Thread: Hot day at Lim Chu kang

Default Hot day at Lim Chu kang

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition and processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    drawing attention of the viewer via the boundary lines that look like its never ending

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    taken during a cycling trip,extremely hot sun, lots of traffic, hence have to wait.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    not sure, pls give me your comments... no hold backs
    Last edited by fastfrag; 20th October 2010 at 09:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hot day at Lim Chu kang

Composition I would still say is ok but is there a slight tilt to the right?. The most glaring problem is that the picture lack contrast. Try to think shadows, midtones, highlights... a picture with all three will make a stronger image and makes your picture more interesting and give it more depth. Your picture seems to be stuck mostly in the midtones.

Did you convert to B&W after HDR?

BTW, it doesn't look hot at all, after your treatment of the tones.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 20th October 2010 at 10:08 AM.

Composition-wise, if you correct the tilt, then it's pretty decent. It's a waste the barriers on the left and right hand sides aren't the same, the symmetry of the photo is there but not there if you know what I mean. Small issue though.

I didn't feel the "hot"-ness of the scene at all. I think processing it in this manner is okay, but not if you want to emphasize heat, in which case contrast and perhaps capturing sun-rays would be crucial to the scene. Because I can understand that you felt hot when you took this, but upon viewing, I don't feel it at all.

Hope this helps
    Olympian

wow! i didn't notice the tilt...not really sure why it didn't look that hot, its actually a IR shot using hoya R72. maybe i should redo the post processing again

it doesnt look like an IR shot. it looks more black and white to me. nice composition anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfrag View Post
    wow! i didn't notice the tilt...not really sure why it didn't look that hot, its actually a IR shot using hoya R72. maybe i should redo the post processing again
    IR???

Maybe I haven't done much IR nor have I seen much, but this barely looks like IR! Did something go wrong with your post processing?
    Olympian

ah, i know this place. always wanted to take picture there but never got the chance to stop

question - how has using IR helped this photo?

next - don't you think that that leftmost lamppost is too shoved in one corner?

this could easily be resolved by taking a few steps back, or a few steps foward.

other than that, the idea is good. i can't say that i like the treatment - the vignetting is very irksome for me, because it is so abrupt, and you definitely can afford quite a bit more contrast here.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta93 View Post
    it doesnt look like an IR shot. it looks more black and white to me. nice composition anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    IR???

Maybe I haven't done much IR nor have I seen much, but this barely looks like IR! Did something go wrong with your post processing?
    it is probably because of the lighting at the time of shot.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta93 View Post
    agree... doesn't look IR to me as well... i actually ask around seems like my camera Sony Nex 3 isn't that good for IR shots....

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ah, i know this place. always wanted to take picture there but never got the chance to stop

question - how has using IR helped this photo?

next - don't you think that that leftmost lamppost is too shoved in one corner?

this could easily be resolved by taking a few steps back, or a few steps foward.

other than that, the idea is good. i can't say that i like the treatment - the vignetting is very irksome for me, because it is so abrupt, and you definitely can afford quite a bit more contrast here.
    Noted. thanks for the comments i think i will go back there once the haze is gone

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it is probably because of the lighting at the time of shot.
    Noted. Which goes to prove your point, that IR did not help enhance this photo in any way. I think.. in fact, with such processing, a black and white with strong contrast would be better. Of course, the photo would probably have to change it's title too...
    Olympian

You can get rid of the left lampost using CW-fill if you have CS5
    Dont follow the masses, buy what you need

Quote Originally Posted by Ouranos View Post
    You can get rid of the left lampost using CW-fill if you have CS5
    IMO, a couple of steps forward would have done just fine.
    Olympian