Thread: Is lightroom for me?

Default Is lightroom for me?

Calling out to all lightroom users, would appreciate a little bit of your advice.

I'm considering using lightroom 3 to manage my photography, but as I have no prior experience with it, I'm not sure if it suits my needs.

For many years i've been using the photoshop+ACR+windows explorer combi as my workflow. Gradually, i've been finding that this workflow just takes too much time, effort and isn't quite as elegant as i want it to.

I want a simple way to import, organise and batch edit my photos. I want to spend as little time managing the photos as possible so that I could focus more on the editing. Does lightroom allow for all photos in a library to be sorted, by say rating, or date, or keyword? And does the editing features allow me to make local adjustments to the image? (Such as selective sharpening, curves adjustments etc) Is there a backup feature in lightroom as well? How about facebook integration?

Any thoughts much appreciated. thanks in advance!
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

Default Re: Is lightroom for me?

The photo management system of LR3 is very comprehensive.
    yes, you can sort by those that you mentioned.
    You can make local adjustment
    Not sure about selective sharpening though, as I do not do sharpening at LR, but you can adjust curves

You can backup the catalog (database of your management *note, it's only backing up the data, not your images)

why not download the trial and try it out?
    Last edited by wdEvA; 22nd October 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Lightroom can help ya to manage your photos in amazing speed with light editing... It has five modules... library, develop, slideshow, print and web... (last 3 module I never use before... :-D)

For the library module, it works like Bridge... can label... batch rename... rating... date.. etc.

For develop... u can do simple editing like cropping, tilting, white balance, gradual filter, etc. U can copy your setting from one photo to another photo... So if u want the whole library of photos to be black and white, just click click a few buttons and all is black and white liaoz! BTW, it is not easy using clone or healing tools in lightroom... I would prefer to use photoshop instead...

After u edited your photos, u have to export it as lightroom don't really edit the photo file itself... It only remember the settings that u wanted on the photo. U can choose to overwrite it... or renamed them all like photo-1.jpg to photo-20.jpg. U can set your maximum length pixel size so u can upload to clubsnap (wahaha!), add borders, watermarks etc etc. It does have plugin for flickr, photobucket etc but for some reasons I cannot get it to work...

In short, lightroom can speed up your work flow by a lot but then u will still need to use your photoshop for more complicated editing. Can check out my photobucket link to have an idea what is it like... For me it takes about 10 minutes to finish cropping and tilting the photos, rename all in ascending order, add borders and watermarks and then finally upload to photobucket.

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...SEARCH%202010/

I use LR2.7 and CS5. LR has a more "streamline" work flow for me. It would do all the things you mentioned except for local sharpening. There is a sharpening tool in LR but it is not selective. There is, however, an Adjustment Brush for local finishing work.

I find LR3 very useful in doing management, batch processing and basic global adjustments. However, local adjustments are a real pain (and very "bare"). For those cases, prefer to just export to CS5 and edit from there.

Every photographer can use Lightroom 3.
    Workflow is easy. Download from memory card, select photos by addition to collection, then do minor editing on cropping, saturation, and noise reduction. LR 3 has a pretty useful noise reduction function. I have not been using my Neat Image (noise redcution software) since I gotten my LR 3.
    Visit my portfolio at http://woeilee.zenfolio.com

best way to evaluate is to download a trial version from adobe and use it to gauge whether it's best for you.

thanks guys for the input.

okay shall download the trial!
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

A happy LR3 user here.
    Facebook integration can be provided by Jeffrey Friedl's plugins.
    I think LR can do a lot of things, but it lacks of documentation.
    Probably need some experimentation to get the most out of it.

Use the tial and see if it suites you. That's the best advice I can give.

I have Lightroom 2, but never grew any fondness for it. It is rather good for simple but essential edits (curves, sharpen, levels), but I've always found it a pain to tweak and navigate. It does have good tagging as well. Overall, a very good program for your needs if you can familiarize and learn the interface.

I stuck out with Picasa for its simple interface and simple tools that are good enough for a low standard hobbist like me ,but its lacking in the curve, noise reduction and good sharpen functions. Pairing it with Paint.net for advanced editing, it is quite a smooth workflow. Simply right click on the photo in Picasa and select "open with"
    Best thing is that both applications are free and easy to use. The worst thing is the lack of plug-ins from 3rd parties.

Like others mentioned, download and try for yourself. That is the best way to see if you like it.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 27th October 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Yes & the best Is Lightroom 3, Faster workflow + Versatility.

Lightroom is a complete integrated system for photographers. I would recommend it for anyone who looking for all-in-one streamlined photo management and post production. However, don't rely 100% on it and have a back up system as well if anything goes wrong (Yes things can go wrong!). Give it a try for one of your projects and see how it can help you in your work.

To summarise:

Pros
    1. All in one. No need to open other softwares to do your basic or even advanced needs.
    2. Easy and quick to understand UI.
    3. Ready plug-ins available on the internet.
    4. Running batch work is a breeze.

Cons
    1. As the database grows larger, everything will just slow down.
    2. Quite a resource hog. You will probably need a fast and large HDD to run it smoothly.

Hope that helps. Cheers!