Thread: N-Safari Halloween - Need opinion (Not for faint hearted) - REPOST

Default N-Safari Halloween - Need opinion (Not for faint hearted) - REPOST

Originally posted in Ready, Lights Action! (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782131) but found it may not be exactly appropriate or traffic-heavy. Reposting it here as seeking opinion.

[ WARNING: Contains images that may spook or be disturbing ]

So a bunch of us went to Night Safari Halloween on a Friday evening, where all the actors came out to play.

Tried to take some animal shots but some of the access/features were altered to accomodate the event.

Fair enough, went on to enjoy the "scares" - actors jumping out at the tram, hiding in bushes etc - more scare-tactics than spooky

Except this one.....

The tram-ride would pass this chinese "ghost wedding" setting. Mannequins and cut-outs litter the small open area that this was staged. As it passed, I noticed that this one stood out from the other cut-outs, so I took this shot as the tram passed by. Some of us though it was another mannequin but I thought I saw the body turn to face the tram and my wife thought she saw the head/eyes turn.

Need your advice - what the hell did I just shoot? Part of the neck is missing, the eyes/hand looks real, heck, there's a microphone attached. Everyone who saw this has been spooked and don't wanna see it anymore.....

No editing, straight RAW to JPEG conversion.

Resized version:

100% crop:

I can't explain this.... hoping someone else can...

Default Re: N-Safari Halloween - Need opinion (Not for faint hearted) - REPOST

Hmmmm no offence but it sure looks like Photoshop to me.... simply erase parts of the face and shrink the neck. The face borders look too nicely cut off.

The 'cut off neck' is due to the light behind i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Hmmmm no offence but it sure looks like Photoshop to me.... simply erase parts of the face and shrink the neck. The face borders look too nicely cut off.
    I absolutely agree with you that, in normal circumstances, I'd be calling out "Photoshop!!!" as well.

But now this CR2 raw file sits in my folder, and when opened, I'm confronted with this. So now I'm perplexed, unless my 500D suddenly has a portable-PS installed and has auto-PS functions.....

The 'cut off neck' is due to the light behind i feel.
    That's what someone else commented as well. But if that were the case, then the light would create a diffused removal compared to the sharp-edged exclusion that's there. Also, this won't explain the beads of the head-dress that drapes across the area in question.

Seriously, this isnt a hoax photo. It's really what my CR2 file threw up and I'm all the more confused. Honestly, can't bear to stare too long at the close-up. Freaking myself out some actually....

Quote Originally Posted by Sivakis View Post
    I absolutely agree with you that, in normal circumstances, I'd be calling out "Photoshop!!!" as well.

But now this CR2 raw file sits in my folder, and when opened, I'm confronted with this. So now I'm perplexed, unless my 500D suddenly has a portable-PS installed and has auto-PS functions.....

That's what someone else commented as well. But if that were the case, then the light would create a diffused removal compared to the sharp-edged exclusion that's there. Also, this won't explain the beads of the head-dress that drapes across the area in question.

Seriously, this isnt a hoax photo. It's really what my CR2 file threw up and I'm all the more confused. Honestly, can't bear to stare too long at the close-up. Freaking myself out some actually....
    Yea, it isn't a hoax. just photography. long exposure + flash with no tripod (assuming you're sitting on that ride). Don't worry.

shaky hands and long exposure? the face is scary though but its a mask right? I'm going this friday night, now dont feel like going. scared got nightmares.
    Insults so far:
    "Sad, got hypocrite like u.", greenieadi(2010)

Gotta go home and check my EXIF data on the exposure. Can't remember atm but I think I was on M mode and also can't remember if I was using manual or auto focus. Will update in a few hours.

Is it spooky? Well, it's more scare tactics than creepy - just be mentally prepared for actors rushing out to "scare" you. Their makeup's pretty good though - that we all agreed. Still a fun trip.

Muckafutha, go for it and enjoy it. it's not that bad and let me know if you take the tram and your views on the above....

movement + light behind.

friend on fb has a photo of this also.

anyway it's an actor/ress not a mannequin.
    Last edited by eleveninth; 20th October 2010 at 05:29 PM.

its an actress..
    correct me if im wrong but i think that was actually from the lights behind.. that happens when you take photos while moving (sometimes).. plus slow shutter speed. I once took a picture in low light with slow shutter speed, my friend was totally transparent. (as in you can totally see the background through him.)
    p/s, my friend is not a ghost.

Thanks for all the replies

EXIF data if anyone's interested and yeah, shutter speed was kindda slow:

Shutter Speed: 1/8
    Exposure Program: Manual
    F-Stop: f/5
    ISO: 3200
    Focal Length: 18mm
    Flash: Fired
    Metering Mode: Spot

Quote Originally Posted by Sivakis View Post
    Thanks for all the replies

EXIF data if anyone's interested and yeah, shutter speed was kindda slow:

Shutter Speed: 1/8
    Exposure Program: Manual
    F-Stop: f/5
    ISO: 3200
    Focal Length: 18mm
    Flash: Fired
    Metering Mode: Spot
    1/8 is quite slow when you're moving with no tripod if you ask me.

is just light.......

because you used flash.....

next time, find a dark room, do something like that with slow shutter speed and run to the camera with flash being used....

basically whatever the flash covered would appear that way, then your camera moved after that.

it is possible that the person was turning her head at that time, and your flash only lit those parts that you see... after that her head moved, and there was insufficient light on it thereafter to give the subsequent position.
    Last edited by night86mare; 21st October 2010 at 10:56 AM.