Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 84

Thread: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Sadly most people use popularity. Personal connections to achieve things.
    You don't need to be popular. Just need a huge backing. Even my CEO's driver speak louder than the managers in my company. 打狗要看主人。So everyone agrees with what the 弼马温 says for now. We are all waiting for the 树倒老gao散, then we can see the 齐天大圣 transform into a monkey.

  2. #62

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Anyway, back to the first half of this question, does it really matter to win all arguements?
    it's a natural instinct, it's Darwinism, the strongest survival theory.

    Usually only the strongest will WIN ALL arguments, through:
    1. authority and Power - USA, North Korea, etc
    2. laws and orders - Singapore (i can only think of 1 place on earth)
    3. talents - top of the fields, Warren Buffett, etc
    4. actions - Mother Theresa, Gandhi, Mandela, etc
    5. beliefs - religions

    However, it is also nature's will that no one will WIN ALL arguments forever because no can win an argument by himself, only through the acceptance of those listening to the arguments.
    always the Light, .... always.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    By become King Mod. the mod of mods. muahahahha
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Anyway, back to the first half of this question, does it really matter to win all arguements?
    The mod always wins. So it does not matters for everyone else.

    On the other hand, 打是情,骂是爱。I have seen many love blossom from arch rivals. Somehow the emotions stirred during arguments is too hot and passionate that it develops into affection. Even competing companies merge or form joint ventures. So what divides us today might bring us together in future. Never say never. Let a quarrel takes its course. Never kill off something too early. Mitigate only when it is coming to a fight.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 22nd October 2010 at 11:51 AM.

  4. #64
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    1. I didn't say cats make more noise than dogs. (just clarifying)

    2. I mentioned cats have the ability to steal food, in situations that is unlikely for dogs (dogs part is implied).
    I put up video links to display the agility of cats, and what the cats capable of.

    If you say it is not "beyond reasonable doubt" that cats are more agile than dogs, and that cats are capable of what dogs are not capable of, despite the evidences, it's fine. I have no issue with that.

    3. I suggest that cats are more nuisance than dogs in initial post. Later, I put up the link showing the stats of cats complaint in SG context. A google search shows no similar stats results for dogs. I infer from there that Cats is of more problem than dogs in HDB estates.

    If you say that it is not a "strong" supporting point. that is fine. No issue with that. These article for for pple to see and judge themselves. You can raise your opinions, comments, and I may or may not counter or further extend my arguments.

    The important thing is, it is never about winning the argument. It is just presentation of opinion and fact to support one's argument only.

    4. I presented unpleasant encounters of cats stealing food. You don't believe, ok. You request more evidence than words, fine. I may not may not provide more evidences to make it more convincing, depending on whether I want to convince you.
    You can say it is isolate incident, not applicable to general sense. that is fair too.

    But, If you accusing me of telling "stories", that is not right. It is akin to accusing of someone telling lies, a defamation of one's character.

    Finally, there is no need to issue offending insults/accusations in a discussion. I feel. Unless provoked in such said fashion.
    i'm not accusing you of telling stories. just saying evidence is not compelling enough. have i in anyway in my short essay insulted anyone?

    i'm just pointing out that the evidences you have produced, inference does not count. you are not allowed to , for example, in a court of law, infer the possible reasons if a defendant decides to not produce his own testimony, and the lack of it must not be taken into account. i hope you are clear with this point.

    facts and only facts shld be presented. thats all i am saying. and so far, the only piece of solid evidence was teh statistics, hope you understand what i'm getting at. opinions and stands change with evidence produced.if you provide more compellign evidence, i will be swayed to your side of the argument. take a step back, look if you have made any clear bias and then change your pov. most of us are stubborn, and this is one good time to review if we had been stubborn in our stand.

    and as for the noise part, my oversight. i probably crossed over with another person's comments by accident or something. for that i apologize
    hope this clarifies.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 22nd October 2010 at 11:42 AM.

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    i'm not accusing you of telling stories. just saying evidence is not compelling enough. have i in anyway in my short essay insulted anyone?
    No no no... Not referring to you. The last one is just comments.. Sorry if it cause concerns or misunderstanding.

    Also, I'm just clarifying wrt your comment.. not arguing with you or anything to that effect......

  6. #66

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    By become King Mod. the mod of mods. muahahahha
    lol
    Follow my tumblr
    Canon 500D Nikon FG 11-16 70-300 100 18-55 35 28-100

  7. #67
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    fair enough - i acknowledge that and i'm moving away from that.....
    For your own health we like to see you not only moving away from that, but moving totally out of that.
    Last edited by Sion; 22nd October 2010 at 12:22 PM.

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Somehow the emotions stirred
    you got any success stories to tell..?

  9. #69

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    just give up....it's impossible to win arguments in an online forum. both sides are simply too proud to accept defeat! and there is no judge to say who has won the argument.

    the only arguments than can be "won" are in a courtroom.

    Last edited by zaren; 22nd October 2010 at 01:42 PM.

  10. #70

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Why is there always a need to win and agguement?

    Do we have to always have the last word?

    Influencing people is not winning an arguement, it is much more complicated than that.

    Anyway, back to the first half of this question, does it really matter to win all arguements?

    i don't know, sometimes you can influence people by losing an argument deliberately.

  11. #71

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    just give up....it's impossible to win arguments in an online forum. both sides are simply too proud to accept defeat! and there is no judge to say who has won the argument.

    the only arguments than can be "won" are in a courtroom.


    in clubsnap, there are no winners if the arguments continue.

    what will happen is that the mods will just whack both, then all die.

    i don't really want to reach that stage, so i move away from that, but people keep knocking on my door. how?

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    you got any success stories to tell..?
    haha...do I need to tell my story. I thot I am already infamous by picking to argue with the mod. No love gained though.

  13. #73

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    haha...do I need to tell my story. I thot I am already infamous by picking to argue with the mod. No love gained though.
    so what did you gain out of it?

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    so what did you gain out of it?
    I don't gain anything. But I am not one that will keep quiet. Even if die also must voice my opinion. Else I will turn and toss, and might even rise from my grave to make my point.

  15. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    haha...do I need to tell my story. I thot I am already infamous by picking to argue with the mod. No love gained though.
    No really.. until someone post in KPT and say farewell to you......

  16. #76
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I don't gain anything. But I am not one that will keep quiet. Even if die also must voice my opinion. Else I will turn and toss, and might even rise from my grave to make my point.
    Aiyo why like that, good to see you back lah. Just enjoy the stay here lor.
    Last edited by Leong23; 22nd October 2010 at 03:38 PM.

  17. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    QFT. Posting. This thread.

    "puff hot air, sprouting rubbish.."

    well.. fine.. Quoted for reference.

    The last statement in the 2nd comment is interesting........ wonder whose post appear first..


    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    seriously though, in cs, people tend to bring their egos and somehow the environment (i suppose, not just here, but all over the net) and the misconception that you are anonymous allows one to puff a lot more hot air than is usual.

    so winning an argument? what do you term a winner? i think at one point in time or another we have seen people spouting rubbish who are convinced, probably till their grave, that they were 100% - no, make that 200% correct.

    no one wins - frankly speaking i think the quicker you walk away from an argument in cs the faster you win. but well, it isn't always so easy to walk away.
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    in clubsnap, there are no winners if the arguments continue.

    what will happen is that the mods will just whack both, then all die.

    i don't really want to reach that stage, so i move away from that, but people keep knocking on my door. how?

  18. #78
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Sion, you've got the "key"... Please be kind...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  19. #79
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I don't gain anything. But I am not one that will keep quiet. Even if die also must voice my opinion. Else I will turn and toss, and might even rise from my grave to make my point.
    i oddly remember a tribute thread to manwearpants

  20. #80
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Sion, you've got the "key"... Please be kind...
    Sion is busy doing self portrait.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •