ISO 1600 NR On

ISO 3200 NR On
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

Default Re: [Review] Samsung NX10

ok...who want to sell me one?

Blog Entries

1 OCT 2010 Friday

I was invited by Dan, Ben and BananaDiver to shoot at a Teochew Chinese Opera performance at McPherson area this evening . Troupe is in town for the next 30 days ..... so you guys might want to check this out. Backstage shooting is possible but be nice and put on lots of smiles and be prepared to email them TFCD images (please dont give empty promises... its only fair )

I packed along the NX10 and the 3 lenses with me

Be nice and be considerate if you happen to be backstage........ space is TIGHT and performers are rushing left right and everywhere dressing up, changing costumes and YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE A HINDERANCE. Most of the actors are OK with being photographed..... some are not ... SO RESPECT that if a couple of them do not wish to be photographed

I was shooting mostly at ISO 800 or 1600 with Noise Reduction turned OFF

Last edited by ed9119; 2nd October 2010 at 11:27 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Feedback to Samsung ........ get a UWA lens out soon please ...... the shortest focal length I had on hand was only 18mm (27mm in FF equivalent)...... a 10mm or wider would be great in tight environments

Back to the Teochew Opera..... this troupe is from China and the huge difference vs Singapore's own opera troupes is that many of the performers are very young..... quite a few 18 and 19 year olds mixing it up with the veterans

This is also where I got to see the true classical Teochew beauty ha ha ha !!!

Last edited by ed9119; 2nd October 2010 at 03:03 AM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Given the slight color cast in nighttime lighting, the AWB of the NX10 did very well given the circumstances

AF was pretty decent, only hunted a little more in very low lighting situations (I had turned off the focus assist lamp)

Walkeast

Blog Entries

Walkeast

Blog Entries

The on-board built in flash performed well with sufficient output ..... I might turn it down 1/3 to 1/2 for less noticeable fill-in

Chinese opera is no joke........... its extremely hot, uncomfortable and very aerobic for the performers ..... this guy just came if off the front stage

Yes, step carefully and stay out of the way if you happen backstage shooting.... LOTS of props like this hanging all over the place..... ALOT of the head dresses and costumes I was told are literally more than 100+ years old.... so be careful

Walkeast

Blog Entries

The roof of the Hong San Temple is beautiful .... the long Samsung zoom at 200mm end could reach the roof without much effort........ pretty good performer too

Overall conclusions after handling this for an evening:

1. Well built
    2. Nice colors even in WB-biased situations the AWB did a decent job
    3. surprisingly the 50-200 is a very well-built lens and a very decent performer
    4. the viewfinder diopter adjustment dial was stepless but stayed in place firmly
    5. shooting with it, I was happy. It is NOT blindingly fast but it is no tortise either
    6. 18 to 200mm (27 to 300mm equiv) in one small package
    7. the 20/2 is sweet and bokeh is nice

This system is NOT going to replace any DSLR system anytime soon so if you are looking at such comparisons ........ dont waste your time looking here ..... Otherwise someone on a budget would love this NX10 package ........ perfect outfit for :

1. Older folks who have problems carrying heavy equipment
    2. Younger people who are on a very tight budget
    3. Parents who want to start their children out on photography will love this (it will take a fair bit of beating ... SORRY Samsung, I was not gentle on your test set, just threw everything into my backpack and tossed it around a bit accidentally without any problems )
    4. Lite holiday/backpacking adventure travelling
    5. A businessman who needs to carry a laptop or briefcase more than a camera bag will love this system .... it will not fit into my pants pocket but it will certainly fit into a a larger laptop bag and most certainly a regular backpack

What can be improved
    1. NEED A UWA LENS .....or for that matter, Samsung needs to release MORE lenses .... on the wider side.
    2. Keep the AEL button WELL seperated from the +/- button in your next model (they are just a little too close to one another
    3. the Menu button is located top left of the back of the camera which is totally strange ....... almost all brands have their Menu buttons located on the middle OK button

bokeh is nice and round
    Last edited by ed9119; 4th October 2010 at 09:04 AM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

2 OCT 2010 Saturday

The Chinese Opera was still fresh in my mind when I woke up this morning.... Benny Asrul got in touch with me. He's a very good fine art photographer.... he had just recently published a book Monochromia Botanica ...... plants in B&W .... I was never too much of a plant or still life shooter but Benny could squeeze emotion out of a leaf in B&W

I arm-twisted him into joining me for a bit of a walkabout in Little India instead of locking himself up in the darkroom at home sniffing fumes

No post processing done at all in the following pics ....... just resize and a bit of Unsharp Mask applied I think I shot at ISO160..... please check the exif to verify this and other details ..... I'm not really a Pepping 'EXIF' Tom

No this is not Benny..... this fella in the picture is from Kedah, been in Singapore for the last 6 years working in a barber shop in Little India. We had just gotten to know him during his coffee break

Owner of the Coffee shop on corner of Weld and Dickson Rd in Little India.... giving us his 'you GWC .... you paid for the kopi and toast yet ?' look

Actually he is friendly to photographers ........ just as long as we buy something from his shop...... love this joint all the time..... they still sell takeaway coffee in tin-cans

Most customers were regulars in a very Cheers-like environment

Benny was getting his weapon of choice ready.....
    Last edited by ed9119; 2nd October 2010 at 11:50 PM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

You CANNOT say NO to a day like this...........

Those who did not appreciate good light just went about their coffee break silently cursing us for pulling up the roll-down blinds to let the light stream in

Pixelation caused by saving image in low resolution....... nothing to do with the camera
    Last edited by ed9119; 4th October 2010 at 11:14 PM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Color output is nice .....nice.....niceeeee..........

Side of delivery truck ...... WHAT ON EARTH ARE Indian Fruits ???
    Last edited by ed9119; 2nd October 2010 at 11:53 PM.
    Walkeast

hi Eddie...
    nice job on the pics from the NX10... looks like it handles quite well during the shoot yesterday...
    really looks small compared to my camera...
    http://www.yeechaokoh.com/
    What's the use of "depth of field" if there's no "depth of feelings...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BananaDiver View Post
    hi Eddie...
    nice job on the pics from the NX10... looks like it handles quite well during the shoot yesterday...
    really looks small compared to my camera...
    Your Nikon D3s is in a totally different league altogether bro'. !!! The NX10 ... And likely the coming NX100 ... Is aimed at a different group of folks who are not demanding die-hard photogs like you who shoot day in and day out LOL !!! Or who are keen photographers who are unable or not want to be weighted down...... ha ha ha not everyone is a strapping young man in the prime of their youth !!! Even I am getting older with bad shoulder and joints heh hah heh !!!

One feedback to Samsung, Sony , Panny , Oly and other manufacturers ...... GREAT job with coming out with such small camera bodies that pack a punch ..... Do consider coming out with smaller, flatter lenses to REALLY streamline the compact factor...... These cams paired with a pancake eg 20mm look so good ... Give us a similar kit zoom and shorter focal length primes too

I dont know who this elderly gentleman is..... saw him shooting with this at the Kite Festival a couple of weeks back....... he liked the camera very much. We chatted for a while and he mentioned "Its light and compact and very decent performer ..... and dont have to break my back shooting at my age !"

If anyone knows who he is, please have him PM me . Would like to give him a copy of his image file.
    Last edited by ed9119; 3rd October 2010 at 11:08 PM.
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Your Nikon D3 is in a totally different league altogether bro'. !!! The NX10 ... And likely the coming NX100 ... Is aimed at a different group of folks who are not demanding die-hard photogs like you who shoot day in and day out LOL !!!

One feedback to Samsung, Sony , Panny , Oly and other manufacturers ...... GREAT job with coming out with such small camera bodies that pack a punch ..... Do consider coming out with smaller, flatter lenses to REALLY streamline the compact factor...... These cams paired with a pancake eg 20mm look so good ... Give us a similar kit zoom and shorter focal length primes too
    lol yes bro... i agree totally that these cameras should come out with more smaller and flatter lenses to streamline the compact factor... not sure if kit lenses can be done or not but at least make more prime lenses to tempt me over...
    http://www.yeechaokoh.com/
    What's the use of "depth of field" if there's no "depth of feelings...

Blog Entries

Cropped to protect the innocent adults from embarassment
    Quite a few parents brought along DSLRS to shoot their kids at a birthday party..... Started out very eagerly shooting

Then the wifey takes over the camera-lugging duties ....

Naturally, it gets tiring....

Really tiring

Of course there are other ways to keep the DSLR safely out of the way while looking after thie kids at the party..... something every parent looks forward to at every kid's party LOL !!!

Last edited by ed9119; 5th October 2010 at 10:17 AM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

While the little girls have fun running around and shooting .......... all day

APOLOGIES these above images were shot with a G10 + kit lens
    Last edited by ed9119; 5th October 2010 at 11:48 AM.
    Walkeast

ed9119,

You have done great justice to the NX10. I am quite amazed with the ISO handling and excellent color rendtion. There is another thread on using legacy lenses on the NX10 which I am very interested to explore, maybe you should combine both threads here. Thanks.
    Home is where the heart is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    ed9119,

You have done great justice to the NX10. I am quite amazed with the ISO handling and excellent color rendtion. There is another thread on using legacy lenses on the NX10 which I am very interested to explore, maybe you should combine both threads here. Thanks.

welcome ! Spidey and me try our best !

i know that thread and have asked a day back to see if TS interested in merging
    Last edited by ed9119; 7th October 2010 at 11:23 AM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

For those of you who are keen to pair up the NX10 body with lenses from other manufacturers (Japanese AND German) check out this thread on the use of lens-to-NX10 adaptors

lens-to-NX10 adaptors Thread HERE
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

NX10 paired with a Zeiss 28-85 vario-sonnar zoom via adaptor

NX10 paired with the legendary Zeiss 85/1.4 planar via adaptor

Images courtesy of CS'er CAV328
    Last edited by ed9119; 7th October 2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Walkeast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast