Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 177

Thread: Driving from LA to San Francisco

  1. #81

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by enkindel View Post
    What about the drive up to San Francisco via the coastal Highway 1? How are the road conditions in early december and what should I look out for? Any driving or traffic tips?

    First time driving Left-hand drive so pretty nervous hehe

    In fact got lots of nervous souls, esp my parents who are a bit apprehensive about driving trips especially when it comes to bringing their darling grandchildren. hehe They say why not pay a bit more and fly domestic. But how to go gilroy, see monterey, half moon bay, morro bay, big sur like dat???

    This thread has been very useful, thanks guys!
    enkindle...
    if ur wifey drives, then can take turns to drive, den not so tiring and dangerous for you? but of cus let her drive on the straight roads..

  2. #82
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    gd deal u got!

    just to check.. wad setup shd i bring? i have a kit 18-105.. 50 f1.8, and probably 35 f1.8 / 11-16 by the time we go.... cant possibly bring all lens... tripod is a must i reckon?
    T11-16
    35/1.8
    18-105.
    tripod (best to put in luggage, get a small one like sirui T-1005x or T-1205x)

    Enough for any trip already.

  3. #83

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    T11-16
    35/1.8
    18-105.
    tripod (best to put in luggage, get a small one like sirui T-1005x or T-1205x)

    Enough for any trip already.
    just curious.. why the 35mm over 50mm? our tripod's the T1204

    edit: im guessing its so dat we can use the 35mm to zi pai.. haha
    Last edited by bitez; 12th November 2010 at 12:05 PM.

  4. #84
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    just curious.. why the 35mm over 50mm? our tripod's the T1204
    T1204 also good enough...

    35mm on DX = 50mm FOV... Just nice... more multipurpose as well as some portraits.

    50mm on DX = 75mm FOV, more suitable for close up portraits.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th November 2010 at 06:19 PM.

  5. #85

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    T1204 also good enough...

    35mm on DX = 50mm FOV... Just nice... more multipurpose as well as some portraits.

    50mm on DX = 75mm FOV, more suitable for close up portraits. Let you see the diff...
    woah ur wifey? nice.. thanks for the advice!

  6. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ágætis byrjun
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Since we are at it, my setup for the trip:
    10-20+24-105+35 f2

  7. #87
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    woah ur wifey? nice.. thanks for the advice!
    Yup my wife.

    No problem.

  8. #88

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    yah i was actually thinking of taking public transport within SF itself... and renting a car to get frm one city to another to enjoy the scenic route along the way... currently thinking of SF - LV - LA.. and yosemite and grand canyon in between if possible... same route as TS, just opposite direction...

    thanks for the tip on the moisturizer and sunblock! hahaha i nv leave home without that.. is chinatown in SF worth going? i mean, like the food there really nice compared to sg's?
    If you do go to Chinatown in SF try to find the Dungeness crab. These crabs are huge and meaty and will remind you of chili crab or black pepper crab back in Singapore. Not sure if they are in season though....

    Try to get rid of your car in SF (if you are in downtown SF). You can walk and/or take public transportation. Having a car will be more of a pain (you have to worry about parking, etc).

  9. #89

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    barstow stuff cheaper than gilroy? if it is, its gd, cus LA is the last leg of our journey, no need to lug so many things around. hahah...

    any recommendations for cheap n safe accomodation in SF, LA and Vegas? casually checked some B&B in LA, omfg its $120/night at least!
    For Las Vegas you should be able to find cheap accommodations at one of the casino hotels during the winter as long as it is not the weekend or if there is a holiday/convention going on.

  10. #90

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by sabrewolf View Post
    Yes, better to do SF>LA>Vegas>LA, I did Monterey to Vegas once.. bad mistake... was seeing double by the time I reach Vegas

    Hmmm I have been hearing that Gilroy is better now, last time I went to Barstow was many years ago so this might be true.
    Sabrewolf is correct. Do SF to LA to LV to LA.

    We made the mistake of coming from LV to SF in December a few years ago through Lake Tahoe and there was 30 feet of snow in the Lake Tahoe area. Not much fun at all. Although the roads were plowed, you could not see the lines of the road....

    Take interstate 15 from LA to LV and back. Less hassle for sure.

  11. #91
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    bitez,

    forgot to mention... for most factory outlets, pricing is usually the same if same store. For eg, Nike factory store in Gilroy will have same pricing in Nike factory store in Barstow. The only thing you need to worry about is if the brand has a store in the next outlet.

    As for accomodation in Las vegas, I recommend you book online with Luxor or Excalibur. I have been always been able to book rooms for US$ 58 to 78 per night.

    http://www.luxor.com/
    http://www.excalibur.com/?CMP=KNC-Google-Excalibur_Corp

    I think there is an offer now on excalibur, according to the website, rooms starting from $39 a night!

    Buffet in Vegas, one of the most value for money will be the seafood buffet at Rio. But go early please. Line for buffet is around 45 mins long. Or you can always pop by chinatown to eat. Chinatown is surrounding the chinese/taiwanese Ranch 99 supermarket. Kim Tar BBQ is good for quick eats. Sam Woo is excellent for HK style food. Both are 24 hrs. I cannot remember the exact street name, you can probably map it out in google. Just search of Ranch 99 Las Vegas. If you are driving down Las Vegas Blvd with mirage on your left, take a left turn at the major road after Treasure Island, 2 blocks later turn left again... it will be right there. Ranch 99 will be excellent to stock up on Soy bean drink, and all your local chinese goodness... yes, can even buy singapore sambal chilli sauce there.

  12. #92
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ágætis byrjun
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Now planning my route, i'm wondering if I can take Interstate 5 to reach Morro Bay or the southern start of the Big Sur?

    It looks like Highway 101 - Highway 1, but kinda want to bypass that route via Santa Barbara as it looks quite long, if i'm not wrong its a 4-5 hours of drive covering about 240miles.

    Main idea for the drive is to see the Big Sur, Monterey Bay, 17-mile drive, Half Moon Bay.

    If I leave at 8am from LA and drive for 4-5 hours i'll prolly reach Morro Bay around 1pm thereabouts. I should prolly stop for a nite at Morro Bay as it'll get dark by around 5 and no way can i reach monterey on time before it gets dark.

  13. #93

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by rnb65p View Post
    If you do go to Chinatown in SF try to find the Dungeness crab. These crabs are huge and meaty and will remind you of chili crab or black pepper crab back in Singapore. Not sure if they are in season though....

    Try to get rid of your car in SF (if you are in downtown SF). You can walk and/or take public transportation. Having a car will be more of a pain (you have to worry about parking, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by rnb65p View Post
    For Las Vegas you should be able to find cheap accommodations at one of the casino hotels during the winter as long as it is not the weekend or if there is a holiday/convention going on.
    wooh... i heard abt the yummy crabs in SF, but i thought its at fisherman's wharf? i dun eat crabs but now learning so dat can enjoy over there.. im goin in march, spring time.. so no snow! is lake tahoe near grand canyon? might be takin a 1 day tour to grand canyon...

  14. #94
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    wooh... i heard abt the yummy crabs in SF, but i thought its at fisherman's wharf? i dun eat crabs but now learning so dat can enjoy over there.. im goin in march, spring time.. so no snow! is lake tahoe near grand canyon? might be takin a 1 day tour to grand canyon...
    There is still snow on Tahoe and higher regions in march.

    Lake Tahoe is closer to Sacremento. CA and Reno, NV. Which is in the north. Lake Tahoe city is funny in that half the city is in california, and half the city is in Nevada. So you find all the casinos in the Nevada side. Cannot buy alcohol after 2am in California? nevermind, step over to the other side and buy in Nevada. I like Lake Tahoe because you can go skiing (snowboarding), take a cruise with dinner on Lake tahoe, and at the same time hit casinos. If you are going there, and want some recommendations, I know this seafood restaurant that is to die for.

    Grand Canyon is in Arizona is nearer to Las vegas, south side of NV. It starts at the border of arizona and nevada, where hoover dam is.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 15th November 2010 at 11:08 AM.

  15. #95
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    wooh... i heard abt the yummy crabs in SF, but i thought its at fisherman's wharf? i dun eat crabs but now learning so dat can enjoy over there.. im goin in march, spring time.. so no snow! is lake tahoe near grand canyon? might be takin a 1 day tour to grand canyon...
    BTW... best crabs in california is not in SF. It is actually in half moon bay and monterey.

  16. #96

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    bitez,

    forgot to mention... for most factory outlets, pricing is usually the same if same store. For eg, Nike factory store in Gilroy will have same pricing in Nike factory store in Barstow. The only thing you need to worry about is if the brand has a store in the next outlet.

    As for accomodation in Las vegas, I recommend you book online with Luxor or Excalibur. I have been always been able to book rooms for US$ 58 to 78 per night.

    http://www.luxor.com/
    http://www.excalibur.com/?CMP=KNC-Google-Excalibur_Corp

    I think there is an offer now on excalibur, according to the website, rooms starting from $39 a night!

    Buffet in Vegas, one of the most value for money will be the seafood buffet at Rio. But go early please. Line for buffet is around 45 mins long. Or you can always pop by chinatown to eat. Chinatown is surrounding the chinese/taiwanese Ranch 99 supermarket. Kim Tar BBQ is good for quick eats. Sam Woo is excellent for HK style food. Both are 24 hrs. I cannot remember the exact street name, you can probably map it out in google. Just search of Ranch 99 Las Vegas. If you are driving down Las Vegas Blvd with mirage on your left, take a left turn at the major road after Treasure Island, 2 blocks later turn left again... it will be right there. Ranch 99 will be excellent to stock up on Soy bean drink, and all your local chinese goodness... yes, can even buy singapore sambal chilli sauce there.
    u read my mind abt the shopping! so if i see i shld just grab eh? but to lug so much stuff from city to city... -.-"

    for the dates dat im agar agar looking at, its 100usd/night for weekends and 46/night for weekdays for excalibur.. luxor more exp... is there any major difference in vegas if i spend only the weekdays there?

    i guess in vegas itself we dun have to drive right? since if we just walk along the strip and explore, it shd be within walking distance? haha thanks for ur quick eats restaurants..

    qn:
    can we dump some stuff in LA when we reach, leave for vegas den come back to LA and collect them? cus we're departing from LA ultimately, dun wanna lug all of the stuff to vegas and back again....

  17. #97
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    u read my mind abt the shopping! so if i see i shld just grab eh? but to lug so much stuff from city to city... -.-"

    for the dates dat im agar agar looking at, its 100usd/night for weekends and 46/night for weekdays for excalibur.. luxor more exp... is there any major difference in vegas if i spend only the weekdays there?

    i guess in vegas itself we dun have to drive right? since if we just walk along the strip and explore, it shd be within walking distance? haha thanks for ur quick eats restaurants..

    qn:
    can we dump some stuff in LA when we reach, leave for vegas den come back to LA and collect them? cus we're departing from LA ultimately, dun wanna lug all of the stuff to vegas and back again....
    Yes... weekends are gambling days for gamblers mah.. weekdays are super cheap and buffet more empty...

    Taxi can get ex in vegas. I would still drive. Parking in hotels are all free. But I will park in cluster. For example I will park in bellagio or ceasars, and visit Treasure island, Mirage, Venetian, Paris, Bellagio, ceasars... all clustered la... and some hotels have light rail running from one hotel to the next.

  18. #98
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    qn:
    can we dump some stuff in LA when we reach, leave for vegas den come back to LA and collect them? cus we're departing from LA ultimately, dun wanna lug all of the stuff to vegas and back again....
    Do you have friends in LA? if you do, then no problem. If not, I suggest you lock them in the trunk of the car. cover it with some newspaper or cloth or something.

  19. #99

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    There is still snow on Tahoe and higher regions in march.

    Lake Tahoe is closer to Sacremento. CA and Reno, NV. Which is in the north. Lake Tahoe city is funny in that half the city is in california, and half the city is in Nevada. So you find all the casinos in the Nevada side. Cannot buy alcohol after 2am in California? nevermind, step over to the other side and buy in Nevada. I like Lake Tahoe because you can go skiing (snowboarding), take a cruise with dinner on Lake tahoe, and at the same time hit casinos. If you are going there, and want some recommendations, I know this seafood restaurant that is to die for.

    Grand Canyon is in Arizona is nearer to Las vegas, south side of NV. It starts at the border of arizona and nevada, where hoover dam is.
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    BTW... best crabs in california is not in SF. It is actually in half moon bay and monterey.
    vegas also in nevada right? so from vegas, issit feasible to take 2 days out and hit lake tahoe from vegas? or am i trying to squeeze too much... hmmm

    we'll pass by half moon bay and monterey on the way down from SF to LA right? its like in the middle of that I5.. from the map i see la.. but if outta the way, den gotta settle for 2nd best...

  20. #100

    Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Do you have friends in LA? if you do, then no problem. If not, I suggest you lock them in the trunk of the car. cover it with some newspaper or cloth or something.
    no frds in usofA at all.. ok.. guess nowhere's safer than with us...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •