Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Heron Hunting Anyone?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Heron Hunting Anyone?

    Anyone keen to go heron hunting? I've got a few locations in mind, Sungei Buloh, Yishun Dam, Marina and West Coast Park being some of them. Anyone who has other locations pls fill me in! Time and place to be confirmed upon confirmation of participants!

  2. #2

    Default

    hehee.. you forgot about Jurong Bird Park
    hehhee..


    Up for you

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    North SG
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Count me in ............

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    Just finished a low tide shoot at yishun dam yesterday. Herons galore. However, be warned! be prepared to get dirty and sun burned. I'll be going there again soon. Kayaro, give me a call at 90698948. We can arrange to meet up.

  5. #5
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    Just finished a low tide shoot at yishun dam yesterday. Herons galore. However, be warned! be prepared to get dirty and sun burned. I'll be going there again soon. Kayaro, give me a call at 90698948. We can arrange to meet up.
    You should also try the Lower Seletar Reservoir on the sea-facing side.

    At low tides, there is a group of Herons (could be Great Blue Herons) congregrating on the right at the sort of boat-parking area. Counted about 7-8 of them. The area is shaded from the road by a row of trees, so good opportunity to sneak up and snipe from behind the trees.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    thats the yishun dam area daren. Great spot, but very inaccessible. Lots of climbing to be done and the ground is rather soft. Locals have also warned of cobras.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    You should also try the Lower Seletar Reservoir on the sea-facing side.

    At low tides, there is a group of Herons (could be Great Blue Herons) congregrating on the right at the sort of boat-parking area. Counted about 7-8 of them. The area is shaded from the road by a row of trees, so good opportunity to sneak up and snipe from behind the trees.
    Those are Grey Herons (Ardea cinerea), the local variants of the Great Blue Herons found in America. At one time some months back there were a lot of them around the area, prolly around 30 or 40, however there seems to be much less this time round. From what I heard some of them were shot because that particular area is in close proximity to an air strip, the presence of the birds could pose a threat to safety of aircraft approaching or taking off. Also that area might be redeveloped soon so the herons may not be around for much longer.

  8. #8
    Member wkcheah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Haig Road, Singapore
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    ... From what I heard some of them were shot because that particular area is in close proximity to an air strip, the presence of the birds could pose a threat to safety of aircraft approaching or taking off. Also that area might be redeveloped soon so the herons may not be around for much longer.
    That is so sad.

    Sad because if civilization cannot appreciate nature, one day, our children may have to refer to history books to learn about the beautiful flora and fauna around us ...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    hmm...that would explain. Still, the grey herons are quite plentiful. I've just checked the tide timings, the next few days offer relatively low tides around mid day. I've shot during that time of the day and i can assure u that the lighting is excellent if scorching....anyone keen for friday tentatively? or sunday or monday? show of hands pls! Btw, u'll need 01xPCK yellow boots. The mud is no joke. Or army standard issue boots.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,678

    Default

    No wonder i saw a big white mama sticking out in the mud the other day.....
    The grey herons population are dwindling down. But if you look closer, you might see my friend, the elusive Purple Heron. That is an even more beautiful bird than the Great Blue Heron.
    http://www.avianwatchasia.org for some real bird photos
    My website : http://www.gorgeousfeathers.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    err
    actually, i saw one in sungei buloh the other day. The main hide when u walk in. The guy is always fishing there. I spent an entire day slacking there on friday. Just reading and enjoying the quietness..haha. I'm a bum at heart!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore - Indonesia
    Posts
    252

    Default

    think it would be fun... never shoot animal before, except my pets.. :P

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •