Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 98

Thread: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

  1. #1

    Default Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Guys, can anyone advise me which one to get ? Canon 550D or Nikon 3100. From what i understand the price is almost the same now right. I am a newbie so most likely need to get one body with kit lens ? any recommendation?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Before buying the camera, do you have any close friends who have already into photography ?

    My view is, if your friends are using Nikon, then I suggest you to get a Nikon.
    Why? So, you guys could share lenses and flashes together.

    Well, I'm a Canon 550D user, and all I can say it's a good camera with spectacular features, with impressive performance with it's price.

    I'm not sure about the Nikon D3100, but judging from my contextual knowledge with it's specifications, it is also a camera with up to date features.
    Mind you, a HD Video function, a CMOS sensor.

    Lens wise, I strongly don't suggest you to buy the kit lens just because it is cheap.

    For a basic start,
    I would suggest a

    - Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5
    - Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC

    The problem I see with many people here is that they buy the kit lens, and after shooting and shooting, they will tend to upgrade for a faster lens like constant f/2.8

    I would suggest that you should read more and more before your purchase.

    An impulse purchase will always never be a perfect purchase.

    Re-purchase equipments will lead to a loss of money and time.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  3. #3

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    D3100 is a cheaper than 550D, using bargaincity prices as guide:

    949 vs 1299. both with kit lens.

    http://www.bargaincity.com.sg/nikon-...mm-p-1137.html

    http://www.bargaincity.com.sg/canon-...mm-p-1145.html

  4. #4

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    I see i see. right now i planning to spend around 1.2k for everything . Therefore if i buy other lens that will be over 1.2k already. Just now i went to TK foto ckeck the price, they said kit 1 is 1199 with standard items plus screen protector, filter and tripod. Then heppen to go china town and see see i ask one shop they sold 550d kit 1 at 1150 but with only standard items. which one should i buy ? and the price is around 1.2 k right ? Did anyone buy DSLR at chinatown before ? is it reliable? Can anyone advise me please. Thanks.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    TS you might find this link helpful. and funny as well.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGZwk9YgeKg

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by atomtomion View Post
    I see i see. right now i planning to spend around 1.2k for everything . Therefore if i buy other lens that will be over 1.2k already. Just now i went to TK foto ckeck the price, they said kit 1 is 1199 with standard items plus screen protector, filter and tripod. Then heppen to go china town and see see i ask one shop they sold 550d kit 1 at 1150 but with only standard items. which one should i buy ? and the price is around 1.2 k right ? Did anyone buy DSLR at chinatown before ? is it reliable? Can anyone advise me please. Thanks.
    Why don't you just buy it at TK? or at SLRR?

    For pricing info:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124
    Last edited by daredevil123; 23rd October 2010 at 07:48 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    Before buying the camera, do you have any close friends who have already into photography ?

    My view is, if your friends are using Nikon, then I suggest you to get a Nikon.
    Why? So, you guys could share lenses and flashes together.

    Well, I'm a Canon 550D user, and all I can say it's a good camera with spectacular features, with impressive performance with it's price.

    I'm not sure about the Nikon D3100, but judging from my contextual knowledge with it's specifications, it is also a camera with up to date features.
    Mind you, a HD Video function, a CMOS sensor.

    Lens wise, I strongly don't suggest you to buy the kit lens just because it is cheap.

    For a basic start,
    I would suggest a

    - Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5
    - Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC

    The problem I see with many people here is that they buy the kit lens, and after shooting and shooting, they will tend to upgrade for a faster lens like constant f/2.8

    I would suggest that you should read more and more before your purchase.

    An impulse purchase will always never be a perfect purchase.

    Re-purchase equipments will lead to a loss of money and time.

    Hi, why choose Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC over VC?


    Best regards.

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by SamTac View Post
    Hi, why choose Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC over VC?


    Best regards.
    Because quite a number of reputable review sites found the non-VC version to be sharper and slightly better IQ.

    From http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
    Overall, the Tamron 17-50mm non-VC lens is sharper, has less vignetting, has a similar amount of CA and has less barrel distortion on the wide end but more pincushion distortion on the long end. The non-VC 17-50 is a bit smaller and lighter. Obviously the 17-50 VC has the 4-stop-rated (I didn't test this yet) stabilization advantage.
    From http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/48...750_28vc_canon
    The Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] VC is a very promising lens based on its sheer specifications. However, it falls somewhat short of the high expectations especially when considering the excellent performance of its non-VC variant. The biggest weakness of the lens is the rather soft corner/border performance at large aperture settings.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 24th October 2010 at 04:05 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by SamTac View Post
    Hi, why choose Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC over VC?


    Best regards.
    i'm a Non-VC user, the Sharpness and IQ is impressive !!
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  10. #10

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Icic thanks guys for all ur kind suggestion I think my starting fund only got 1.2 k I guess is not enough for me to get one more Lens. Can the kit Lens take good photo too right ? I hope so...

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by atomtomion View Post
    Icic thanks guys for all ur kind suggestion I think my starting fund only got 1.2 k I guess is not enough for me to get one more Lens. Can the kit Lens take good photo too right ? I hope so...
    Yes, kit lens can also take good photo.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by atomtomion View Post
    Guys, can anyone advise me which one to get ? Canon 550D or Nikon 3100. From what i understand the price is almost the same now right. I am a newbie so most likely need to get one body with kit lens ? any recommendation?
    suggest you get the k-r. $910 with kit lens.

    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB still can get 35mm f/2.4 prime lens with your 1k budget. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB $288 only. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by SamTac View Post
    Hi, why choose Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC over VC?


    Best regards.
    don't really need VC that much for shorter focal lengths also.

    of course, if you have in-body shake reduction, it comes with every lens, VC or no VC.. then in that case, since it's there, might as well get it.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    suggest you get the k-r. $910 with kit lens.

    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB still can get 35mm f/2.4 prime lens with your 1k budget. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB $288 only. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!
    the 35mm f/2.4 is impressive................. how i wish canon has that....
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  15. #15

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    suggest you get the k-r. $910 with kit lens.

    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB still can get 35mm f/2.4 prime lens with your 1k budget. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB $288 only. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!
    Lol what is k-r ??

  16. #16

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    k-r is from pentax.
    Alpha

  17. #17

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by atomtomion View Post
    Lol what is k-r ??
    sad.... sad....

  18. #18

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
    k-r is from pentax.
    "you mean, there is such a brand?! there are more than 2 brands in the market?!"

  19. #19

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    Canon

    Nikon

    Pentax

    Sony

    Panasonic

    Olympus

    Contax

    Leica

    Voiglander

    Cosina

    Fujifilm
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  20. #20

    Default Re: Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

    wow, i see i see lol ... i really never heard that brand before lol... i guess i still prefer Canon ba... hahaz.... Is there any shop can pay using credit card installment without interest ? So far i ask most of the shops need to charge 3% for the installment

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •