Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast

Thread: Driving from LA to San Francisco

Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Yup.. when I was working there, I was in Rockville. Nice but a little dry in any entertainment... Always ended up spending time (and feasting) in Cheesecake factory in White Flint mall...

I am really not the East Coast type... I'll take West Coast any day.
    Can't really beat New York though. But if its scenery you want, the West Coast does seem to have more stuff. There's natural scenery on the East Coast but they are more out of the way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
    Can't really beat New York though. But if its scenery you want, the West Coast does seem to have more stuff. There's natural scenery on the East Coast but they are more out of the way.
    Entertainment in NY is cool.. but I don't like living there...

I am more of a Bay area type of guy... after all I lived there 12 years.

Anyway, guys can take a look at my trip to Vegas

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802025
    Think fast, aim for the best !

just wana check, if i have 1 night to spare between gilroy and LA anaheim, and make my way via HWY 1 to Big Sur, I should stop overnight at Monterey or Cambria?

Monterey got more things to see, but Cambria is a better mid point in terms of resting after driving for so long...
    If stop at Cambria, Im afraid time in Monterey will be very rushed?

Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    just wana check, if i have 1 night to spare between gilroy and LA anaheim, and make my way via HWY 1 to Big Sur, I should stop overnight at Monterey or Cambria?

Monterey got more things to see, but Cambria is a better mid point in terms of resting after driving for so long...
    I vote Monterey....!

You can never spend too much time there...
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra
    I vote Monterey....!

You can never spend too much time there...
    Yea, but the journey from Monterey to Anaheim seems to be very long from google map though I havent checked how long will the drive be.

Then the big sur region is after Monterey, so assuming we stay a night at Monterey, the next day pia all the way down to Anaheim, where got time to stop and smell the flowers? Hehe..

Stay in Monterey, you have Monterey and Carmel. Leave early, Big Sur you can pass on the way, and take a rest break at Hearst Castle tour for lunch and leg strecthing. By 3pm you can gun it all the way to Anaheim, preferably on I-5 unless you wanna go the longer scenic route Hwy 1 (If it's already dark, theres nothing to see hehehee). Time it so reach LA area night time, you dont want to arrive LA around 5-7pm rush hour.

Yea, but the journey from Monterey to Anaheim seems to be very long from google map though I havent checked how long will the drive be.

Then the big sur region is after Monterey, so assuming we stay a night at Monterey, the next day pia all the way down to Anaheim, where got time to stop and smell the flowers? Hehe..
    wah! That is a long way.... darn...

so it's a choice whether the flowers smell nicer in monterey (thus justifying the early stop and subsequent long journey), or along the way to anaheim...

hmmm, I still vote monterey! You need time to enjoy the coastline there...
    The __-mile drive (suddenly forgot the number... 17?), all those famous golf courses... the flowers, the jagged rocks...
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 13th January 2011 at 02:33 PM.

You know, dats a gd idea! thanks! But gotta see what's beyond the big sur on HWY 1.. Since already travel so far, I wouldn't wana miss anything worth seeing..

just checked Google Maps.

Monterey to Anaheim is pretty far leh... almost 400 miles. Doesn't leave much (if any) time to stop and smell the flowers.
    Not able to squeeze in another night?

monterey!
    web | blog | fb | ig

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra
    just checked Google Maps.

Monterey to Anaheim is pretty far leh... almost 400 miles. Doesn't leave much (if any) time to stop and smell the flowers.
    Not able to squeeze in another night?
    Yea I mapped out all our driving routes last night.. Monterey to Anaheim is 600km about 8-9 hours in traffic.. In total we're driving almost 1700km n 22 hours on the road... Faint..

We actually cut short 1 day in sf to make time for Monterey.. How come time seems so little.. Haha

Yea I mapped out all our driving routes last night.. Monterey to Anaheim is 600km about 8-9 hours in traffic.. In total we're driving almost 1700km n 22 hours on the road... Faint..

We actually cut short 1 day in sf to make time for Monterey.. How come time seems so little.. Haha
    I did Monterey-Vegas 12 hour before... took a long time due to the stops for leg strecthing, but it all is worth it once you sleep it off at your destination. Just drink plenty of water, once you are at the outskirt of LA you should be fine, plenty of stuff to see instead of just empty strecth of road.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrewolf

I did Monterey-Vegas 12 hour before... took a long time due to the stops for leg strecthing, but it all is worth it once you sleep it off at your destination. Just drink plenty of water, once you are at the outskirt of LA you should be fine, plenty of stuff to see instead of just empty strecth of road.
    Are we able to anyhow stop on the side of the road just to take pics or get out for a slight stretch?

For the highways in states, wads the diff between 3 numbered n 2 number highways like HWY 508 or HWY 52? Smaller number = bigger highway n easier to drive? Cus while planning using google map, can choose the highway..

There will be places where you can stop on the side of the road, for strecthing and stop, I-5 generally has many small towns and gas stations along the way. Interstate is the main road for major travel, Hwy is generally smaller. As for the numbering I dont think they mean anything other than odd number goes north south, while even number goes east west I believe

Hmmm more explanation Here

There will be places where you can stop on the side of the road, for strecthing and stop, I-5 generally has many small towns and gas stations along the way. Interstate is the main road for major travel, Hwy is generally smaller. As for the numbering I dont think they mean anything other than odd number goes north south, while even number goes east west I believe
    Thanks sabrewolf!

I've decided to squeeze a day out for stopover at Monterey and another day of stopover at Cambria. Cus didn't want to rush the journey and end up not enjoying and not having any photograph opportunities. =p

But now headache is after squeezing only have 2.5 days in sf, which means I have to do Alcatraz, yosemite, cycle across the bridge, check out suasalito and the usual stuff in 2.5 days! Gosh..

Does everybody really rent the bicycles for a whole day? I checked blazing saddles, all their rates are daily rates..

On another note, I think enkindel should be back from his trip already! Hope it was fun!

Thanks sabrewolf!

I've decided to squeeze a day out for stopover at Monterey and another day of stopover at Cambria. Cus didn't want to rush the journey and end up not enjoying and not having any photograph opportunities. =p

But now headache is after squeezing only have 2.5 days in sf, which means I have to do Alcatraz, yosemite, cycle across the bridge, check out suasalito and the usual stuff in 2.5 days! Gosh..

Does everybody really rent the bicycles for a whole day? I checked blazing saddles, all their rates are daily rates..

On another note, I think enkindel should be back from his trip already! Hope it was fun!
    I'm afraid you might be forced to skip Yosemite... its far and travel will be slow if there is snow. I dont think you will have enough time in 2,5 days. There is always Mt Diabloe nearby hahahaha Mt Diablo

I'm afraid you might be forced to skip Yosemite... its far and travel will be slow if there is snow. I dont think you will have enough time in 2,5 days. There is always Mt Diabloe nearby hahahaha Mt Diablo
    Actually out of that 2.5 days, 1 entire day is for a local tour to yosemite, we're not driving there ourselves.. So ya, even lesser time for sf itself now..

Will there still be snow on the way to yosemite in mid march?

Just came back from my trip last month...

I drove from SF -> Monterey -> San Luis Obispo -> LA

The week I was driving, it was raining every day... and the sky is dark by 4pm.... BTW the stretch Monterey and San Luis Obispo, some parts of the road have some construction going on, and the road along the way can be foggy and winding. There are no street lighting on most part of the road, but the reflectors on the road are good enough, but unless you are a seasoned driver, no high speed driving along the stretch, probably 30-40mph on some winding stretch, as I dun want to drive off the cliff... :P

I spend a night at the stop over, spend the next morning exploring the place, and drive off after lunch.

There will be marked view points (vista points) a long the road where u can stop your car. 2G/3G internet (AT&T) access on some parts of the road is non existence as well...
    Last edited by CyberTron88; 20th January 2011 at 01:18 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast