Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: APS-C vs FF, how close are they today?

Thumbs up Re: APS-C vs FF, how close are they today?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    Well, I just want your opinion for one who have stuck to Pentax for so long. Both Pentax and Olympus are both Japanese and it's not like picking Africa against USA. From a digital standpoint, I went from APS-C to FF and whenever I view my old photos against my new, I always ask my self, what's the difference. Why spend so much more to achieve something I don't really know how to appreciate or need for that matter. Pros and hobbyists, including people like me may have mindsets that derail us from reality. The main reason I pose this thread is to find comfort and solace in getting back to APS-C.

I find solace in what you said.

Helps beat the BBB virus too.

Cheers.

Default Re: APS-C vs FF, how close are they today?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, looking at your signature, do you think if another guy uses an Olympus E5 with a 14-35f2 and a 35-100f2, can his system be as good as yours in terms of IQ. I purposely choose Oly because technically, they are the closest to your system in terms of FOV so no direct advantage in terms of reach, f2.8 against f2 which is quite close in terms of DOF on each format, except, utimately. other implications in sensor size consideration. Can the Oly system be as good, considering price, convenience in terms of size and weight advantage offset the plusses of having FF?
    Well I do not have any experience with olympus systems so I tink that it is not apt of me to comment on that...
    Canon 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 50 f/1.4 USM | 580EXII |

each has its uses, weight and such. its the right tool for the right job. You dont really need that bokeh all the time issnt it. thats probably why you chose to return to aps-c and reallocate the funds. Nt to mention the full frame dof needs some getting used to, Too shallow for certain works.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

Just my personal view on this...

There are always a trade off on either format.

Say 5D2 and 7D.

In term of IQ wise, 5D2 will have more detail but 7D is not too far away. (for ppl like me, dun really bother that much)

Speed wise, no brainer... 7D!

DOF, Definitely 5D2 will give shallower DOF if using the same focal length and F-Stop
    (If FF wish to get the same DOF as CF, they will lose Time Value and vice-versa if CF wanna get the same DOF as FF, they will gain Time Value)

ISO. I will still find 5D2 provide better noise control over 7D, (I usually shoot ISO 1600 if needed on 7D) but ISO 1600 good enough for everyone?

If there is a system which have the Combination of 7D + 5D2 it must be expensive... Can I say 1D4 is the one?

I will say both format are more physical different.
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

i personally think very close... i always thought i'll need FF... but right now after few bodies is out with very usable high ISO, e.g. 7d, d7000, etc... i don't really need to go FF just to get high ISO performance...

for ultra wide lovers wanting 14mm or even 12mm... it's in fact easily solved with Panorama on crop sensor... no matter on crop sensor or FF sensor, Panorama could cover up to 360 degree... compared to 12mm is covering a mere 122 degree on FF...

the only reason i could think needing a FF body is, able to use tilt-shift lens without any limitation... but frankly, i don't know i'll learn how to use tilt shift properly to justify the cost of body + lens...

just my thought...

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    for ultra wide lovers wanting 14mm or even 12mm... it's in fact easily solved with Panorama on crop sensor... no matter on crop sensor or FF sensor, Panorama could cover up to 360 degree... compared to 12mm is covering a mere 122 degree on FF...
    APS-C can do 12mm what..... no issue....got the glass to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    APS-C can do 12mm what..... no issue....got the glass to do that.
    sorry bro... i meant wider than 12mm... sorry for the confusion caused by my poor english...

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    sorry bro... i meant wider than 12mm... sorry for the confusion caused by my poor english...
    No problem. Actually from all those landscape pix with the Sigma 8-16 DC lens on cropped bodies is already plenty wide. I don't like fisheye anyway....

They will never be close unless all consumer switch to one side and it does not benefit either.
    perhaps all switching to FF and make it more affordable...yah?

Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    No problem. Actually from all those landscape pix with the Sigma 8-16 DC lens on cropped bodies is already plenty wide. I don't like fisheye anyway....
    yep agree on that 8mm on crop is insanely wide... but everytime i go out for photos especially those ulu ulu places... i'll come back with a few panorama sets...

i wanted to buy FF body because i want the real 14mm rather than 14mm x 1.5... but after a few outings with the lens on crop body, i found myself more often stitch 4 photos or more for panorama from 150 to 210 degree horizontally (which 14mm on FF still doesn't cover this much)... so i guess i'll still doing the same even IF i'm using FF...

hope this clarifies things a bit...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12