Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need to vent!!!

Default Re: Need to vent!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Kit,

The things I like about you are:
    1. You sound "professional" and very proud of your works
    2. You have a no-nonsense sense of direction
    3. You hate people who want to try their luck with getting more mileage from any deals

the bad thing about you is:
    You are rather arrogant which is bad for your long-term business.

Normally I would stay clear from contractors who behave like you even though I am sure you will do a good job.

Just my honest view.
    Thanks for the honest feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Let's not focus on the irrelevant stuff shall we?

Thanks for your view though.
    see what i mean? arrogant, top of the shelf pro. He must have thought being called "inflexible" by his client relevant enough for him to rant here. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    both parties have a part to play, but sometimes, the consumer is not right. i don't believe that the customer service staff has to pay for the customer's bad attitudes all the time. the more we let a customer gain a foothold, the more we'll lose out in the long run. if you turn Professional as a photographer, and your works are respected, i'm sure the clients will come.

and hey. everyone be nice!
    sure. U r right. We won't let clients have the stranglehold on u. but look at that email again. I dun think the client was all out to take advantage of the arrogant TS. All he asked was some more photos. If the arrogant TS thinks he wun shoot more unless he gets paid more, then say so in the reply. At least the client will know what a money-driven *** he is. But look at his reply ...and then come here to rant about it? My ass is off laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by lancey View Post
    sure. U r right. We won't let clients have the stranglehold on u. but look at that email again. I dun think the client was all out to take advantage of the arrogant TS. All he asked was some more photos. If the arrogant TS thinks he wun shoot more unless he gets paid more, then say so in the reply. At least the client will know what a money-driven *** he is. But look at his reply ...and then come here to rant about it? My ass is off laughing.
    Make sure you stay close to your ass, you don't want it wonder too far away .....

remember to rant here again next time a mosquito bites you. LOL

guys, kool down a bit
    go for a coffee break and come back later .....
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    guys, kool down a bit
    go for a coffee break and come back later .....
    Hahaha I think coffee is a great idea, someone here obviously didn't get his coffee in the morning, that's why so irritated.

I think i might get a "shut door in my face" treatment from Kit after reflecting upon myself and realised that I have tendency to ask more... with a bit of difference, I will ask right at the beginning.... gotta reflect on myself... gotta....
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    both parties have a part to play, but sometimes, the consumer is not right. i don't believe that the customer service staff has to pay for the customer's bad attitudes all the time. the more we let a customer gain a foothold, the more we'll lose out in the long run. if you turn Professional as a photographer, and your works are respected, i'm sure the clients will come.
    Yo~ I was in service before also. It's a no choice situation. When customer is not right, you still got to treat them like they are right.

If we look at the same situation as what Kit mentioned, if the client mentioned something like, "You better top up photos for me, else i will not take up your service". Then, i think that's a little threatening. Perhaps we don't need to sound so nice either.

However from this example, it's more of a "trying my luck" kind of question. The tone of the clients sounded rather ok and looks promising that he will take up Kit's service. I believe if this client is rejected politely, he could still engage the service of Kit. Right?

I hope i sounded chill ar? No bad intent. Just wanting to share from a consumer's point of view. Not here to bring down anyone.

Ok folks, he wrote back to me and I responded. Issue settled amicably(relatively speaking) but I informed him that I do not wish to take up the assignments. He is ok with it. Case closed. Thanks for the feedback

keep the emails to a minimum, and in the really important email explaining the services rendered, highlight/bold/underline non-negotiable policies like fixed price fixed goods when payment etc, better yet with concise rationales... if need be send out reminders at appropriate stages.
    d850 | a7r3 | I1P | P4P | Videos | Photos | Aerials

I also feel that it is very important to highlight and underline + bold in case the prices and deliverables are not to be bargained with unless explicitly stated by you. Some people just like to try their luck with you, it is a local culture..... Some times if they are from China, it is usually the norm.
    For me it really depends on the circumstances, usually I am open for bargain for a wee bit.

So Kit, I think in your PDF perhaps you need to state extremely clearly in bold about that. Perhaps include a FAQ. I do include a FAQ, and it cuts down a lot of the explanation. Believe it or not, 80-90% of the couples who ask to meetup with me, and I tell them that I'd need them to confirm immediately during the meetup, no issue at all, ie 100% confirmation for all meetups. Also naturally, this means that out of 10 clients who emails me, only 0.5-1 would call and be interested in a meetup. It used to be meet 4-5 clients and then 1 signs up, ie 4-5hrs of meetup with 1 signup. I cannot be charging ~ 1k per shoot pure profit for this kind of huge effort (eg 20 man hours per assignment). This process also more or less filters out all the super demanding clients, I leave that to the multi-K dollars photogs who can justify the time/effort taken for any "additional efforts needed".

PS. Agree with the "Rather to lost a job than picking up pieces." statement. I have been there done that several times regarding nasty customers (return 1 lousy photo and I will kill ya man). As I shoot in "volume" and I have 2 other biz as well, there is no way I have the time/effort/mental capacity to deal with all the s***.
    Last edited by 2100; 21st October 2010 at 08:21 PM.

actually i dont see what's wrong with acceding to the client's request. he did ask nicely, you will still be paid the same and since the photos have already been shot, the marginal cost is not much.

i think the goodwill would have gone a long way.

i would have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    actually i dont see what's wrong with acceding to the client's request. he did ask nicely, you will still be paid the same and since the photos have already been shot, the marginal cost is not much.

i think the goodwill would have gone a long way.

i would have done it.
    From the way you phrased it, its apparent you missed out all the vital details along the way.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    I also feel that it is very important to highlight and underline + bold in case the prices and deliverables are not to be bargained with unless explicitly stated by you. Some people just like to try their luck with you, it is a local culture..... Some times if they are from China, it is usually the norm.
    For me it really depends on the circumstances, usually I am open for bargain for a wee bit.

So Kit, I think in your PDF perhaps you need to state extremely clearly in bold about that. Perhaps include a FAQ. I do include a FAQ, and it cuts down a lot of the explanation. Believe it or not, 80-90% of the couples who ask to meetup with me, and I tell them that I'd need them to confirm immediately during the meetup, no issue at all, ie 100% confirmation for all meetups. Also naturally, this means that out of 10 clients who emails me, only 0.5-1 would call and be interested in a meetup. It used to be meet 4-5 clients and then 1 signs up, ie 4-5hrs of meetup with 1 signup. I cannot be charging ~ 1k per shoot pure profit for this kind of huge effort (eg 20 man hours per assignment). This process also more or less filters out all the super demanding clients, I leave that to the multi-K dollars photogs who can justify the time/effort taken for any "additional efforts needed".

PS. Agree with the "Rather to lost a job than picking up pieces." statement. I have been there done that several times regarding nasty customers (return 1 lousy photo and I will kill ya man). As I shoot in "volume" and I have 2 other biz as well, there is no way I have the time/effort/mental capacity to deal with all the s***.
    Thanks!! I'll pm you later? I'd like to discuss with you further.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234