Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving from LA to San Francisco

Default Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

My apologies for the lil hiatus......Preoccupied with work, clearing up work before the trip. Now can finally sit down and plan.

Finally booked my tics. Went for the open jaw and scrapped doing the loop drive.

SIN - LAX via tokyo and return SFO - SIN via tokyo (staying over tokyo for 3 nites)

Thus I have a good 2 weeks in Cali state.

My tentative itinerary:
    1) Sin-LA (4 nights in LA, usual places: Disney, Universal, city tour etc anywhere else?)
    2) LA to SF via Highway 1 (I will have to break my journey somewhere midpoint, eg cambria)
    3) SF (staying in oakland area)

My wife wants to see the grand canyon and hoover dam, should I drive to the canyons or will it be cheaper to take a tour from the hotel in LA?

I've heard of major car rental companies like H#rtz and A#is that overbook and instances whereby you show up with a confirmation and they do not have a car and refund you the cash. Any recommendations for a good rental company in the heart of LA?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enkindel View Post
    My apologies for the lil hiatus......Preoccupied with work, clearing up work before the trip. Now can finally sit down and plan.

Finally booked my tics. Went for the open jaw and scrapped doing the loop drive.

SIN - LAX via tokyo and return SFO - SIN via tokyo (staying over tokyo for 3 nites)

Thus I have a good 2 weeks in Cali state.

My tentative itinerary:
    1) Sin-LA (4 nights in LA, usual places: Disney, Universal, city tour etc anywhere else?)
    2) LA to SF via Highway 1 (I will have to break my journey somewhere midpoint, eg cambria)
    3) SF (staying in oakland area)

My wife wants to see the grand canyon and hoover dam, should I drive to the canyons or will it be cheaper to take a tour from the hotel in LA?

I've heard of major car rental companies like H#rtz and A#is that overbook and instances whereby you show up with a confirmation and they do not have a car and refund you the cash. Any recommendations for a good rental company in the heart of LA?

thanks
    hey enkindle
    seems like we're on a similar route, but reversed.. hence ur thread is very useful to me...

has anybody caught a Lakers match in LA bef?

If you have the chance, should try to visit Yosemite. Although be careful if its snowing...

Also the drive from LA to SF, if possible do it when the sun is down if you are going by Interstate 5, California sun will cook you otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Driving to Vancouver? watch out for very slippery roads in Oregon and Washington state. Rest when tired, pull over at rest stops, drink coffee etc... If too tired, just check into a motel. don't push on to save money if you are tired. I have already lost several friends to accidents while on long distance drives due to dozing off at the wheel. Happened to me once too, but was very lucky neither me nor my passengers were hurt.
    Be especially careful around California-Oregon border, Shasta county I believe. Tons of snow usually in November around Thansgiving

Quote Originally Posted by sabrewolf View Post
    If you have the chance, should try to visit Yosemite. Although be careful if its snowing...

Also the drive from LA to SF, if possible do it when the sun is down if you are going by Interstate 5, California sun will cook you otherwise
    can we just rent a car for the sake of driving interstate? and dump it when we reach the next state? cus i think driving within the state itself is troublesome, plus all the parking problems i read... car is useful for the scenery between the states i reckon?

i believe if u go with the major car rental companies, u can have different pick up and drop off, but there is additional surcharge, basically is like pay someone to drive it back for ya.

If ya renting car, do check if you can drive to Grand Canyon... cos some are restricted to within California only.

Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    can we just rent a car for the sake of driving interstate? and dump it when we reach the next state? cus i think driving within the state itself is troublesome, plus all the parking problems i read... car is useful for the scenery between the states i reckon?
    Which part of your trip has the parking problem? I've lived in San Francisco for couple of years and really parking is not too bad as long as you adhere the general rules of staying away during rush hour. A good time to enter the city is 10am-3pm, when everyone else is at work.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberTron88 View Post
    i believe if u go with the major car rental companies, u can have different pick up and drop off, but there is additional surcharge, basically is like pay someone to drive it back for ya.

If ya renting car, do check if you can drive to Grand Canyon... cos some are restricted to within California only.
    I believe most rentals consider Nevada as part of California for driving purposes due to border town (Lake Tahoe and Las Vegas), but yes, do check with the rental companies.

Well, at least the company I planning to rent does not cover Grand Canyon. Lake Tahoe and Vegas is ok though. So I might drive to Vegas, then rent another car for a day to Grand Canyon or something or follow a day tour.

There's also restrictions like no snow chains are allowed, but snow cables are ok, but insurance does not cover if snow cable are used. So my plan if it snows at Yosemite, I plan to drive to merced, park my car there, and take the bus from there to Yosemite instead.

Which part of your trip has the parking problem? I've lived in San Francisco for couple of years and really parking is not too bad as long as you adhere the general rules of staying away during rush hour. A good time to enter the city is 10am-3pm, when everyone else is at work.
    hmm how much issit a day for rental and parking? ball park figure? cus i thought SF's transport system is pretty good, and i read from gocalifornia.about.com the parking bit of a prob.. and actually i was also thinking, since its our first time there, will we use the car so much in SF itself?

Well, at least the company I planning to rent does not cover Grand Canyon. Lake Tahoe and Vegas is ok though. So I might drive to Vegas, then rent another car for a day to Grand Canyon or something or follow a day tour.

There's also restrictions like no snow chains are allowed, but snow cables are ok, but insurance does not cover if snow cable are used. So my plan if it snows at Yosemite, I plan to drive to merced, park my car there, and take the bus from there to Yosemite instead.
    merced is a city? how long is the bus trip from merced to Yosemite? its a one day trip there and back or ure staying there for a night?

im sorry im just in the starting phase of planning, many things unsure.. :X

hmm how much issit a day for rental and parking? ball park figure? cus i thought SF's transport system is pretty good, and i read from gocalifornia.about.com the parking bit of a prob.. and actually i was also thinking, since its our first time there, will we use the car so much in SF itself?
    Oh, you meant day parking? I assumed you mean street parking for sightseeing. Day parking depends on where you are staying, most area are free after 6pm, with the exception of downtown. If you are staying in downtown, i'm afraid you are pretty much screwed... day parking can cost more than $20. A little tip, park at exactly 5pm, you get 1hr free parking and when 6pm hits you can park overnight

Bus system is pretty much excellent, same fare regardless of distance. Again, avoid rush hour... http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/official.htm for maps
    Last edited by sabrewolf; 9th November 2010 at 04:26 PM.

Oh, you meant day parking? I assumed you mean street parking for sightseeing. Dar parking depends on where you are staying, most area are free after 6pm, with the exception of downtown. If you are staying in downtown, i'm afraid you are pretty much screwed... day parking can cost more than $20. A little tip, park at exactly 5pm, you get 1hr free parking and when 6pm hits you can park overnight

Bus system is pretty much excellent, same fare regardless of distance. Again, avoid rush hour... http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/official.htm for maps
    ooh okok.. thanks for the link! yea i mean if u were to drive to golden gate bridge, and park there and walk the bridge, and back.. and travel to other sight seeing area... issit more feasible with a car or without?

Ya can check out the bus from merced here http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2010/140hwy030310.pdf

I plan to stay over a nite at Yosemite

I cycle once from the fisherman's wharf across the golden gate bridge to sausalito and then took a ferry back... quite fun

ooh okok.. thanks for the link! yea i mean if u were to drive to golden gate bridge, and park there and walk the bridge, and back.. and travel to other sight seeing area... issit more feasible with a car or without?
    Totally feasible with car, with bus you are gonna lose time waiting for it, and many places are only worth driving through anyway IMHO

Golden Gate Bridge, park on the other side across the bridge (Right turn just after the bridge), its FREE (US$6 to return to San Francisco though) and much much bigger parking lot Try to go early in the morning, too many tourist midday and hard to find parking. Avoid weekend if possible.

From there you can go to Sausalito for lunch and what not, try to finish all the sightseeing North of Golden Gate Bridge (Napa and Sonoma County) so you make that $6 bridge toll worth it

I can give you a couple of pointers for SF, I normally show my tourist friends around town in my car. I think there's an 'official' route http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/ma...cenicdrive.asp
    I normally just mix and match from that route depending on the time available.
    Last edited by sabrewolf; 9th November 2010 at 04:53 PM.

Ya can check out the bus from merced here http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2010/140hwy030310.pdf
    I plan to stay over a nite at Yosemite
    woh thanks! im not thinking of stayin overnight, but if bus journey v long like 3 hrs one way... and the walk ard yosemite takes 5 hrs, den maybe more feasible to stay a night.. but limited time leh...

I cycle once from the fisherman's wharf across the golden gate bridge to sausalito and then took a ferry back... quite fun
    woo sounds fun.. u rented the bicycle?

I think from SF to Yosemite, you somehow need to pass by Merced too... so if is snowing, I dowan to take the risk to drive on snow since I've not done that before.

Yeah...ya can rent a bicycle there...but u need to put some deposit using ya credit card, which ya get back when ya return ya bike.

Totally feasible with car, with bus you are gonna lose time waiting for it, and many places are only worth driving through anyway IMHO

Golden Gate Bridge, park on the other side across the bridge (Right turn just after the bridge), its FREE (US$6 to return to San Francisco though) and much much bigger parking lot Try to go early in the morning, too many tourist midday and hard to find parking. Avoid weekend if possible.

From there you can go to Sausalito for lunch and what not, try to finish all the sightseeing North of Golden Gate Bridge (Napa and Sonoma County) so you make that $6 bridge toll worth it

I can give you a couple of pointers for SF, I normally show my tourist friends around town in my car. I think there's an 'official' route http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/ma...cenicdrive.asp
    I normally just mix and match from that route depending on the time available.
    early in the morn like how early? 7am? we're on the south side of the bridge issit? im thinking of catching the day and sunset view of it...

wah of the 49Mile scenic drive, i only recognise a few more prominent places, ie chinatown,pier39, fisherman's wharf, alcatraz, ghirardelli sq, lombard str, golden gate bridge of course.... the rest, r they worth seeing? cus like the TS, i only have maybe 4-5 days to do this.... gotta factor in the shopping of course...

I think from SF to Yosemite, you somehow need to pass by Merced too... so if is snowing, I dowan to take the risk to drive on snow since I've not done that before.

Yeah...ya can rent a bicycle there...but u need to put some deposit using ya credit card, which ya get back when ya return ya bike.
    going in march, so no snow.. ohh, no need to pay for the bike? just put deposit? sounds gd... but of cus not so gd if were to cycle UP the many slopes in SF.. :x

of cos ya need to pay for the bike rental... can't remember how much...is not that cheap for 2-3hrs...the main slope is going up the golden gate bridge...after that is pretty much downslope all the way

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast