Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

Default Re: How How to win arguments and influence people in CS?

How?

Why?

by being nice

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    How?

Why?
    becos owner can get to lay the rules mah.
    I will not be arguing on this one if you disagree.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The pretense of using pompous vocabulary may inadvertently portray that one is guilty of being intellectually superior and superficial and that such manifestation of hiding behind such veneer is a sign of weakness indicating that one lacks substance and cohesive reasoning power.

Hahaha! Simi sai!

You don't win any argument in any Internet forum. You just argue. With others.
    Other onlookers just laugh at the people who argue.
    It stops when everyone gets tired arguing.

That is from your home PC when you surf CS just for fun. Maybe once in while you want to argue in CS. Alright let off some steam. Rant.

But in the workplace - never argue online in the office email system.
    It will come back to haunt you.

Email is different from paper letter.
    Email can be forwarded and in a flash hundreds of other people in the company can see how stupid both the arguers are.... and worse it is forwarded to your clients outside the company. Your boss and his boss can then confirm how silly you really are. It is in (email) writing.
    Your subordinates laugh at you behind your back when they see it.
    Email does not go away. It cannot be put away like a paper letter that is thrown in waste basket.
    The recipients get angrier and angrier each time they look at it.
    After they deleted it, other people send a cc copy to them again.
    This email argument thing never dies.
    You have unnecessarily made others bitter about you and they will get back at you when they can.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 21st October 2010 at 11:00 PM.

2 ways... either by authoritative (with real executive power) or persuasive (high EQ and a really good charming speaker)
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    You don't win any argument in any Internet forum. You just argue. With others.
    Other onlookers just laugh at the people who argue.
    It stops when everyone gets tired arguing.

That is from your home PC when you surf CS just for fun. Maybe once in while you want to argue in CS. Alright let off some steam. Rant.

But in the workplace - never argue online in the office email system.
    It will come back to haunt you.

Email is different from paper letter.
    Email can be forwarded and in a flash hundreds of other people in the company can see how stupid both the arguers are.... and worse it is forwarded to your clients outside the company. Your boss and his boss can then confirm how silly you really are. It is in (email) writing.
    Your subordinates laugh at you behind your back when they see it.
    Email does not go away. It cannot be put away like a paper letter that is thrown in waste basket.
    The recipients get angrier and angrier each time they look at it.
    After they deleted it, other people send a cc copy to them again.
    This email argument thing never dies.
    You have unnecessarily made others bitter about you and they will get back at you when they can.
    good sound advice

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    2 ways... either by authoritative (with real executive power) or persuasive (high EQ and a really good charming speaker)
    Sadly most people use popularity. Personal connections to achieve things.

Sometimes no matter how absurd a popular person's views are there are people who will listen to him

How to win arguments and influence people in CS?
    This is CS, the one with the better picture win the argument or silence the critics

The one with the bigger lens influence people or scare them to death

Quote Originally Posted by lkkang View Post
    When you cannot convince someone, you confuse them
    True

I feel very giddy reading sion's cheem language

seriously though, in cs, people tend to bring their egos and somehow the environment (i suppose, not just here, but all over the net) and the misconception that you are anonymous allows one to puff a lot more hot air than is usual.

so winning an argument? what do you term a winner? i think at one point in time or another we have seen people spouting rubbish who are convinced, probably till their grave, that they were 100% - no, make that 200% correct.

no one wins - frankly speaking i think the quicker you walk away from an argument in cs the faster you win. but well, it isn't always so easy to walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Sadly most people use popularity. Personal connections to achieve things.

Sometimes no matter how absurd a popular person's views are there are people who will listen to him
    that is true.

after all, if the da ge of a gwc clan is buay song, then he will get all his gwc xiao di di to support him... or the xiao mei mei who are under his sway to join in too.

then you really, really can't win without getting your eyes clawed out, if you even think that you can win against such overwhelming circumstances.

The pretense of using pompous vocabulary may inadvertently portray that one is guilty of being intellectually superior and superficial and that such manifestation of hiding behind such veneer is a sign of weakness indicating that one lacks substance and cohesive reasoning power.

Si Bei Chim..... kong Si Mi???
    I am IN LOVE with my Camera....
    flickr

I know of a ex-GM who always want to win in everything, he influence everyone to what he wants...a real a%%*&^e. After the owners sold the company, he somehow lost his job in a merger. I accidentally met him some time back. Not as loud-mouth and looks down-on-luck. I wanted to console him, but back in my mind I remembered how badly he treated me. So I gave a casual excuse and walked off. I knew he wanted someone to talked to. Sadly, I can forgive, but not forget. It is easy to win in every arguments and influence people (even easier if u are of a higher position). But once you loose that position, being avoided and isolated will be a bigger challenge.

Winnings are like fix number of eggs in the womb. After winning too many times, people stop playing the same game with you, and change the rules to make you loose. In this harsh world, I prefer to moderate my wins.... so that when I grow old, I can still win some lose some.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    seriously though, in cs, people tend to bring their egos and somehow the environment (i suppose, not just here, but all over the net) and the misconception that you are anonymous allows one to puff a lot more hot air than is usual.

so winning an argument? what do you term a winner? i think at one point in time or another we have seen people spouting rubbish who are convinced, probably till their grave, that they were 100% - no, make that 200% correct.

no one wins - frankly speaking i think the quicker you walk away from an argument in cs the faster you win. but well, it isn't always so easy to walk away.
    So, are you not trying to win the argument by responding to this thread with your own argument?

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    So, are you not trying to win the argument by responding to this thread with your own argument?
    bye!!!!!!!

Just present facts to support your point.

It's up to pple whether they wanna believe.

Those who turn a blind eye to facts, there's nothing you can do.

It's not important whether pple support you. What is important is to present facts and not trying to promote mistaken beliefs despite all the facts present before them..

For e.g.

A says human will never be able to touch the cloud by any means. if they can, then elephants can too.

B presented pictures/video showing a human in the air, in a plane. It's up to the viewer to judge whether the human is capable of reaching out his hand and touch the clouds, and to deduce whether an elephant can do the same w/o human assistance.

To win is to able to move on, and not letting their ego rule over their head.
    Last edited by Leong23; 22nd October 2010 at 08:07 AM.

Blog Entries

haha. i sense danger in this thread again. soon!

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    haha. i sense danger in this thread again. soon!
    So gotten your popcorn and found a good seat?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast