Thread: UWA options for Pentax

Default UWA options for Pentax

Hi there,

I'm looking for a UWA lens. What are some UWA lens that are good value-for-money?
    I only know of the Sigma 10-20. Any other UWA lenses compatible with the PK mount?

What I wanna use for this UWA is night photography. Long exposures. Aperture stepped down to probably f/11-22, depending on the location. What are your views?
    --

Default Re: UWA options for Pentax

There's the Pentax 12-24 too

There is 3 in my mind

1) Pentax DA 12-24mm
    2) Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6
    3) Sigma 8-16mm

All got their pro and con.

Of course there is also

4) Tamron 10-24mm
    5) Sigma 10-20mm f3.5

if u dun need that wide can consider

6) Pentax DA 14mm
    7) Pentax DA 15mm Ltd

till now I still haven't make up my mind which one to get too
    My Flickr ->Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Supersimon27 View Post
    There is 3 in my mind

1) Pentax DA 12-24mm
    2) Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6
    3) Sigma 8-16mm

All got their pro and con.

Of course there is also

4) Tamron 10-24mm
    5) Sigma 10-20mm f3.5

if u dun need that wide can consider

6) Pentax DA 14mm
    7) Pentax DA 15mm Ltd

till now I still haven't make up my mind which one to get too
    From this list, I'd choose either (not in order of preference):

1. Sigma 10-20/4.5-5.6 : Already very wide at 10mm. Having a range from 10mm to 20mm is more versatile. UWA usually need to be stopped down anyway, so f4.5-5.6 is no big deal, and saves money over the faster Sigma. The cheapest UWA option if you source overseas.

2. Pentax 12-24 : Better build quality, slightly better optical quality. Smaller than the Sigma. 24mm on the long end can double as a walkabout lens in good light.

3. DA15ltd : Small, light, well built, unique for a UWA. Ease of including it in the bag due to the small size and weight. Very good optically. Does seem to be sharper than my Sigma 10-20mm. 15mm is typically wide enough.

The DA14, isn't too big (about the size of the 12-24). A viable option, and has a the option to be used at f2.8. Saw one in the Camera Workshop just now for just under $700 (2nd hand).

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    From this list, I'd choose either (not in order of preference):

1. Sigma 10-20/4.5-5.6 : Already very wide at 10mm. Having a range from 10mm to 20mm is more versatile. UWA usually need to be stopped down anyway, so f4.5-5.6 is no big deal, and saves money over the faster Sigma. The cheapest UWA option if you source overseas.

2. Pentax 12-24 : Better build quality, slightly better optical quality. Smaller than the Sigma. 24mm on the long end can double as a walkabout lens in good light.

3. DA15ltd : Small, light, well built, unique for a UWA. Ease of including it in the bag due to the small size and weight. Very good optically. Does seem to be sharper than my Sigma 10-20mm. 15mm is typically wide enough.

The DA14, isn't too big (about the size of the 12-24). A viable option, and has a the option to be used at f2.8. Saw one in the Camera Workshop just now for just under $700 (2nd hand).
    mm, what's the price range for the above lenses uh?
    the DA primes look good eh.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by machiavellian View Post
    mm, what's the price range for the above lenses uh?
    the DA primes look good eh.
    i only noe the pentax 12-24 is about $11xx cause I have it..think sigma 10-20 is cheaper..

i will always push the sigma 10-20... nowadays i don't think you can get it grey, but it's a bargain at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i will always push the sigma 10-20... nowadays i don't think you can get it grey, but it's a bargain at that price.
    I am seriously consider either 10-20 vs 8-16 .

10-20 for the price (value for money) and can use filter

8-16 for the 8mm .... (always got this thinking in my mind , since wan to get, should just get the widest ) .... but then ... lack of filter really sianz leh
    My Flickr ->Flickr

yes, if you can't use any nd filter or gnd filter, that is a big minus for me.

maybe can ask friends to get from HK, i'm not sure about the price there, but when i got mine in 2006? 2007? it was $600-$700 grey, that was sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, if you can't use any nd filter or gnd filter, that is a big minus for me.

maybe can ask friends to get from HK, i'm not sure about the price there, but when i got mine in 2006? 2007? it was $600-$700 grey, that was sweet.
    holy! That's cheap! Maybe I'll try my luck at HK!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by machiavellian View Post
    holy! That's cheap! Maybe I'll try my luck at HK!
    as in, for an UWA. and as compared to prices now. Relativity.
    --