Thread: LightRoom vs Photoshop

Default LightRoom vs Photoshop

Hi peeps,

Newbie here! Just want some comments on editing photos.

Which is better? Lightroom or Photoshop? And where to buy Photoshop at good price!

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Default Re: LightRoom vs Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by Mobulas Pt View Post
    Hi peeps,

Newbie here! Just want some comments on editing photos.

Which is better? Lightroom or Photoshop? And where to buy Photoshop at good price!

Cheers and thanks in advance!
    Depends on what you mean by better?

Both are very good at what they are designed to do. Some people use both in their workflow.

Price does not deviate too much. But if you are a student and use the software for non commercial purposes, you can buy it at the student price. Just ask around in SLS. You will need to show proof of your status as a student.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Depends on what you mean by better?

Both are very good at what they are designed to do. Some people use both in their workflow.

Price does not deviate too much. But if you are a student and use the software for non commercial purposes, you can buy it at the student price. Just ask around in SLS. You will need to show proof of your status as a student.
    Both got their own strength... Best is to have both of them...

Lightroom is great for light editing (cropping, white balance, tilting, lens correction, gradual filter etc) and management for photos. In short, if ya just wanna upload photo to facebook or clubsnap, lightroom is good enough for ya.

Photoshop is useful if u wanna do more complicated editing... mainly if u wanna send your photos for competition or for professional purposes...

For me 90% I am using lightroom as I normally upload my photo to facebook or photobucket for sharing purpose. If for commercial or photoshop purpose then I would use photoshop... Hope it helps your decision. :-D

They are both very powerful tools, i dare say

Lightroom: Apply many changes to a photo in one click.

Lightroom is more of a workflow tool and to make general modifications to the entire picture
    It is designed for raw workflow. If you are handling a very large number of raw files, Lightroom will help you sort, track and filter them.

Photoshop: Further manipulate an area of a photo and do more than what is available.

Quoting from a website: Photoshop is capable of many things that Lightroom cannot do and isn't designed to do. Photoshop is a fully featured graphics application, whilst Lightroom is for processing and managing image files from camera to end usage, such as printing, displaying on the web etc.

However i prefer LR because its very simple to use. And editing is very fast. (I AM LAZY SOMETIMES )

Furthermore changes you make to the photos in the develop section are nondestructive, which means they can be reversed/changed in the future.

P.S i got both LR (version 2) and PS (CS5)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ultimaform View Post
    They are both very powerful tools, i dare say

Lightroom: Apply many changes to a photo in one click.

Lightroom is more of a workflow tool and to make general modifications to the entire picture
    It is designed for raw workflow. If you are handling a very large number of raw files, Lightroom will help you sort, track and filter them.

Photoshop: Further manipulate an area of a photo and do more than what is available.

Quoting from a website: Photoshop is capable of many things that Lightroom cannot do and isn't designed to do. Photoshop is a fully featured graphics application, whilst Lightroom is for processing and managing image files from camera to end usage, such as printing, displaying on the web etc.

However i prefer LR because its very simple to use. And editing is very fast. (I AM LAZY SOMETIMES )

Furthermore changes you make to the photos in the develop section are nondestructive, which means they can be reversed/changed in the future.

P.S i got both LR (version 2) and PS (CS5)
    You should seriously look at an upgrade to LR3. It is so much stronger than v2.

In the old pre v3 days, we have to export LR to PSD to do any sort of lens distortion correction and NR. LR3 now provides that as well as a much stronger NR algorithm.

That said, there are still many things you cannot do in LR, like anything to do with layers, and exposure blending.

For people on a budget, you can also consider GIMP, which is freeware, and it covers 80% (with the proper free plugins installed) of the capability of what CS5 is capable of. Yes, that in includes the famous content aware fill.