Thread: Food - Hairy Crabs

Default Food - Hairy Crabs

My first attempt at posting in critique.
    Lens: 50mm f/1.4
    Aperture: f/2.8
    ISO: 100
    Shutter speed: 1/60

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Looking for comments on overall composition, lighting and color.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Attempt at food photography. Convey the beauty of seasonal food.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Indoor, morning, natural light from windows mainly to the front and right of frame.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like the natural lighting and the color.

Thank you.

Default Re: Food - Hairy Crabs

I would prefer the to move a bit more closer to the crabs for the composition, the exposure seems ok. However, I think the image could have been sharper, you could try to shoot at f/2. Most lenses produces the sharpest image at about 2 stops down (f/2.8 in this case) from the largest aperture, you can probably compromise a bit at f/2.0 to maintain DOF after getting closer to the crabs.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

I agree on cropping it more tighter so that the crap will seems a lot more bigger than what it is now. Tiny cooked crab on the plate. Or unless this is what you what to portray.

Just a suggestion. Maybe can try shooting at a slightly faster shutter speed cos it is still a little soft to me.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    I would prefer the to move a bit more closer to the crabs for the composition, the exposure seems ok. However, I think the image could have been sharper, you could try to shoot at f/2. Most lenses produces the sharpest image at about 2 stops down (f/2.8 in this case) from the largest aperture, you can probably compromise a bit at f/2.0 to maintain DOF after getting closer to the crabs.
    Thanks for the comment on composition. Appreciate the rule of thumb but I always felt f/2.8 was sharpest for the 50mm f/1.4 lens on a full frame. I will give f/2.0 a go next time.

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    I agree on cropping it more tighter so that the crap will seems a lot more bigger than what it is now. Tiny cooked crab on the plate. Or unless this is what you what to portray.

Just a suggestion. Maybe can try shooting at a slightly faster shutter speed cos it is still a little soft to me.
    Thanks for suggestion on a faster shutter speed. Maybe try that with f/2.0 to eliminate the dreamy effect. May have to compensate for exposure. I am always interested in plating versus food. The different types, shapes and color of plates and how they go with the food being presented.

I feel it's not bad...probably more close up can give more impact(not sure if you can do it with the 50mm mfd) and on the 1st crab look oof...focus seems to be on shell...should look better if focus is on the crab's right eye tt's seeking attention.

WB, exposure are fine...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    I feel it's not bad...probably more close up can give more impact(not sure if you can do it with the 50mm mfd) and on the 1st crab look oof...focus seems to be on shell...should look better if focus is on the crab's right eye tt's seeking attention.

WB, exposure are fine...
    Not sure I could have got any closer, I think i pretty much max. out the mfd. Thanks for your comments on the focus, will work on that.