Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 177

Thread: Driving from LA to San Francisco

  1. #101
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    vegas also in nevada right? so from vegas, issit feasible to take 2 days out and hit lake tahoe from vegas? or am i trying to squeeze too much... hmmm

    we'll pass by half moon bay and monterey on the way down from SF to LA right? its like in the middle of that I5.. from the map i see la.. but if outta the way, den gotta settle for 2nd best...
    Nevada is also thin and long like california.

    Lake Tahoe is in north Nevada.

    Vegas is in south Nevada... very far apart.

    It is around twice the distance between SF and LV.

    If you really want to hit lake tahoe, go from SF. Then return to SF, and continue south bound to LA and LV.

    And if you do hit lake tahoe, you may want to consider visiting Reno, NV, which is a mini Vegas.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 15th November 2010 at 12:15 PM.

  2. #102

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Nevada is also thin and long like california.

    Lake Tahoe is in north Nevada.

    Vegas is in south Nevada... very far apart.

    It is around twice the distance between SF and LV.

    If you really want to hit lake tahoe, go from SF. Then return to SF, and continue south bound to LA and LV.

    And if you do hit lake tahoe, you may want to consider visiting Reno, NV, which is a mini Vegas.
    ooh wah.. so many places to go.. so little time...

  3. #103

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    from LA to vegas, anything interesting along the way if we drive?

    issit better to fly from LA to Vegas via domestic flight?

    i checked southwest, if 2 way its 100usd/pax and 1 hour flight time..

  4. #104
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    from LA to vegas, anything interesting along the way if we drive?

    issit better to fly from LA to Vegas via domestic flight?

    i checked southwest, if 2 way its 100usd/pax and 1 hour flight time..
    airport in USA very high security hor...

    2 hours to check in and clear security, 1 hour flight. So each way you need 3 hours.

    You drive yourself from LA to vegas, 3.5 hours. And you get to use the car within vegas...

    And money you spend on taxi will be a lot more than gasoline and car rental. Remember taxi in USA is very expensive, 3-4 times more.

    Your call. I will drive.

  5. #105

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    airport in USA very high security hor...

    2 hours to check in and clear security, 1 hour flight. So each way you need 3 hours.

    You drive yourself from LA to vegas, 3.5 hours. And you get to use the car within vegas...

    And money you spend on taxi will be a lot more than gasoline and car rental. Remember taxi in USA is very expensive, 3-4 times more.

    Your call. I will drive.
    my gf just came back from USA.. she took virgin from SF to vegas, and southwest from vegas to SF.... said just need to reach 1 hr before flight time.... but yah i know need to cater for buffers......

    vegas itself not very jammed? got the monorail to take right?

    btw, i read also need TSA approved locks for your baggage, and maybe better to have the word TSA printed on the lock too! cus her hubby's lock got snipped even though it was TSA approved (just no word TSA on it), and got rubbish thrown into the luggage, that was from Incheon to SFO and again from SFO to Incheon! her hubbs was so madd!

  6. #106
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    bitez, you and hubbs both drive?
    If yes, then driving is by far the recommended option. Even if it's a bit longer, the convenience is still worth it. Imagine having to lug your shopping and luggage from hotel --> taxi --> airport and then in reverse order.... siong...


    yes if you fly into or out of USA, spend the extra on the TSA-approved locks. I think the logo is quite obvious. That security person must be damn daft to snip the lock if it's TSA-approved...
    Exploring! :)

  7. #107

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    bitez, you and hubbs both drive?
    If yes, then driving is by far the recommended option. Even if it's a bit longer, the convenience is still worth it. Imagine having to lug your shopping and luggage from hotel --> taxi --> airport and then in reverse order.... siong...


    yes if you fly into or out of USA, spend the extra on the TSA-approved locks. I think the logo is quite obvious. That security person must be damn daft to snip the lock if it's TSA-approved...
    yea we both drive, but i hope they have alot of auto cars available, i forgot how to drive manual car alr.. been years.. :x
    hmmm... ok ok will consider the car vs domestic route again... dun wanna spend so much energy finding our way and reading maps on holiday.. cus i thought SF to LA will be enriching enough for a drive...

    haha apparently the security personS either dun like the sight of the bag, or both are blind.... so should get extra lock for the extra lugagge we gonna bring back too or go there n buy cheaper?

  8. #108
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    yea we both drive, but i hope they have alot of auto cars available, i forgot how to drive manual car alr.. been years.. :x
    hmmm... ok ok will consider the car vs domestic route again... dun wanna spend so much energy finding our way and reading maps on holiday.. cus i thought SF to LA will be enriching enough for a drive...

    haha apparently the security personS either dun like the sight of the bag, or both are blind.... so should get extra lock for the extra lugagge we gonna bring back too or go there n buy cheaper?
    Got a GPS? My Garmin Nuvi (old model) was bought in the States. it came preloaded with USA maps. They're a bit out-dated now, but should still be useable. Can loan you if you want.

    regarding the cars.... I think most there are autos... not sure if my opinion of Americans is correct, but I reckon most of them don't know how to drive "stick shift"

    the locks... hmmm... difference shouldn't be much. Can buy here quite cheap. Just avoid those "National Geographic" kind of branded stores. Should be fine.
    Exploring! :)

  9. #109

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Got a GPS? My Garmin Nuvi (old model) was bought in the States. it came preloaded with USA maps. They're a bit out-dated now, but should still be useable. Can loan you if you want.

    regarding the cars.... I think most there are autos... not sure if my opinion of Americans is correct, but I reckon most of them don't know how to drive "stick shift"

    the locks... hmmm... difference shouldn't be much. Can buy here quite cheap. Just avoid those "National Geographic" kind of branded stores. Should be fine.
    i dun have a GPS.. but any GPS we get in sg also can? then we load the USA maps in ourselves?
    else the rented car should come with a GPS too if willing to pay more right?

    hha ok thanks for the tips!

  10. #110
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    i dun have a GPS.. but any GPS we get in sg also can? then we load the USA maps in ourselves?
    else the rented car should come with a GPS too if willing to pay more right?

    hha ok thanks for the tips!
    I'm no expert in GPS stuff...

    If I'm not mistaken, the GPS unit will come with the map of the locale where you bought the unit. So if it's a Singapore model, you get Singapore and probably W Malaysia maps preloaded.

    Before I bought my GPS unit, I discovered an active GPS community (malsingmaps) in Singapore, where I could download slightly outdated maps of Singapore for free. They have different versions, but mainly for popular brands like Garmin, TomTom, etc. Also at that time, GPS will still relatively new in Singapore, and prices were significantly higher than in USA.

    I remember my Garmin Nuvi 200 cost about USD170 (about SGD 260) at the time, and it was selling for about $499 here. So I got my GPS unit there (w USA maps) and then downloaded the Singapore/W Malaysia maps locally. So now I have 'best of both worlds'
    Exploring! :)

  11. #111
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    yea we both drive, but i hope they have alot of auto cars available, i forgot how to drive manual car alr.. been years.. :x
    hmmm... ok ok will consider the car vs domestic route again... dun wanna spend so much energy finding our way and reading maps on holiday.. cus i thought SF to LA will be enriching enough for a drive...

    haha apparently the security personS either dun like the sight of the bag, or both are blind.... so should get extra lock for the extra lugagge we gonna bring back too or go there n buy cheaper?
    Trust me, drive in LV better... middle of night can got makan at chinatown after gambling...

    And yes, all rentals are auto.

  12. #112

    Default

    I just came back from Las Vegas.

    My trip:

    Singapore -> Japan (Narita) 7 hrs

    Japan -> L.A 11 hrs

    L.A -> L. Vegas 1 hr flight

    In Las Vegas, there isn't a need to rent a car or taking cab.

    The public bus, RTC Transit is fast, the drivers are friendly and there are screens and speakers telling you to alight at which stop.

    RTC Transit -- Both Double Decker and Single Decker Buses

    For adults:

    2 hrs Unlimited Rides -- USD 5

    24 hrs Unlimited Rides -- USD 7

    3 days Unlimited Rides -- USD 20

    To Las Vegas Premium Outlets
    -- ladies will love to shop at Coach, Kate Spade, etc.. very cheap
    From the Strip take a bus around 20 mins.

    Hope my sharing is a nice contribution.

    At there, there's one camera shop I found so far, beside Caesars Palace. Forgot the shop name.

    Checked the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (Cos I wanna buy that lens), 399 USD -- No warranty.. End up I didn't buy, as I bought lots of Coach Bags and Kate Spade Bags for my friends (Tag me to buy) and I think I bought around 200 Tshirts and Jeans where I need to ship it back..
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  13. #113
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    I just came back from Las Vegas.

    My trip:

    Singapore -> Japan (Narita) 7 hrs

    Japan -> L.A 11 hrs

    L.A -> L. Vegas 1 hr flight

    In Las Vegas, there isn't a need to rent a car or taking cab.

    The public bus, RTC Transit is fast, the drivers are friendly and there are screens and speakers telling you to alight at which stop.

    RTC Transit -- Both Double Decker and Single Decker Buses

    For adults:

    2 hrs Unlimited Rides -- USD 5

    24 hrs Unlimited Rides -- USD 7

    3 days Unlimited Rides -- USD 20

    To Las Vegas Premium Outlets
    -- ladies will love to shop at Coach, Kate Spade, etc.. very cheap
    From the Strip take a bus around 20 mins.

    Hope my sharing is a nice contribution.

    At there, there's one camera shop I found so far, beside Caesars Palace. Forgot the shop name.

    Checked the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (Cos I wanna buy that lens), 399 USD -- No warranty.. End up I didn't buy, as I bought lots of Coach Bags and Kate Spade Bags for my friends (Tag me to buy) and I think I bought around 200 Tshirts and Jeans where I need to ship it back..
    Too bad you didn't buy in factory outlets.. you could have save a lot more. And LV (especially ceasars) sucks for camera equipment.

  14. #114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Too bad you didn't buy in factory outlets.. you could have save a lot more. And LV (especially ceasars) sucks for camera equipment.
    Las Vegas Premium Outlets is actually the factory outlets. The stuffs there are freaking cheap...
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  15. #115
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    Las Vegas Premium Outlets is actually the factory outlets. The stuffs there are freaking cheap...
    Oh ok... missed that part.. thought you shopped in Ceasars.

    Best time to shop outlets (or anywhere in the US) is during memorial day, thanksgiving and the day after christmas.

  16. #116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Oh ok... missed that part.. thought you shopped in Ceasars.

    Best time to shop outlets (or anywhere in the US) is during memorial day, thanksgiving and the day after christmas.
    nah... after shopping in outlets, i really can't shop in Caesars, Treasure Island..etc... Price too expensive already !!..

    example, helping my friend to buy a Coach Purse, same model and design, in outlets, is USD 20, but in Venetian, its USD 48.

    And ya, thanksgiving do have additional offers like additional 20% off...

    I really enjoy shopping there, and the weather is damn shiok.. around 15 deg cel in day and 8 deg cel in night. Whole trip didn't sweat at all..

    The people there are really nice too. Especially when I am shopping in Outlets, the sales people would often welcome me, like saying " Hi, How are you doing ?" or "Hello, is everything okay ?" and "Our shop here do have additional 20% off ticket price".. This is what in Singapore, you wouldn't be able to get such service..

    During my whole trip, I didn't even heard a single word of foul language..
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  17. #117

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    ooh thanks all for sharing.. will check back again if i have anything to share or any advice to heed

  18. #118
    Member DrSpock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Warp back to Simei
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    Las Vegas Premium Outlets is actually the factory outlets. The stuffs there are freaking cheap...
    Most of the size are XXXXL & not much for asian sizes. Only good for maybe shoes or bags
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

  19. #119
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSpock View Post
    Most of the size are XXXXL & not much for asian sizes. Only good for maybe shoes or bags
    Lucky I am big sized.

  20. #120

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSpock View Post
    Most of the size are XXXXL & not much for asian sizes. Only good for maybe shoes or bags
    not really, i bought alot of M sizes T shirts and waist 32 jeans...

    for brand like Gap, tee shirts just cost around 5 USD and jeans like levis are 19.90 USD..
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •