Thread: First Post!!

Default First Post!!

Well, here's my first post here
    Hope im doing it right though.

ISO:200 Shutter speed: 1/15 Aperture: f/4

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I want feedback on composition and post processing techniques

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I want to show the contrast and vibrancy of colors of the temple and people worshiping the temple

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Time: 6.09pm
    Weather: Cloudy

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I feel that this picture would've been better if i had not captured one of the old man scratching his backside (or at least i think he is?) . haha!!

But seriously, i think the picture needs more work on the post processing that's where i need more advice on. As for composition i think that this picture might be abit overwhelming for the eye as there are too much distraction from the subject (old man praying )
    Last edited by knoxknocks; 23rd October 2010 at 08:45 PM.

Default Re: First Post!!

I like the rich color of the temple.
    I find the picture very tight and I notice some shadow on the right side of the picture (guess is shadow of the building). Did you crop this picture?

You have to find the right timing and composure in order to frame the man praying without the distractions as you mentioned .

Otherwise, nice colours!

Btw, did you handheld your cam at 1/15?
    Dont follow the masses, buy what you need

i suppose the focus of this photo is the praying man, and the framing is to give it context?
    However I find that the man looks quite insignificant in the whole photo. Too many distracting elements, including the dude who's scratching his butt
    Exploring! :)

good attempt.

am distracted by the statues on left and right. if the subject is the man praying (not significant as zerocoolastra has pointed out), you may need to go closer to the man to take the shot (try half the distance between you and the subject).

otherwise, why dont you keep it simple and capture the temple and people praying as a whole?

I would say, given the situation, the 'preferred' shot (if there was such a thing) would be to photograph the devotee's face up close whilst he's deep in prayer.

But gotta take into account personal space and any reservations the subject might have.
    That type of photography requires a steely determination and maybe skin like rawhide
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

I believe it is not a good idea to cut off a person at the chest level when choosing a framing.

First I really like the colour, texture and the context of capturing the activity.

However, I find that 2 persons especially the one in the middle who is suppose to draw most focus is "chopped" by your framing most disconcerting.

imo, the dof is neither here nor there. The main focus should be the sharpest part of the photo. The 2 deities and the praying man forms a nice "story" in the photo and a strong focus of the whole photo leading from the deities leading to the main in the middle. For me I would prefer to have both the deities and the man in sharp focus.

the overall feel of the photo can be greatly improve by removing the distracting elements like the man on the left and the man looking through the door way slightly to the right. The framing could have move lower so that the man in the middle will be cropped off just above the waist.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I believe it is not a good idea to cut off a person at the chest level when choosing a framing.
    i second this. too high and it looks like he cant breathe!

Nice colours but like most have already mentioned, it seems awkward to crop the man in the foreground at chest level.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]