Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: 400D still worth it?

  1. #1

    Default 400D still worth it?

    Hi all CSers,

    I'm a newbie in the DSLR world looking for budget options. Don't mind 2nd hand.

    Is the 400D still a worthy contender in the current age and technology?

  2. #2
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    imho technology wise.. 500D better

  3. #3

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    if u have a limited budget and it is a good buy, why not?

    i frequently recommend that to people who wants to pick up the hobby but is wary of the commitment.

  4. #4

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    I don't wish to spend more than $500 to start off this hobby, and I see that this is only of the only options available.

    500D is much better definitely, but the price is also way higher compared to the 400D.

  5. #5

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Can i recommend 450D instead? Saw someone in B&S section selling for $400.
    Personal opinion: Digic III is much better than Digic II when it comes to focusing and noise control. Experienced it myself.
    Visit my portfolio at http://woeilee.zenfolio.com

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Yeah, why not?

    I'm using a 2 years old 40D as main, and the 4 years old 400D backup and "shoot at home" camera.

    Nevermind the old tech, it still shoots pretty pictures and great as a starter model. So easy to use, so painless, so lightweight, so portable. Stick it with a low cost EF50mm f1.8 and you'll get wonderful pictures straightaway.

    Of course, some minimal post-processing may do wonders to bring out higher dynamic range. Here's a photo taken last night at ISO800 on my 400D with EF50mmf1.4 lens, ambient light.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiny_tots/5101993671/

    Cheers.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

  7. #7
    Member willdoang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    east, near dakota MRT
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    i don't see why not, i got friends who still use even his 350D to shoot models, and the picture is fantastic, it's not the tools that count, it's much more on the person behind the cam+lens and the object itself
    Last edited by willdoang; 22nd October 2010 at 01:17 PM.
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Hi...

    Read this blog entry....it may inspire you....

    http://blog.zhangjingna.com/2010/10/...omes-from.html
    A camera a day keeps me happy!
    Flickr me!

  9. #9

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Honestly, I dun mind. It might be painless if you give up hobby.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Thanks for the prompt replies. Just got my 1st DSLR! Shall go on a shooting spree someday

  11. #11

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    a XXXD Body with a EF 50mm f/1.8 II is a good start of newbies !
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  12. #12

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Wah. Don't poison me anymore leh. Shall just stick with the kit lens for now.

  13. #13

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoS77 View Post
    Wah. Don't poison me anymore leh. Shall just stick with the kit lens for now.
    Well, I just it's nice for newbies to have a EF 50mm f/1.8 II, secondhand preowned, you can get it for around $100 ?
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  14. #14

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoS77 View Post
    Wah. Don't poison me anymore leh. Shall just stick with the kit lens for now.
    Haha as long as you stick around here, you will be poisoned whether u like it or not but seriously, you shld get a dry cabinet soon.

  15. #15

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha as long as you stick around here, you will be poisoned whether u like it or not but seriously, you shld get a dry cabinet soon.
    Thinking of that as well. Shall go look around. Any offers or anything at the moment?

    Will think of a prime lens for upgrade after I learn to use the camera.

    BTW, tried taking some picture. Why were some pictures overexposed even though the white balance show otherwise?

  16. #16

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoS77 View Post
    Thinking of that as well. Shall go look around. Any offers or anything at the moment?

    Will think of a prime lens for upgrade after I learn to use the camera.

    BTW, tried taking some picture. Why were some pictures overexposed even though the white balance show otherwise?
    huh? Some overexposed even when the meter is correct is it? It depends on where and when you shoot. The meter will be very accurate if you're shooting outdoor in the day. At night & indoors, your meter will not work properly. So you got to learn how to read histogram to check your photos. If you want to learn more, try sourcing for Tips / Lessons etc. on Google or Youtube. It helps alot.

  17. #17

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by antotsang View Post
    huh? Some overexposed even when the meter is correct is it? It depends on where and when you shoot. The meter will be very accurate if you're shooting outdoor in the day. At night & indoors, your meter will not work properly. So you got to learn how to read histogram to check your photos. If you want to learn more, try sourcing for Tips / Lessons etc. on Google or Youtube. It helps alot.
    Woah. Guess I have ALOT ALOT more to learn. Shall try to find time to go out and shoot shoot shoot soon.

    Guess I also need to understand the camera a lot more and try to maximise both its and my (limited) potential.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by SumoBear View Post
    Hi...

    Read this blog entry....it may inspire you....

    http://blog.zhangjingna.com/2010/10/...omes-from.html
    Thanks for sharing. Love the post.

  19. #19

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by antotsang View Post
    huh? Some overexposed even when the meter is correct is it? It depends on where and when you shoot. The meter will be very accurate if you're shooting outdoor in the day. At night & indoors, your meter will not work properly. So you got to learn how to read histogram to check your photos. If you want to learn more, try sourcing for Tips / Lessons etc. on Google or Youtube. It helps alot.
    Histograms are rough guide, using your feelings also helps, if you feel its too bright or too dark, it usually mean its over or under exposed, so just correct it accordingly. Agree that youtube is a nice place, libraries too.

  20. #20

    Default Re: 400D still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoS77 View Post
    Hi all CSers,

    I'm a newbie in the DSLR world looking for budget options. Don't mind 2nd hand.

    Is the 400D still a worthy contender in the current age and technology?
    Why not? What do you need to contend with to make it worthy? Limitations on budget aside, its about what you percieve and not what is the current perception.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •