Thread: Your camera journey

Default Your camera journey

Did you move from small camera to big DSLR with heavy lenses and find that heavy gears are slowly taking away the fun of shooting and are now thinking of going back to light camera with small lenses to enjoy everyday shooting?

I used my son's digital camera for a short time and bought myself an entry level 6mp DSLR last year. I learned a lot and enjoy shooting with this camera but I am beginning to see the limitations. There are better cameras and better lenses for an upgrade but I ask myself whether it is wise to go ahead knowing the weight of the high end gears will become a problem.

Leica, my dream system but out of reach.

High end compact camera?
    Last edited by LBL2009; 20th October 2010 at 02:23 PM.
    Fuji X100s, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 vc, Nikon 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8f

Default Re: Your camera journey

my journey?

it started way back in 2002 (i registered as another user in this forum back then and get to know this forum thru HWZ forum). Bought a Canon A40 back then but later got into a r/s and decided to buy a more idiot proof cam Panasonic FX01... but later also no time to shoot. I went back to photography again last year after i got my first DSLR (Canon 450D) and earlier upgraded to 5DMKII

I started out on a Yashica Electro GS almost 3 years back.

Still on a rangefinder today & enjoying it. Not with the Yashica Electro GS anymore though, kept it in the dry cabinet for display

Started with Minolta film SLR when i was a student. film was too troublesome n expensive to develop / print.

Dropped the expensive hobby.

Bought a small Canon Powershot A series (dont remember model number) for travel pics.

Then upgrade to Canon S11 also mainly for travel pics.

Finally migrated to Nikon D300. Very tired to carry around now. And getting too busy to shoot.

May just sell off everything and quit this hobby entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    Did you move from small camera to big DSLR with heavy lenses and find that heavy gears are slowly taking away the fun of shooting and are now thinking of going back to light camera with small lenses to enjoy everyday shooting?

I used my son's digital camera for a short time and bought myself an entry level 6mp DSLR last year. I learned a lot and enjoy shooting with this camera but I am beginning to see the limitations. There are better cameras and better lenses for an upgrade but I ask myself whether it is wise to go ahead knowing the weight of the high end gears will become a problem.

Leica, my dream system but out of reach.

High end compact camera?
    why not consider m4/3 system? granted there are limitations (hi-ISO performance and slightly slower AF speed than DSLR) but the benefits are better image quality than even hi end pns and portability.

I used to lug my Nikon D700 when travelling but find it too tiring. I bought the GF1 and had been using it for my holidays (so far brought it for 2 trips). I find it less stressful and I am more willing to pass it to the tour guide to take group photos for my family. This reduces the need to bring along a heavy tripod and the holiday becomes more enjoyable.

Another advantage of m4/3 system is that it can mount Leica lenses by using an adaptor!
    Last edited by coolsigg; 20th October 2010 at 05:19 PM.

GF1 seems to be a good fit.

Started with some add on digital camera on my Palm PDA.

Then -

* Oly 3000 Zoom
    * Canon Ixus 400
    * Powershot 610, 650 IS,
    * EOS 400D, 40D, 7D

There are time when I consider going back to something 'small'.... perhaps Canon G series camera or even 4/3 system.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Blog Entries

my journey?

2000: shot with cheapo disposable film cameras. shot without understanding a thing. looking back, those photos mean so much interms of memories.
    2001: shot with school's digital cameras. the ones that runs on diskette. remembers how i used to lug a whole box of diskettes to just cover an event.
    2002: still shooting with the digital cameras, had the chance to play with polariods too
    2003: shooting with compacts, film compacts that were made to last. had a flash too!
    2004: moved on to family camera. a small compact digital. used to be CF card, with 64 mb i think...
    2005: my mid time of my life. primary school now has digital SLRS! shot with a 300d/350d? not too sure...covering events now
    2006-2008: shot with film slr, a very sexy minolta x300s i think
    2008-2010: now i'm on my 450d!

Started photography on jan2010 with my first DSLR camera sony A550. Changed to A850 on july 2010 as it's a great deal. Now I'm stuck and dunno how to improve my skill... If I dun figure it out, I gonna be dead! lol
    Sony α
    My Flickr | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Zahne View Post
    Started photography on jan2010 with my first DSLR camera sony A550. Changed to A850 on july 2010 as it's a great deal. Now I'm stuck and dunno how to improve my skill... If I dun figure it out, I gonna be dead! lol
    Six months into photography and you are already on Full Frame.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    2008-2010: now i'm on my 450d!
    Keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    Finally migrated to Nikon D300. Very tired to carry around now. And getting too busy to shoot.

May just sell off everything and quit this hobby entirely.
    You don't have to quit. Get a smaller camera and shoot as and when you feel like it.

Six months into photography and you are already on Full Frame.
    Got my A850 at $1.6k nia
    Sony α
    My Flickr | Facebook

Blog Entries

Keep going.
    its good enough for what i need already dun think any upgrades will take place soon. perhaps another 5 years?

i owned Minolta SLR X300s and then X700 in late 80s/early 90s..
    once married i gave up coz film photography is such an expensive hobby..

late 90s bought lumix 2m pixel for family used.
    then bought my current canon S5.. and now will be getting DSLR.. yeah..

my biggest regret.. i threw away my x700 and 35-135mm zoom lens, when i was moving house.. thinking film photography is dead..
    how wrong i am.. shheeezzz..

the only stuffs i keep are my minolta strap and few p-series cokin filters.
    ~PeaceNoWar~