Thread: Hazy daze

Default Hazy daze

While everyone cry mother cry father about the haze, a friend remarked to me that actually it presents a unique lighting condition for some nice shoots. Any suggestions on composition, lens to use, venue etc?

Default Re: Hazy daze

as far as i shoot, all my pics of buildings are soft..

Great diffused lighting, even in the middle of the day.

I find your remark to be extremely lacking in intelligence and irresponsible in content.
    Because of the haze people's health are badly affected, not to mention the damage done to our already frail environment.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900

Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    I find your remark to be extremely lacking in intelligence and irresponsible in content.
    Because of the haze people's health are badly affected, not to mention the damage done to our already frail environment.
    While it affects ppl, why is his comments irresponsible?

It's about making lemonade out of lemons which life gives you. Just make do with it and see how you can use the opportunity to get something out of it and not just make noise about it and hide in one corner.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

To me the haze signifies a few things.

1) Destruction of the fragile rainforest and ecosystem in Indonesia which will lead to the deaths of countless animals and wildlife in that region.

2) Another classic demonstration of greedy corporations 'capitalising' over an inept government who just stood by and let this man-made disaster happen......again.

3) Fundamentally created by the ever increasing need to harness earth's limited resources at the expense of our earth and children's future.

4) This is the legacy we will be leaving our next generation, and the haze is a stark reminder of that!

So I won't make any apologies for someone to comment that the haze actually poses a good photo opportunity

Now a model wannabe has another excuse to aeroplane a photographer: HAZE!

So I won't make any apologies for someone to comment that the haze actually poses a good photo opportunity
    so you think all war photographers should be ashamed of themselves?

and that the capture of the human condition in say, iraq, or africa is a despicable thing?

there is a difference between statement of facts, i.e. that the haze gives good photo opportunities.. versus a presented opinion that includes the desire for it to happen at the expense of others for self gain, i.e. i wish the haze would come again, or get thicker, so that i can get cool photos. please do not be extremist and take very different things as the same.

and i have to agree, the haze gives good photo opportunities, by diffusing the light at night.

do i wish that it happens? no. but it's here, so i make the best of it, instead of whining that it is damn sian, i can't see anything, blah blah blah.... my lungs are suffering, etc....

this photo would be very different without the haze. that is also a fact.
    Last edited by night86mare; 23rd October 2010 at 02:08 PM.

Could it be a reminder. This year you forgot to pay me.

1) Destruction of the fragile rainforest and ecosystem in Indonesia which will lead to the deaths of countless animals and wildlife in that region.

2) Another classic demonstration of greedy corporations 'capitalising' over an inept government who just stood by and let this man-made disaster happen......again.

3) Fundamentally created by the ever increasing need to harness earth's limited resources at the expense of our earth and children's future.

4) This is the legacy we will be leaving our next generation, and the haze is a stark reminder of that!

= noob

Another way to look at it, think back to 1997 when Princess Diana died in the infamous car crash.
    It is debatable whether the accident was caused by the relentless pursuit of paparazzi, but what made headlines then was the paparazzis present did nothing to help the car accident victims. Instead they whip out their cameras and started snapping the carnage of the victims after the accident and sold it to the tabloids the next day.

There is a very fine line between capturing the emotions of suffering and exploiting the situation at others expense. But I personally feel that when someone says 'Why cry mother cry father about the haze', they are only thinking inwards without realization to the whole situation.

If a photographer thinks its good to take pictures during the haze, by all means. If a photographer decides to travel to Indonesia to take pictures of the EFFECTS of the haze and it's IMPACT to the people around it, I will not only support you but give you my utmost respect. But by making sweeping statements that undermine the severity of the situation or even making fun of it, to me, it does cross some ethical boundaries.
    Last edited by de_stan; 23rd October 2010 at 02:36 PM.

If a photographer thinks its good to take pictures during the haze, by all means. If a photographer decides to travel to Indonesia to take pictures of the EFFECTS of the haze and it's IMPACT to the people around it, I will not only support you but give you my utmost respect. But by making sweeping statements that undermine the severity of the situation or even making fun of it, to me, it does cross some ethical boundaries.
    you need to relax.

Go hug a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    Go hug a tree.
    No use... being so uptight as he is, he'll probably strangle the tree instead.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I forgot, school holidays are here......kids!

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    No use... being so uptight as he is, he'll probably strangle the tree instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    Go hug a tree.
    that was uncalled for....

you find your own tree.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Any suggestions on composition, lens to use, venue etc?
    1. Composition: Whatever composition is needed for your shot.
    2. Lens to use: Whichever is attached to your camera, or the correct lens for the composition. There is no "Hazy day lens"
    3. Venue: Anywhere that will suit your requirements for composition, though if you want to include haze it should be outdoors.
    Alpha