Thread: When do you use coloured diffuser?

Default When do you use coloured diffuser?

I have flash diffuser that comes in 3 different colours: white, red and blue.

I have only used the white one. The other two gave red and blue colour hues to the pictures. In what occasions or situations are those coloured diffuser good for?

Default Re: When do you use coloured diffuser?

When you want to be creative ... that's all I can say.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Quote Originally Posted by chooz View Post
    I have flash diffuser that comes in 3 different colours: white, red and blue.

I have only used the white one. The other two gave red and blue colour hues to the pictures. In what occasions or situations are those coloured diffuser good for?
    You mean those omni-bounce diffusers?
    I know people do use the blue coloured ones for indoor lights. But I prefer to use the white one.

But I seen before, some people use the orange omni-bounce diffuser in indoors.
    *Good luck to that guy..*

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    But I seen before, some people use the orange omni-bounce diffuser in indoors.
    *Good luck to that guy..*
    That'd be me. Just curious, why is it so crazy to use orange or amber gel/filters/diffusers indoors? You are just trying to balance with ambient.
    And it is a problem if you are bouncing and the ambient light is quite strong, for eg a very big chandelier with lots of bulbs, or lots of 2700K fluorescent. Its bright, but not bright enough and need a little bit of help from the flash.
    It is not uncommon at all for wedding photography. The reason you don't see it sometimes is coz, well I am lazy to run back to the bag to grab.

But for places like Hilton reception area, Orchid Country club reception, you'd need it preferably. Not that cannot do, but i don't wanna blow my flash again and again (already blew a lot of them, tube wears out). You'd be thankful for the gel if you are shooting a few hundred thousand frames in your work.
    Last edited by 2100; 25th October 2010 at 09:29 PM.

I use yellow/orange one for portrait shoot, give me warmer skin tone.
    flickr
    ... I'm not a photographer yet.....