Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rich status symbols

Default Re: Rich status symbols

Quote Originally Posted by Edisonn View Post
    I think he is a evil person.

An article i read shows that the area he is in is poverty stricken, devoid of proper sanitation and living in hunger.

The construction of his building is nothing more than to highlight the richpoor gap in india, which is apparently very huge
    I think othewise.

such a huge facility would need hell lot of people to maintain and/or operate.

the poor around the area can actually benefit from it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    I think othewise.

such a huge facility would need hell lot of people to maintain and/or operate.

the poor around the area can actually benefit from it.
    similiar thoughts.

if he doesnt spend it, means money will never make it back to the poor

maybe age has caught me, or me getting closer to my creator, but as days pass by, I always wonder how much bigger i need for a bed, how many more cc i need for a car, how much more comfort can i get for a toilet seat, how much more ingredients can i ask for food, how much more space for the final restplace

so i found the answer - live simply and be humble, and treat all livings with respect because whether you are the richest man on earth, you are not a bit better than anyone here.

what the really poor need is just a simple bed, some food, clean water, etc.
    if you rich enough, no need for that plaza and those slaves, just live in a nice house and spread the rest and DO NOT WASTE earth scarce resources.
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    ... live simply and be humble, and treat all livings with respect because whether you are the richest man on earth, you are not a bit better than anyone here.
    Wow... I think this quote will stick with me for a very long time.

I too think there is something more than meets the eye.

"Mr Ambani has surprised many by constructing Antilia - named after a mythical island - as he built his business reputation as a private individual who avoided the flamboyance of India's ultra-rich."

He seems to have broken out of his humble shell...

love this "live simply and be humble, and treat all livings with respect"

I was right outside this building 3 weeks ago, it's MASSIVE. And the area surrounding it.. well, the property prices in the area are along the lines of Manhattan and Tokyo, just so you know. Alot of wealthy people live/own land in the surroundings.. Mumbai is divided into two parts : 1) The unbelievably wealthy.
    2) The unbelievably poor.

As people said, he's creating jobs. His corporation has created thousands of jobs in India, and they are one of the biggest employers and companies in the world.

In 5 years, the GDP of his company will be equal to the GDP of Singapore (no jokes)..

So he is making an impact, and I don't think any one of us can question him because nobody can stop this man (Not even the Indian govt)
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

maybe age has caught me, or me getting closer to my creator, but as days pass by, I always wonder how much bigger i need for a bed, how many more cc i need for a car, how much more comfort can i get for a toilet seat, how much more ingredients can i ask for food, how much more space for the final restplace

so i found the answer - live simply and be humble, and treat all livings with respect because whether you are the richest man on earth, you are not a bit better than anyone here.

what the really poor need is just a simple bed, some food, clean water, etc.
    if you rich enough, no need for that plaza and those slaves, just live in a nice house and spread the rest and DO NOT WASTE earth scarce resources.

but then again, there is nothing wrong in asking for something better if you can afford it right?

otherwise we would all live in straw huts and collect rainwater for use, while growing our own little plots of paddy. if you think about it, no one really needs a computer either.

so both extremities are problematic - what you need is a middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post

In 5 years, the GDP of his company will be equal to the GDP of Singapore (no jokes)..
    this is a prediction , not a fact - just to make sure this is clear - the future is unknown.

to be painfully anal though, you can't really have gdp for companies... so you should say that perhaps the REVENUE or PROFIT of his company will be equal to the GDP of singapore.
    Last edited by night86mare; 22nd October 2010 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

but then again, there is nothing wrong in asking for something better if you can afford it right?

otherwise we would all live in straw huts and collect rainwater for use, while growing our own little plots of paddy. if you think about it, no one really needs a computer either.

so both extremities are problematic - what you need is a middle ground.
    there is really nothing wrong to ask for something better, but there must be a limit in anything we want vs we need, but most important one shouldn't waste earth resources.

does one need to have a 50m pool in one's mansion?
    does one need a 200foot yacht to just visit some nearby islands on weekends?

there is really no other reason to own these except to show off but think of how much waste for such ownerships.
    always the Light, .... always.

My Idea of a Rich Status Symbol? Charity foundations set up by Bill Gates and the likes... Nothing else beats that! All other symbols play a second fiddle to that!
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

There are a lot of rich people beyond Singapore's shore. Nothing is surprising.

Dunno why I feel that the building design looks like calling for disaster. Looks flimsy.
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

Quote Originally Posted by eilsel85 View Post
    love this "live simply and be humble, and treat all livings with respect"
    I kena scolded by a female colleague in my office before for saying this sentence. She said I got no ambition by living in this way, cannot climb up corporate ladders in this way....

She despise me for saying this sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by JinnyLim View Post
    I kena scolded by a female colleague in my office before for saying this sentence. She said I got no ambition by living in this way, cannot climb up corporate ladders in this way....

She despise me for saying this sentence.
    Greed is the root of all evil.

Some people backstab, "carry ball", bootlick, sabotage, defame colleagues just to get into the boss's good books and hope would get promoted.

there is really nothing wrong to ask for something better, but there must be a limit in anything we want vs we need, but most important one shouldn't waste earth resources.

does one need to have a 50m pool in one's mansion?
    does one need a 200foot yacht to just visit some nearby islands on weekends?

there is really no other reason to own these except to show off but think of how much waste for such ownerships.
    that i agree... i guess. i won't disagree. but this is something we can all feel, but at the end of the day, people have the choice to do whatever they want with their money, and you can't do anything about it.

big Fing deal. It's just a house with many rooms right?

Quote Originally Posted by lancey View Post
    big Fing deal. It's just a house with many rooms right?
    First time such a large personal house being built, a personal skyscraper. I think this will spawn future billionaires to build supertall private houses too.

In the 18th to 19th century it was the era of the country houses and private palaces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltmore_Estate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blenheim_Palace

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearst_Castle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentmore_Towers

The above are private houses, built by rich people, not royalty.

Now is the start of the era of the highrise palaces.

Greed... the best way of showing wealth is to donate it all away. When u die, u can't take the money to the other side. Bill Gates said he didn't want to create a wealthy empire, so he's planned to donate all his money away, so did Buffett.

Why is there a need to employ 600 people to serve 6 people ... so sad for him!
    could be his twisted way to create job opportunity.
    the construction also created jobs.
    Last edited by ConnorMcLeod; 23rd October 2010 at 02:01 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast