Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50mm on crop frame => more?

Default Re: 50mm on crop frame => more?

Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    hmmm now is the next question judging from what i understand..i believe ppl should rather get a camera which has a crop factor?since it kind of "magnify" what u see

but why would ppl still get full frame?
    the common reasons cited are:

(1) feels good
    (2) looks good
    (3) feel pro
    (4) look pro

here are some better reasons:

(1) better control of depth of field
    (2) greater amount of detail, assuming you give the camera the best glass (which costs $$$ - justifiable for hobbyist? you decide)
    (3) better high iso performance (for now, CF is catching up)

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    wider angles is a moot point.

the widest rectilinear lens for a full frame camera is 12mm.

the widest rectilinear lens for a crop frame camera is 8mm. with 1.5x crop factor, that's... 12 mm hey presto.
    Hmm true true but in cases where the person only owns one FX lens, the FX body would come in useful for wider angles, not saying that the person can't get the DX lens but... well you know what i mean right, some people only buy FX lenses "just in case" they wanna go full frame.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Hmm true true but in cases where the person only owns one FX lens, the FX body would come in useful for wider angles, not saying that the person can't get the DX lens but... well you know what i mean right, some people only buy FX lenses "just in case" they wanna go full frame.
    oh no.... here we go again....
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Sounds confusing and probably is confusing for many.
    1) On Canon (and TS is using Canon) you cannot mount DX lenses on FX bodies (in Canon terms: mounting EF-S lenses on a film / full frame body).
    2) Certain lenses simply don't exist as DX lenses. Have a look at the lens line-up.
    3) Certain FX lenses (Canon: EF, even L series) perform slightly better when used on a crop body (vignetting, corner sharpness).
    Last edited by Octarine; 26th October 2010 at 10:02 AM.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Sounds confusing and probably is confusing for many.
    1) On Canon (and TS is using Canon) you cannot mount DX lenses on FX bodies (in Canon terms: mounting EF-S lenses on a film / full frame body).
    2) Certain lenses simply don't exist as DX lenses. Have a look at the lens line-up.
    3) Certain FX lenses) Canon: EF, even L series) perform slightly better when used on a crop body (vignetting, corner sharpness).
    Haha yes, it sounds confusing, guess I was half asleep when i typed that. I understand what you mean. I'm just saying that some people go for FX lenses for the "just in case" reason. Then of course they can't get as wide an angle as on a full frame body

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12