Thread: High attitude photography

Default High attitude photography

Can someone advise me whether necessary to use polarizing filter when in high attitude. Read in a photography magazine somewhere mentioning that the air at high attitude is so clean that you need not use polarizing filter. The sky will be overdone; too blue when used.

Any comments?

Default Re: High attitude photography

i still use it during my mt kinabalu trip... u can view my flickr for the photos and see for yourself if the sky colors are ok for u.

PingKhean, I think it's altitude with an L there.

It's a light filter so worth it to pack along. Depends on season, weather of the day & of course if over 3Kft high. You get beautiful blue skies up there but if the weather's bad, it can ruin it.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

Polarizing filter is use to absorb light reflection and saturating the colour. I don't know anything about not needing it for high altitude. But I suggest you may need a neutral density filter on higher altitude due to the fogging of the cloud around the area you are photographing. But then again the concern for wind, so a sturdy tripod is a must.

Depending on the scene you are photographing. For winter (reflection) you may need it, autumn (leaves of various too saturating colours) you may not need it, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by pingkhean View Post
    Can someone advise me whether necessary to use polarizing filter when in high attitude. Read in a photography magazine somewhere mentioning that the air at high attitude is so clean that you need not use polarizing filter. The sky will be overdone; too blue when used.

Any comments?
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. ~Yousuf Karsh.
    http://www.flickr.com/dslrman

Blog Entries

u just need a high nose pointed up
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by NineEleven View Post
    I think it's altitude with an L there.
    For Canon only Pro users.

Just back from Mt Everest and I agree the blue skies can really darken almost to black at high altitude... on the flip side snow capped mountains can really pop when you use a polarisor... I used the polarisor in lower altitudes and tended to leave it off as we got higher.. however met another photographer at Base Camp (said he shoots for Nat Geo) who never took it off and just dealt with the blues on post...

so like a lot of things in photography... it depends.... have a play and make up your own mind I'd say...

Cheers
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Just back from Mt Everest and I agree the blue skies can really darken almost to black at high altitude... on the flip side snow capped mountains can really pop when you use a polarisor... I used the polarisor in lower altitudes and tended to leave it off as we got higher.. however met another photographer at Base Camp (said he shoots for Nat Geo) who never took it off and just dealt with the blues on post...

so like a lot of things in photography... it depends.... have a play and make up your own mind I'd say...

Cheers
    Mark
    Agree, just back from EBC also
    Brought GND, Polariser, ND Filters
    All not used , just using my UV filter
    but no regrets bringing , for those just in case situations

Quote Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
    Agree, just back from EBC also
    Brought GND, Polariser, ND Filters
    All not used , just using my UV filter
    but no regrets bringing , for those just in case situations
    Hello sweeper, will you be posting some of your pictures ?

Edit: Just saw your Tibet postings. Question asnswered.
    Last edited by Daoyin; 15th December 2010 at 11:18 AM.