Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Newbie needs advice

  1. #1

    Default Newbie needs advice

    Hi CS bros/sis,

    I am new to this hobby and would like an advice on what camera n lens I should get.

    I am more into City/Land Scapes Pics.

    Thanks
    Zedge

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    can give more details like:
    • Budget?
    • Which brand are you interested in
    • Are you looking for starter kit lens or pro lens?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Budget is ard $2k, looking at Canon or Nikon.

    I was thinking of getting a body n lens separately

  4. #4
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zedge View Post
    Budget is ard $2k, looking at Canon or Nikon.

    I was thinking of getting a body n lens separately
    strictly a $2k budget either a Canon or Nikon:

    Canon: 550D
    Nikon: D3100

    Depending on your needs, match either a Tamron 18-270 VC or 17-50VC. Sell the kit lens if only the kit is available.

    anything better, like 60D, 7D or D7000 will blow your budget.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    The new Pentax Kr is a viable choice.
    Very price competitive and performance.
    Camera, 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses is closer to half your budget ($1070 from SLR Revolution), leaving your something left for better lenses and accessories.
    here is a review.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778924
    Last edited by pinholecam; 21st October 2010 at 02:40 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zedge View Post
    Budget is ard $2k, looking at Canon or Nikon.

    I was thinking of getting a body n lens separately
    Well, I'm a Nikon fan, but I do think the other brands offer viable alternatives, sometimes at lower price points.
    Do keep an open mind regarding the brands, especially if you don't have any existing gear from a particular brand.

    edit: do also consider buying a 2nd hand set. Chances are you might be tempted to change cameras after some time, so buying 2nd hand could save you some of the depreciation cost...
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 21st October 2010 at 09:06 AM.
    Exploring! :)

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    The new Pentax Kr is a viable choice.
    Very price competitive and performance.
    Camera, 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses is closer to half your budget, leaving your something left for better lenses and accessories.
    here is a review.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778924
    Especially now that Pentax Kx + 18-55 is going at a very special price of 699. Totally worth it.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    I was thinking of getting a Canon 550D body & a EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 lens

    Gd enuff for beginners?

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zedge View Post
    I was thinking of getting a Canon 550D body & a EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 lens

    Gd enuff for beginners?
    Sure.

    Any camera is good enough for beginners.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Well,
    I think a nikon d90 would be a good body. Cost about $1200 first hand or 900+ 2nd hand i guess.
    A wide angle lens , tokina 11-16mm, amazing lens, good for landscapes
    A 18-55mm which is extremely affordable but very good valued walk about lens.
    Should cost u around 2k. Of course that is excluding tripods , bags, filters, dry cabinet etc that u might wanna get too.

    Good luck

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zedge View Post
    I was thinking of getting a Canon 550D body & a EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 lens
    Gd enuff for beginners?
    In the beginning, most people are not good enough for the even the basic models Up to you when you turn the table
    EOS

  12. #12

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    5D classic + 17-40L (2nd hand price around 1.4 + 800 - 900ish)

  13. #13

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zedge View Post
    I was thinking of getting a Canon 550D body & a EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 lens

    Gd enuff for beginners?
    Sure! its good enough.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Quote Originally Posted by jgjonathangoh View Post
    Well,
    I think a nikon d90 would be a good body. Cost about $1200 first hand or 900+ 2nd hand i guess.
    A wide angle lens , tokina 11-16mm, amazing lens, good for landscapes
    A 18-55mm which is extremely affordable but very good valued walk about lens.
    Should cost u around 2k. Of course that is excluding tripods , bags, filters, dry cabinet etc that u might wanna get too.

    Good luck

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    beside jurong point
    Posts
    704

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Im sure you missed out a lot of those more important accessories, like dry cabinet or drybox & silica gels, lenspen, blower, filters(mainly GND, ND, UV, CPL for landscapes), decent tripod & tripod head and bag, and if you need software like lightroom for post processing.

    Do remember to add in the account that accessories play a big part in creating and maintaining good photography.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Quote Originally Posted by ngck12 View Post
    Im sure you missed out a lot of those more important accessories, like dry cabinet or drybox & silica gels, lenspen, blower, filters(mainly GND, ND, UV, CPL for landscapes), decent tripod & tripod head and bag, and if you need software like lightroom for post processing.

    Do remember to add in the account that accessories play a big part in creating and maintaining good photography.
    Yep. Its not only the camera. But i dun think ND n GND are must have for beginers.

    TS, u might want to go some electronics store like courts or harvey to try the camera's out. That'll help u decide.

  17. #17
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie needs advice

    Quote Originally Posted by ngck12 View Post
    Im sure you missed out a lot of those more important accessories, like dry cabinet or drybox & silica gels, lenspen, blower, filters(mainly GND, ND, UV, CPL for landscapes), decent tripod & tripod head and bag, and if you need software like lightroom for post processing.

    Do remember to add in the account that accessories play a big part in creating and maintaining good photography.
    GND, ND are definitely not stuff essential for newbies.

    Start shooting first, and as you know what you need, then buy them slowly...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •