Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any1 had any experience at magnificent snap?

o...the functions of these stuffs is 2 prevent any fungus growth on ur cam esp the lens...remember 2 take d batts n memory cards out if u r nt usin it 4 quite sme time...

Btw saw ur post on d screen protector...actualy u can gt it at carrefour oso..cmes in various size like 1.8-2.5"...less than $10...gt 1 4 my ixus i...works prefectly...

actually i oso 4get where the thread already. kinda blur.. so goin to use the search functions. ya.. wanna get a screen protector, dry box etc... goin to learn more like how to tk care of my camera... probably goin to start a new thread soon.. i hope to get more electronic equipment in future so i can get the electrical dry cabinet . nw still very poor... mus try to save already
    anyway thanx for all your reply.. and u been a great help

ha...no prob at all.... i oso broke like hell bt still gonna gt a new accessorie 4 my fav cam later in d pm...sigh...goin mad since i gt stung by this SLR virus.. njoy ur cam!!

(Dun wori abt ur textin...sure ther wil b alot mor others who can understd.. )

wat cam are you havin nw? SLR are veri ex... hmm.. dun tin i will get a SLR nw..kinda hard to handle. mayb in future.

i'll try to type more gd english in tis forum onli seems its kinda impt to sm ppl.
    anyway i'm glad u are at my frequencies I shld hv put tis icon instead of when i post tat 1 brought my cam.. jus discover only

Hee...im usin F80...nah...nw SLR quite cheap..n FUN 2...
    a 2nd hand gd condition cam like mine nw cost ard $500+ only...i bought mine @ $800++...sigh.. dan started 2buy lens...speedlite...battery pack...nvr endin story... BUT i love it!! nvr regreted..

Ha...ya...dat icon is gd...

After a recent experience with the abovementioned store, I decided to do a search to see what I got was in line with the people here, so here's reviving an old thread:

Friend was looking for a camera, so I bring him to (my) usual haunt - Cathay Photo. Price quoted by the salesguy was $50 more than what Magnificent Snap quoted (we'd been there earlier on). I comment that sometimes paying a little bit more for a reputable shop of known quality of service was a small price to pay, but since it wasn't my money I was spending, I just tag along to make sure about the camera......

So we troop back to Magnificent Snap, my friend asks for a quote again, and pricing agreed, we ask to see the camera, since he's already decided that he'd get that model and nothing else. There wasn't even a display model in the shop, ok, fair enough, perhaps the price is so good they've totally ran out. The salesman here asks us to pay first, and I ask to see the camera first, before paying. My friend, after the salesguy assures that it would be a NEW set, decides to pre-pay (yes, very big mistake) and he tells us to wait 10 minutes while he closes shop to go get his stock.

10 minutes becomes more than half an hour, and I was fairly irate to be kept waiting so long.

So anyway we proceeded to inspect DSLR, upon which I discover a piece of dirt in the viewfinder. I point this out to salesman, and at first he doesn't spot it. I specify where it is, and he pulls out his lenspen and moves to clean it. Its not even the black version for cleaning lens; its the grey one(Digi-Klear) used for cleaning LCD! I say, "Wait, could you use a blower for that? Its inside the viewfinder!".

He retorted that it was a special lenspen and proceeds to brush the mirror with the Digi-klear.......after which the speck of dirt was replaced by strands of fiber from the Digi-Klear brush.

*****EDIT*****
    Note that for this particular brand of DSLR the manufacturer specifies that nothing be placed beyond the lensmount, and even then, only a blower should be used and nothing else.
    ****END EDIT****

At this point, I told him we were not accepting this camera, and asked for another one to view. He says that this is the only one he has, so we ask for a refund, to which he agrees. I tell my friend I'll step outside and go on down to Cathay Photo Marina Square (just down the row of shops).

Before long, he calls and says he can't get a refund, so I go back to Magnificent Snap, by this time pretty worked up. Salesguy say he can't give us a refund since it was a NETS purchase and there isn't so much money in the register. But, now, he says he can get another camera of the same model for us, and that ticked me off, because he said he didn't have any just 10 minutes ago! And being a shopkeeper, wouldn't he very well know if a transaction can be refunded or not (instead of only discovering it later)?

He says he is not just any shop, claims to be a branch of AP over at Sim Lim (or at least that's where he claims, maybe he just gets his stock from there). Anyway for the record I am not dragging AP into this. I back down from insisting on a refund (since there seemed little recourse to get our money back without a long drawn-out process involving third parties such as CASE or the police) and agree for him to bring in another camera. I suggested he bring in three should the same dirty viewfinder or other defect surface, and he accuses us of coming here to "make trouble", sent by other shops, to which my friend retorted that if we were here to make trouble, we wouldn't even have paid the sum of money!

He offers to drive us to Sim Lim to get the camera, to which I decline - I felt it wasn't safe to go with him anywhere given the dispute we were having, but he also agreed to bring his boss down to give us a refund if the next camera he brought wasn't satisfactory.

Thankfully the issue was resolved when the next camera he brought was up to scratch in all respects. His behavior was markedly different from the previous encounter, somehow, even apologizing for making us wait.

All for a $50 price difference on a DSLR, it wasn't worth for the 2 hour delay and consternation we went through, was it?

Lesson learned, then.
    Last edited by r32; 23rd June 2004 at 08:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12