got a wide lens.

    I hopes they allow me to bring my gear (ard 10kg?) on board else I got to think what can shift to luggage. I heard that some airlines really restrict 7kg hand carry but some ppl says, whatever u can carry, u can bring on board.

    I think of bring 2k USD there, should be enough. If really CC driven, I just change 1k USD will do? Will low rate nowadays, thinking of changing some after confirm the booking. If promotion still on, should i book now or wait for next NATAS fair? Will give them a call soon, check on some informations.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  12. #172
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    10kg sounds like a lot of gear Hope you manage to bring back really nice photos.
    If it's all in 1 backpack, I think should be able to get through without much problem.

    By changing more USD cash now, you're headging against possible exchange rate increase by the time Sept/Oct comes around. I'm no forex expert, so better not comment on that.
    Just be careful with your cash, not to show people that you've got a huge stack of it, etc. Also USD notes all look kinda the same, regardless of their denomination. Need to think of a system to separate the big notes from the small.

    If your tour group is not really geared towards photographers, their itinerary may not suit you. Thus do plan ahead and bring only the appropriate gear.
    Exploring! :)

  13. #173
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,181

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Not really much gear. 16-35mm, 28-75mm, 100mm macro n 50mm F1.4. I also got my net book with me ( this time, add galaxy tab too.) The battries for camera n flash, might be the causes. All of it can squeeze into one bag, heh heh!

    I read on the itinerary, mostly good for photos taking except 1 day, throw us @ casino. Maybe it can consider my free n easy as I can go other places to take photos too. From previous trip (Beijing), tour group wouldn't stay for the night for most places. So, I will miss the hoover dam for the lights.

    As long i can see the golden gate bridge, i am happy. Cause it's was my secondary school day dream....
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  14. #174
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Not really much gear. 16-35mm, 28-75mm, 100mm macro n 50mm F1.4. I also got my net book with me ( this time, add galaxy tab too.) The battries for camera n flash, might be the causes. All of it can squeeze into one bag, heh heh!

    I read on the itinerary, mostly good for photos taking except 1 day, throw us @ casino. Maybe it can consider my free n easy as I can go other places to take photos too. From previous trip (Beijing), tour group wouldn't stay for the night for most places. So, I will miss the hoover dam for the lights.

    As long i can see the golden gate bridge, i am happy. Cause it's was my secondary school day dream....
    Casino? Stopping by LV are ya?
    Well, the night lights are pretty spectacular... You can go walkabout whilst the rest gamble... hehehe
    Exploring! :)

  15. #175

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Credit card is acceptable everywhere here in the US. Just make sure you have a Identification with a photo of yourself (or better still credit card with photo). You can buy chewing gum even by credit card. not much minimum limit for credit card use in most places.

  16. #176

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Parts of Highway 1 closed.


    This highway information is the latest reported as of Friday, March 25, 2011 at 23:11 .


    SR 1
    [IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
    NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

    [IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
    IS CLOSED FROM 12 MI NORTH OF BIG SUR STATE PARK
    /AT THE BIXBY CREEK BRIDGE/ TO 10 MI SOUTH OF THE CARMEL RIVER BRIDGE
    /AT PALO COLORADO/ (MONTEREY CO) - DUE TO A SLIP-OUT - MOTORISTS ARE
    ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

    IS CLOSED 2.5 MI SOUTH OF LUCIA (MONTEREY CO) - DUE TO A MUD SLIDE
    - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

    1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 5 MI SOUTH OF THE JCT OF SR 84
    /AT THE PEBBLE BEACH ENTRANCE/ (SAN MATEO CO) 24 HRS A DAY THRU 0001 HRS
    ON 6/30/11 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

    1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 4.7 MI NORTH OF MANZANITA (MARIN CO) - DUE TO A
    SLIP-OUT

    IS SUBJECT TO LANE REDUCTIONS IN EACH DIRECTION 0.5 MI SOUTH OF LUCIA
    (MONTEREY CO) FROM 0700 HRS TO 1700 HRS MONDAY THRU FRIDAY THRU 9/2/11 -
    DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

    [IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
    NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.
    You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

  17. #177

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •