Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cats...where to find?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cats...where to find?

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Perhaps, I wouldn't have believe cats are capable of all those stealing food stuff in high rise flats if not for personal unpleasant encounters. hence, it is understandable that others may not believe what is told. The HDB ban of cats may also have helped to alleviate the situation, bringing cats population in housing estates under control, so less pple might encounter those situations, and none here in CS.

Whatever it is, it's ok not to believe what I said now. Someday, if you encounter cats stealing food from your house, you might believe. That's all.
    chill. be it cats or dogs, both have its flaws. lim, take a breather.

the argument for cats > peskier than dogs will never work out, neither is the reverse. no point arguing for something that cannot be proved. this was a debate that would never end.

think about it. the cases for cats giving trouble on forums are as much as u can find as dogs giving trouble. personally, i have a friend who keeps both felines and dogs (private landed property) and both are fine to her. perhaps its the lack of training for these pets that resulted in all the unhappiness? so far i dun think strays would happily climb to the 10 floor, be it dogs or cats.

take a breather, and look at the larger picture. i'm not saying ur wrong, or nightmare is wrong. just saying u need to take a step back and realise this argument wont work

In general, maybe in a sense, it not fair to say the cats > dogs in public for the troubles that they may cause in the parks, common area etc.... That, I do not disagree.

But, I don't like cats more because of one issue only, and a very major issue, that cats do enter peoples house and steal food, and in the process mess up the place, not to mentioned potentially causing a fright/shock as they dart across the room and leaping out of the window in the middle of the night.

I doubt dogs would do that (enter house via window) on high rise floors.

I also saw cats on the window ledge (outside window) of high rise HDB flats (Opposite block) a few times, but never a dog.

Those animals, they roam around the neighborhood, is fine. But I cannot tolerate if these animal enters into pple's house and steal food. In this aspect, cats seems to be more capable of doing so at high rise unit. And personal encounters kinda support this assumption.

Anyway.. below is just some complains about cats.. Apparently not many pple can accept cats.

http://www.parliament.gov.sg/reports...005_T0002.html

"The total number of complaints concerning stray cats received by AVA, HDB and the town councils averaged at 10,000 per year for the period from 2002 to 2006."

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    chill. be it cats or dogs, both have its flaws. lim, take a breather.

the argument for cats > peskier than dogs will never work out, neither is the reverse. no point arguing for something that cannot be proved. this was a debate that would never end.

think about it. the cases for cats giving trouble on forums are as much as u can find as dogs giving trouble. personally, i have a friend who keeps both felines and dogs (private landed property) and both are fine to her. perhaps its the lack of training for these pets that resulted in all the unhappiness? so far i dun think strays would happily climb to the 10 floor, be it dogs or cats.

take a breather, and look at the larger picture. i'm not saying ur wrong, or nightmare is wrong. just saying u need to take a step back and realise this argument wont work

In general, maybe in a sense, it not fair to say the cats > dogs in public for the troubles that they may cause in the parks, common area etc.... That, I do not disagree.

But, I don't like cats more because of one issue only, and a very major issue, that cats do enter peoples house and steal food, and in the process mess up the place, not to mentioned potentially causing a fright/shock as they dart across the room and leaping out of the window in the middle of the night.

I doubt dogs would do that (enter house via window) on high rise floors.

I also saw cats on the window ledge (outside window) of high rise HDB flats (Opposite block) a few times, but never a dog.

Those animals, they roam around the neighborhood, is fine. But I cannot tolerate if these animal enters into pple's house and steal food. In this aspect, cats seems to be more capable of doing so at high rise unit. And personal encounters kinda support this assumption.

Anyway.. below is just some complains about cats.. Apparently not many pple can accept cats.

http://www.parliament.gov.sg/reports...005_T0002.html

"The total number of complaints concerning stray cats received by AVA, HDB and the town councils averaged at 10,000 per year for the period from 2002 to 2006."

May I say something. the number of complains about cats does not reflect that many people cannot accept cats. It is just merely because cats are more common than dogs. Most stray dogs are found at areas far from populated areas and hence less contact with residents and less complains. I remember there was the case of a dog at Yishun that was slated to be taken away and put down. However the resident's appeals ended up getting it adopted by a MP. If there were as many dogs as there are cats around. I am sure one will see as many complains too. Just look at the number of letters written to forum about dogs in sentosa.

I think this thread is really becoming a cat vs dog thread and end of day I appeal to all. You argue and fight but the ones that suffer are the ones that have no voice to fight for themselves. The animals. So chill and stop digging out more and more dirt just to win an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    May I say something. the number of complains about cats does not reflect that many people cannot accept cats. It is just merely because cats are more common than dogs. Most stray dogs are found at areas far from populated areas and hence less contact with residents and less complains. I remember there was the case of a dog at Yishun that was slated to be taken away and put down. However the resident's appeals ended up getting it adopted by a MP. If there were as many dogs as there are cats around. I am sure one will see as many complains too. Just look at the number of letters written to forum about dogs in sentosa.

I think this thread is really becoming a cat vs dog thread and end of day I appeal to all. You argue and fight but the ones that suffer are the ones that have no voice to fight for themselves. The animals. So chill and stop digging out more and more dirt just to win an argument.
    Refer to those text in blue. If cats are also far from populated area, and less contact, then, there'll be less problem and less complains. Probably true. Unfortunately, they are not far from populated area, hence the problem, hence, the authorities need to take action. Maybe the cat lovers should form a task force and relocate the cats. The cats happy, the residents also happy. Provided the cats doesn't make it's way back. That, is a potential problem too. End of the day, it's whether the animals are causing a problem for residents, whether their numbers are big or small doesn't matter.

Actually, if it is a healthy discussion targeted at the subject with objective comments, that is fine. Winning an argument is not a big deal. But I'm quite pissed off that some pple always resort to sarcastic remarks and such, and not focus tightly on the subject matter itself. Hence, more facts and statistic have to be presented to shut their accusations of "story-telling" or "unsound logic".

Hey guys ... chill! Don't turn this into something like a Camera-A vs Camera-B war. Love what you love, like what you like. Don't argue this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ndroo View Post
    Hey guys ... chill! Don't turn this into something like a Camera-A vs Camera-B war. Love what you love, like what you like. Don't argue this way.
    just for clarification, ndroo, i was merely trying to correct misinformation.

anyone is open to like or dislike cats, my liking for them has nothing to do with correcting the ridiculous concept that cats are somehow in possession of special pesky powers that cause them to be much more problematic than dogs.

in any case, i'm not bothering to respond any longer to any further points - especially when "statistics and facts" are being called for by a person who uses responses in a forum thread to pass off as "statistics and facts" representative of the whole of singapore.

that's like saying that i could start a thread asking "are you male or female?" and then after 10 replies of "male", claim that singapore only has males. maybe it is just me though, that finds that wrong. seeing how this could be the case, perhaps it is better not to reply, since my definition of "statistics and facts" is rather different from the other party's definition... i think it is hard to reconcile on anything else, especially when egos cannot be left at the door.

i think 4 years on, one thing that i've learnt is that people cannot seem to differentiate between mockery of their points/logic, and personal attacks. once there is disagreement with their points, you could possibly twist and turn anything into a personal attack, when it comes to that. unless there is to be no light-hearted humour, then in that case, that's not my style either.

cheers.
    Last edited by night86mare; 21st October 2010 at 02:03 PM.

Cats will never be far from urban centres as it was because of urbanization that cats were domesticated.

wild cats were drawn to the mice that flourish when humans turned from a hunter gatherer society to an agrarian one and started to store grain. The rest is history and Felis catus is tied into urban society. What you are asking for is as good as saying relocate all the cats to an island and banish them there. Which is theoretically not possible. The reason why there are stray cats in HDB areas is an complicated issue. Part of it is due to HDB's ban on cats in HDB. Owners want to keep them but HDB dont allow. So when some owners get caught, they dont know what else to do but to throw them in the streets.

Just as you have your right to not like animals and feel that animals should not belong in apartments. So do many here have the right to keep animals at home. In addition I think that the arguing is neither constructive nor healthy. sigh.....

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ing-of-the-cat

Refer to those text in blue. If cats are also far from populated area, and less contact, then, there'll be less problem and less complains. Probably true. Unfortunately, they are not far from populated area, hence the problem, hence, the authorities need to take action. Maybe the cat lovers should form a task force and relocate the cats. The cats happy, the residents also happy. Provided the cats doesn't make it's way back. That, is a potential problem too. End of the day, it's whether the animals are causing a problem for residents, whether their numbers are big or small doesn't matter.

Actually, if it is a healthy discussion targeted at the subject with objective comments, that is fine. Winning an argument is not a big deal. But I'm quite pissed off that some pple always resort to sarcastic remarks and such, and not focus tightly on the subject matter itself. Hence, more facts and statistic have to be presented to shut their accusations of "story-telling" or "unsound logic".
    We got your points. I was asking if you have use any cat repellant on your premises but it seems you are too engross with other arguements. If you really find cats nuisance in your resident area, you should contact animal groups for help. They will capture and spay them, this way the cat's nature will be subdued and keeping your resident cat population low. Your radical thoughts of removing all cats will just keep angering animal lovers everywhere. So i say again, spaying is the best way to keep cat's population low. It's up to you and me to keep a balance population between humans and cats.

Is TS going to close this thread?
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    What you are asking for is as good as saying relocate all the cats to an island and banish them there. Which is theoretically not possible.
    just so you know...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519290,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by ndroo View Post
    just close it. save hard disk space.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by eselite View Post
    They will capture and spay them, this way the cat's nature will be subdued and keeping your resident cat population low. Your radical thoughts of removing all cats will just keep angering animal lovers everywhere. So i say again, spaying is the best way to keep cat's population low. It's up to you and me to keep a balance population between humans and cats.

Is TS going to close this thread?
    yes.

as to why cats might venture into people's house to steal food - my thoughts on this: does the cat know that stealing is wrong? let's paint it this way - if a starving child does not know that it is wrong to steal, and it ventures into the house to steal... what would be the response?

Blog Entries

where to find cats thread ..... can also degenerate and hantam until like this ......

this catfight has strayed WAAAYYYYyyyyy away from the TS original post.....
    Last edited by ed9119; 21st October 2010 at 04:59 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    Hihi...me and my fren are cat lovers, am planning to complie an album on cats in singapore..got ani hotspots to find them?? i know void decks have...but im more keen to know if there is a place where cats are abundant? Btw Singapore dont have a cats cafe like this rite?

http://acidcow.com/pics/14185-tokyos...s-44-pics.html

I believe you should seek out members of the cat welfare society, or get to know the members, to find out more info than asking here.

Coz once info is divulged where to find LOTS of cats...im sure there are those who hate cats and maybe even sick individuals who may have planned something. So for everyone's concern, no mention of exact location please.

There's one place i have been, in Pasir Ris, lots of cats. There's an animal shelter there, for cat loving photographers, that's a good spot. Been there once, note, it's been strong smelling over there. It's also a shelter for dogs, so yah. You get the drift...both species of animals.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345