Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 89

Thread: Detailed comparison - Fuji S602 vs Nikon 5700

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  2. #42

    Question

    http://jjj.image.pbase.com/u11/mu/la...20.Temple1.jpg

    the two pictures quality are too far apart.
    doesnt seem like fair test to me.
    weird thing is the 3mp looks sharper than the 5mp?!?!?

    did the guy do some sharpening in photoshop?? the bright pixels of higlights look like it to me.
    can any1 enlighten me? is the guy workin for fuji??
    or is this fuji 602 really tt good to have a auto sharpen filter built in?

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    something to chew on?
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3381381
    well, the person is saying in the scenario that he had S602 and want to upgrade, personally i dun think s602 to 5700 is needed... now what i want is just choose one of them

    btw, today went to sim lim, most of shops run out of stock for 5700... this wierd for me, so famous till all shops out of stock??? after that i was asking around in people's park centre, the lowest price for nikon 5700 is 1550, and 1250 for fuji S602. too bad today can't find a chance to touch nikon...

    oh ya, there is one shop in people's park centre said he sell nikon 5700 at 1300, i was very shock and ask whether can be cheaper, he said 1200.... then i asked to take a look he said it's not available in his shop yet and will get it from his store next week. however i think he is bluffing, imagine i asked for his namecard, "don't have", shop telephone number, "don't have".....

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    u n k n o w n
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Originally posted by s1762
    http://jjj.image.pbase.com/u11/mu/la...20.Temple1.jpg

    the two pictures quality are too far apart.
    doesnt seem like fair test to me.
    weird thing is the 3mp looks sharper than the 5mp?!?!?

    did the guy do some sharpening in photoshop?? the bright pixels of higlights look like it to me.
    can any1 enlighten me? is the guy workin for fuji??
    or is this fuji 602 really tt good to have a auto sharpen filter built in?
    I think you better think or look carefully. One thing I want to say is that you might be fooled by the pictures. A lot of factors come into play?. Please don't trust your first glance until you have made the comparison carefully. .....(I think I should keep my mouth shut now.....)

    This is the info in the link:
    The Nikon image is unedited. The Fuji image has been downsampled from it's native 6Mp image size and optimized with image editing tools.
    Last edited by 007; 14th September 2002 at 11:17 PM.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Cool

    ChenWei, like I said before, dd is greater than ss. What better testament to a great camera except for that fact?

    Anyway, don't believe what the reviews say, go test it and look at print results based on exact same parameters.

    As for going to Sim Lim, have u tried Alan Photo? They are authorised Nikon dealers, the ought to have it (one of the better price place). Never go to Chinatown unless u r a tourist waiting to be ripped off! Those shops there will quote u ridiculous prices to attract u, but they will never sell it to u at those prices! Remember, the cost price of the 5700 cannot be at $1200 when the RRP is at $1880! U honestly think the profit margin these days is so good? If u wanna try go to Harvey Norman and Courts, play there but never buy from them!

    Also camera sellers are not fools, they know the 5700 is a great cam (after all the reviews have been good, read AP and even T3) and there is a lot of buyers out there who read reviews. They will not sell it less than 1500 unless they are crazy or that one is a display piece. Think abt it, why they sell it to u so cheap and make so little profit when they know others will pay a higher price than u? If I am a seller, I will also keep my piece and sell it to some Ang Mo who will pay $1800 for that piece who still claim it to be cheap (after all in UK u pay abt S$2500 for that camera as their GST is way above Singapore's 3%). Pse note that why Singapore is a haven for foreign camera buyers is becos of the low GST and the fact that we do not have an electronic gds tax!

    Today, I was at Lord's Cameras (tel 62354605/67378774) at Lucky Plaza and James still have one piece. I just bought a spare battery for my 5700. His price is reasonable and probably the best around Lucky Plaza?

    Sometime back I was told that Nikon does not have much to distribute and even authorised dealers are limited to 5 pcs and they are not sure how soon the next shipment will arrive.

    To confuse u more, do u wanna wait for the Dimage 7HI?

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by s1762
    [url]the two pictures quality are too far apart.
    doesnt seem like fair test to me.
    weird thing is the 3mp looks sharper than the 5mp?!?!?
    If I may say so, resolution has nothing to do with sharpness.

    A 1MP pic can be as sharp as a 100MP pic when viewed on screen.
    Last edited by mpenza; 14th September 2002 at 11:40 PM.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by chenwei

    well, the person is saying in the scenario that he had S602 and want to upgrade, personally i dun think s602 to 5700 is needed... now what i want is just choose one of them
    yup, agree it's not exactly the same scenario. There're some words of wisdom there though which I tend to agree with.

    Originally posted by chenwei

    btw, today went to sim lim, most of shops run out of stock for 5700... this wierd for me, so famous till all shops out of stock??? ........eek. however i think he is bluffing, imagine i asked for his namecard, "don't have", shop telephone number, "don't have".....
    Try it out in Harvey Norman or other big electrical stores. Then, buy elsewhere

    A note when you're buying the camera. Check the one you're buying for dead pixels on the LCD AND the EVF. Generally shops do allow exchange but you should save the trouble of going back. Another check you may want to do is take some pics, especially at full zoom. A friend bought a 2100UZ only to discover it has problems focussing and metering at full zoom. All pics taken at full zoom come out blur and underexposed. Other sets he tried later were ok.
    Last edited by mpenza; 15th September 2002 at 12:06 AM.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    just wondering.... if instead of Nikon, the 5700 was from another company like Konica, Casio, HP, etc, would there be as much interest?
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by jeff chen
    Today, I was at Lord's Cameras (tel 62354605/67378774) at Lucky Plaza and James still have one piece. I just bought a spare battery for my 5700. His price is reasonable and probably the best around Lucky Plaza?
    Do they sell accessories? Maybe, can get stuff from them in the future Could we quote your name?
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Originally posted by jeff chen
    ChenWei, like I said before, dd is greater than ss. What better testament to a great camera except for that fact?

    Anyway, don't believe what the reviews say, go test it and look at print results based on exact same parameters.

    As for going to Sim Lim, have u tried Alan Photo? They are authorised Nikon dealers, the ought to have it (one of the better price place). Never go to Chinatown unless u r a tourist waiting to be ripped off! Those shops there will quote u ridiculous prices to attract u, but they will never sell it to u at those prices! Remember, the cost price of the 5700 cannot be at $1200 when the RRP is at $1880! U honestly think the profit margin these days is so good? If u wanna try go to Harvey Norman and Courts, play there but never buy from them!

    Also camera sellers are not fools, they know the 5700 is a great cam (after all the reviews have been good, read AP and even T3) and there is a lot of buyers out there who read reviews. They will not sell it less than 1500 unless they are crazy or that one is a display piece. Think abt it, why they sell it to u so cheap and make so little profit when they know others will pay a higher price than u? If I am a seller, I will also keep my piece and sell it to some Ang Mo who will pay $1800 for that piece who still claim it to be cheap (after all in UK u pay abt S$2500 for that camera as their GST is way above Singapore's 3%). Pse note that why Singapore is a haven for foreign camera buyers is becos of the low GST and the fact that we do not have an electronic gds tax!

    Today, I was at Lord's Cameras (tel 62354605/67378774) at Lucky Plaza and James still have one piece. I just bought a spare battery for my 5700. His price is reasonable and probably the best around Lucky Plaza?

    Sometime back I was told that Nikon does not have much to distribute and even authorised dealers are limited to 5 pcs and they are not sure how soon the next shipment will arrive.

    To confuse u more, do u wanna wait for the Dimage 7HI?
    heheee... that's in fact what i want to do... I really want to touch and feel and try it b4 i made decision. the first shop i went in sim lim is alan photo, they said they run out of stock and asked me to go back next week. too bad i got to walk and ask around however no luck to see it...

    for chinatown, i just happenned to pass by there, my choice will definitely not there... i heard lucky plaza there's a shop for nikon and can actually try there, is it truth? btw, which unit no is the Lord's Cameras?

    my friend asked me to take a look on 7HI also, but from the photo, i dun really like it's shape ler... seem like will feel uncomfortable when i holding it...

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    just wondering.... if instead of Nikon, the 5700 was from another company like Konica, Casio, HP, etc, would there be as much interest?
    er... well.... i ..... dun..... think........ i ..... will .... be .... in ... the ... list.......

    Originally posted by mpenza
    Do they sell accessories? Maybe, can get stuff from them in the future Could we quote your name?
    heheeee.... if quote a name will do, pls, let me too...

  12. #52

    Default

    It must be the same shop that quoted me $1300 for my f707 last december. It was selling at around $1700 then.

    Originally posted by chenwei

    well, the person is saying in the scenario that he had S602 and want to upgrade, personally i dun think s602 to 5700 is needed... now what i want is just choose one of them

    btw, today went to sim lim, most of shops run out of stock for 5700... this wierd for me, so famous till all shops out of stock??? after that i was asking around in people's park centre, the lowest price for nikon 5700 is 1550, and 1250 for fuji S602. too bad today can't find a chance to touch nikon...

    oh ya, there is one shop in people's park centre said he sell nikon 5700 at 1300, i was very shock and ask whether can be cheaper, he said 1200.... then i asked to take a look he said it's not available in his shop yet and will get it from his store next week. however i think he is bluffing, imagine i asked for his namecard, "don't have", shop telephone number, "don't have".....

  13. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Cool

    Just a pt to note, I personally get my Nikon stuff from Lords Camera and he is located at #01-79, Lucky Plaza. Look for a guy name James Koh. And yes, u may say that I referred u to him and no, I do not get commission from him. His prices are low already so u think he can offer me commission?

    James is quite friendly and offer gd service. At least he is knowledgable unlike some pple who just want to sell cameras but dunno what's an optical or electronic viewfinder. For info, he stocks original Nikon accessories like battery packs etc...

    This is impt: Pse buy at a price that u r comfortable with. He usually gives u the best price in cash/nets and not via credit card (Becos for credit cards, retailers have to pay another 2-3% and trust me, they will pass on that buck to u!)

    A few reasons why his prices for Nikon is gd, :

    1) he is authorised dealer and he buys them in bulk
    2) he is located in a territory where the wolves will eat u unless u are damn savvy! ie. not exactly a shoppers paradise?
    3) his shop is small and not well situated at LP c/w others.

    The reason why I am asking u abt the 7HI is for u to consider the full range of equivalent cameras to the 5700. Besides the focusing cld be faster? Again, not sure as I do not use Minolta? However, that camera is likely to be bulkier like the 602.

    So once again, gd luck!

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by jeff chen
    The reason why I am asking u abt the 7HI is for u to consider the full range of equivalent cameras to the 5700. Besides the focusing cld be faster? Again, not sure as I do not use Minolta? However, that camera is likely to be bulkier like the 602.
    Another advantage I could think of is full support for Minolta flash's functionality including wireless mode! That would make it an awesome combo.... plus it uses AA batteries and has a manual zoom ring (which is well-liked by photographers)

    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  15. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza

    Another advantage I could think of is full support for Minolta flash's functionality including wireless mode! That would make it an awesome combo.... plus it uses AA batteries and has a manual zoom ring (which is well-liked by photographers)
    ar... i really see two devil face... if i am free i will go lucky plaza and take a look today.

    jeff, let's say i ask for the price, and if i want to pay by credit card and willing to bear the 2-3%, is it acceptable for him?

  16. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Cool

    ChenWei, if u chose to bear the cc surcharge, I am sure he is willing to sell u.

    I thot it wld be better to pay by cash as 2-3% of $1600 can be quite a lot u know. Anyway, James is a nice guy, go and work things out with him. Cheers!

  17. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Originally posted by jeff chen
    ...
    I thot it wld be better to pay by cash as 2-3% of $1600 can be quite a lot u know. Anyway, James is a nice guy, go and work things out with him. Cheers!
    sure, thanks a lot for the info! i am really appreciated, this is a friendly environment to learn and grow!

  18. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Cool



    ChenWei,

    Pse note that neither Mpenza or I am trying to knock u off balance by suggesting the Minolta 7I or HI. U see, u did mention that u wanna shoot moving objects and the minolta zooming cum focusing is faster c/w 5700.

    As both cams are 5 MP and with similar zoom capbilities, I wld honestly think the 7I wld meet yr needs better and not the fact that it is a superior camera. Pse understand I am not talking abt superior capability, just which camera better suits yr needs.

    At the end of the day, it is up to u to decide which camera u want for yrself. We can propose but u can dispose!

    As for the surcharge for credit card, it works out to be abt S$50 if u pay by credit for a S$1600 camera? So the retailer will charge u S$1650 for it lar...

    Just a personal view, I do not think that 602 ought to be c/w 5700, I think the Minolta 7I shld be c/w 5700...

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Originally posted by jeff chen

    ...
    As both cams are 5 MP and with similar zoom capbilities, I wld honestly think the 7I wld meet yr needs better and not the fact that it is a superior camera. Pse understand I am not talking abt superior capability, just which camera better suits yr needs.

    At the end of the day, it is up to u to decide which camera u want for yrself. We can propose but u can dispose!

    ...

    Just a personal view, I do not think that 602 ought to be c/w 5700, I think the Minolta 7I shld be c/w 5700...
    heheee... finally made my decision... i roughly calculated my budget, dun think i can afford 5700 including those accessories, so i bought 602 today. tripod, telephoto conversion lens, filter etc ends up around $1.7k, already killing my poor pocket....

    i think i am already got the best that suit me, it may not the best, but it allows me to make full use of it happily

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Welcome to the S602Z family.

    Starting shooting and posting!
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •