Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: External hard disk drives

  1. #1

    Default External hard disk drives

    hey peepz, what external hdd do you use? I'm thinking of getting a Buffalo LinkStation Duo, for future upgrades etc. Or should I settle for a WD 1TB?
    --

  2. #2

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    Quote Originally Posted by machiavellian View Post
    hey peepz, what external hdd do you use? I'm thinking of getting a Buffalo LinkStation Duo, for future upgrades etc. Or should I settle for a WD 1TB?
    wd sata 500gb in a nas box; maxstor basics 1 tb for backup;

  3. #3

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    why not get two 500gb instead of 1 1tb?
    try not to store all your eggs in one basket in case the 1 tb fails you you wun have to worry bout getting another HDD

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    Quote Originally Posted by machiavellian View Post
    hey peepz, what external hdd do you use? I'm thinking of getting a Buffalo LinkStation Duo, for future upgrades etc. Or should I settle for a WD 1TB?
    Are you asking about the brand / model of the drive or the case / connection technology? AFAIK, Buffalo is a case, which comes with different connection types.
    Regarding drives: read reviews, read long term tests. Make sure the HDD is properly cooled (especially when you are using 7200rpm types). Think about your workflow, redundancy (e.g. RAID1, 5, 6), backup ...
    After some recent casualties among my Seagate / Maxtor drives these brands are out for me.
    EOS

  5. #5

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    just crash into this thread, would like to as which external box provide raid for 2 hdd?

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesco View Post
    just crash into this thread, would like to as which external box provide raid for 2 hdd?
    Most (if not all) of these boxes provide RAID0 and RAID1.
    EOS

  7. #7

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    I'm new to this hdd business. Any resource for me to read up on?
    --

  8. #8

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    You'll have a hard time reformatting 1TB in future. I suggest getting 2 500GB drive like some peeps recommended you. Safer to backup all your photos in 2 drive than to one entire drive. Therefore, a WD 1TB with 2 500Gb in a box will be good. (eg. WD Studio Version, something like that).
    Last edited by antotsang; 23rd October 2010 at 06:43 PM.

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    Quote Originally Posted by machiavellian View Post
    I'm new to this hdd business. Any resource for me to read up on?
    What do you need to know? The technology of the disks? The specs of the heads? Specs of SATA interface? What is RAID? Difference between SAN and NAS...? Please be more specific, then we can give you some help.
    Apart from that, Wikipedia has countless pages about hard disks and the technologies.
    EOS

  10. #10

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    What do you need to know? The technology of the disks? The specs of the heads? Specs of SATA interface? What is RAID? Difference between SAN and NAS...? Please be more specific, then we can give you some help.
    Apart from that, Wikipedia has countless pages about hard disks and the technologies.
    i want to know is there diff with RPM, is solid state drive good? =X

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesco View Post
    just crash into this thread, would like to as which external box provide raid for 2 hdd?
    G-Tech.

  12. #12
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    Quote Originally Posted by SnipSnap91 View Post
    i want to know is there diff with RPM, is solid state drive good? =X
    RPM describes the revolutions per minutes (a.k.a. "rotations per minute"). Higher values will result in data can be read / written faster. Relevance for home users: Zero - and some heat. Meaning: you need also better cooling as compared to the disks with lower rpm. Get the "Green" versions or specifically 5400rpm versions. Enough.
    Solid state is good but in early stage - and quite expensive. Do some homework, all your answers can be found online. Have you heard about Wikipedia?
    EOS

  13. #13

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    I've done a bit of reading up online. I wanna get a external hdd with RAID function... I know of a WD MyLife or something that allows up to 2hdds to be slotted inside. But I'm really not sure if I need that now. Haha.

    I wanna get an external hdd that's able to handle Final Cut Pro, and photoshop as well. Which ones should I go for? Would a 7200 RPM be suffice? Any good models I should be looking at?
    --

  14. #14

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    RPM describes the revolutions per minutes (a.k.a. "rotations per minute"). Higher values will result in data can be read / written faster. Relevance for home users: Zero - and some heat. Meaning: you need also better cooling as compared to the disks with lower rpm. Get the "Green" versions or specifically 5400rpm versions. Enough.
    Solid state is good but in early stage - and quite expensive. Do some homework, all your answers can be found online. Have you heard about Wikipedia?
    haha chill man i actually know those =P just that wanna ask for the sake of asking =X haha normal usage you dun have to get a SSD.

  15. #15

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    Quote Originally Posted by SnipSnap91 View Post
    i want to know is there diff with RPM, is solid state drive good? =X
    SSD is rather expensive now. I would suggest you get the WD Black.

    You can check the price here

  16. #16

    Default Re: External hard disk drives

    Any Recommended Raid 1 HDD bay with 2 x 500GB?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •