Thread: Dragonfly

Default Dragonfly

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, Colour, Positioning etc.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Something that is pleasing to the eye. Not entirely about the dragonfly, its the combination of water, plants, nature and living things which brings about life. (I hope you get what I'm trying to say )

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    No PP involved, only cropping. (Am I even answering to the question? )

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Sharp and Vivid.

Default Re: Dragonfly

Get closer to the subject, the dragonfly is not very prominent .

your caption is dragonfly, a closeup will allow viewer to focus on your main subject,
    composition can be better, would prefer a side view or head view of the dragonfly, not back view.
    lower angle preferred.

if you want to show nature, water, plants, insects, then title should not be dragonfly.

just my 2cents, don't take it to heart
    cheers
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

thanks guys..

what do you think of the photograph overall? on a scale of 5, putting aside the title, nature etc.

I agree with smokeweed and cheesy said.... main subject too small.
    However, this photo still can be "saved".
    Try cropping away the bottom and left hand side of the frame by maybe as much as 1/3 and keeping your subject on the node of the thirds.
    What will be left, is a nice bokeh of the background and foreground and the dragonfly and the branch it is perching on sharp.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    thanks guys..

what do you think of the photograph overall? on a scale of 5, putting aside the title, nature etc.
    Too messy.

You should have gone for a lower angle and focus in on the dragon fly, and being closer, will give you a much shallower DoF, allowing you to blur out the messy elements in the picture (the lower angle will help too).

thanks.. actully i also dont know what name to give for this photo so just aga aga

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    thanks guys..

1? i guess the exposure is fine. that should get a point.

composition wise - your intended subject is the dragonfly, i hope. if that is the case, WEIGHT has to come into account. this also has to be considered with SPACE.

in this case, most people are suggesting a closer perspective. that may not be necessary if you have a very clean background, though it is unlikely.

the angle of the dragonfly is not the best - when one showcases insects, unless there is a compelling purpose, we would actually want to see the eyes. insect portraiture is not that different from human portraiture in that aspect.

it might be better to try to get a side-wards view of the dragonfly, this insect is best presented from that perspective, or a full frontal with the eyes present, imho.

thanks! i should try to get the side view next time.