Thread: President Star Charity Show - anyone donate?

Default President Star Charity Show - anyone donate?

Showing President Star Charity Show on Channel 5 now. Anyone donate?
    Before recent Ren Ci and NKF cases, I always donate during such charity shows. However, after those incidents (both CEOs were jailed ), I basically just watch the charity shows w/o action.
    Last edited by kwttan; 17th October 2010 at 08:53 PM.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Blog Entries

Default Re: President Star Charity Show - anyone donate?

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    Showing President Star Charity Show on Channel 5 now. Anyone donate?
    Before recent Ren Ci and NKF cases, I always donate during such charity shows. However, after those incidents (both CEOs were jailed ), I basically just watch the charity shows w/o action.
    u can jail the president?

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    I don't know, not specialize in law.
    Anyway, saw few companies donated hundred thousands and 1 individual even donated $1mil.
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    Maybe not? rmbr in taiwan's case have to wait till he step down before he can be trialed.

I love threads like this.

If i said yes i donated, then i'm nothing more than a braggart who couldn't resist announcing my good deed to the whole world.

If i said no i didn't donate, i'd have to mention with righteous distain how corrupt the leadership of certain charities are, so i will appear of high moral character and use it to justify my lack of compassion.

They should introduce new options like 50cts, $1 etc.. then more pple, like "poor students w/o income" can donate too..

That's for "Call in" type of donations..

On a side note, for those traditional mailer type..

In the past, when I receive those mailer (together with SP bill) asking for donations, with options like $5, $10, $20 & other amt, I usually write a cheque to donate. Nowadays, it starts from $50, $100.... If their minimum starts form $50, it implies that a $5 donation would be insignificant, or probably redundant, and not going to "make a difference".... I just couldn't be bothered already.

The charities take donors like carrot isit.. anyhow chop..

Don't like their attitude.. so stopped donating.. But once a while I'll still donate if come across those "humble" charities that have options that starts from $5.. It suggests that $5 is going to "make a difference".. and I'll be more willing to help them if it is going to "make a difference" to them..
    Last edited by Limsgp; 18th October 2010 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    They should introduce new options like 50cts, $1 etc.. then more pple, like "poor students w/o income" can donate too..

In the past, when I receive those mailer (together with SP bill) asking for donations, with options like $5, $10, $20 & other amt, I usually write a cheque to donate. Nowadays, it starts from $50, $100.... If their minimum starts form $50, it implies that a $5 donation would be insignificant, or probably redundant, and not going to "make a difference".... I just couldn't be bothered already.

Don't like their attitude.. so stopped donating.. But once a while I'll still donate if come across those "humble" charities that have options that starts from $5.. It suggests that $5 is going to "make a difference".. and I'll be more willing to help them if it is going to "make a difference" to them..
    Charity donation also suffers from inflation
    Initial call in donation started with $2, now!
    Ofcourse, when comes to donation, it is up to individual, donate more if you have deeper pocket or ticker wallet lor. I do donate to those unfortunate folks that perform in the public, bcos I know the money reach that person directly.
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    Charity donation also suffers from inflation
    Initial call in donation started with $2, now!
    Ofcourse, when comes to donation, it is up to individual, donate more if you have deeper pocket or ticker wallet lor. I do donate to those unfortunate folks that perform in the public, bcos I know the money reach that person directly.
    Ok guys, They do take in small contributions through SMS.
    I was touched by not the performance but by the true stories shown and I gave $2.

1. Via Short Messaging Service (SMS)

SMS <Donation Code><space><NRIC> to 78888

SMS Donation Codes
    $2 donation: PC02
    $10 donation: PC10
    $20 donation: PC20

For example, your text for a $20 donation via SMS should read: PC20 S1234567A

Source: http://www.pc.org.sg/donation.html

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths View Post
    Ok guys, They do take in small contributions through SMS.
    I was touched by not the performance but by the true stories shown and I gave $2.

1. Via Short Messaging Service (SMS)

SMS <Donation Code><space><NRIC> to 78888

SMS Donation Codes
    $2 donation: PC02
    $10 donation: PC10
    $20 donation: PC20

For example, your text for a $20 donation via SMS should read: PC20 S1234567A

Source: http://www.pc.org.sg/donation.html
    Thanks for sharing the info.
    $2/$10 is generally more acceptable amount. Ofcourse, as I said earlier it is up to individual.
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Those who can afford naturally can always opt to donate more.. the thing is, if they set the minimum too high (i.e. $5 ), those cannot afford are unable to make a contribution even if they want too..

They're effectively screening out those who cannot afford to donate Big money.. for the call in one. Is that how charities are supposed to be run? To expect a "not so affordable" minimum donation?

btw, thanks for the info on SMS method..

going to make a donation via SMS later..

Those who can afford naturally can always opt to donate more.. the thing is, if they set the minimum too high (i.e. $5 ), those cannot afford are unable to make a contribution even if they want too..

They're effectively screening out those who cannot afford to donate Big money.. for the call in one. Is that how charities are supposed to be run? To expect a "not so affordable" minimum donation?

btw, thanks for the info on SMS method..

going to make a donation via SMS later..
    I think the show ines are sponsored by MediaCorp but the SMS line is not. For every $2 donated, the organization must pay 10% of the cost, if i'm not wrong. I only know for sure that there is a maintenance cost for their online portal donation through SG Gives.

Ultimately, it's the telecos and other operators who are reaping profits out of the VWOs and Charity organisation. Then again, it's a capitalist world, website need money to run, telephone company need $$ to run.
    But they do make up for the fact that they will donate a huge figure sometime later.

It's stated on the website that the SMS operating costs will be absorbed by the organisation.

I'll donate to a charity of my choice under my own name.

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths View Post
    I think the show ines are sponsored by MediaCorp but the SMS line is not. For every $2 donated, the organization must pay 10% of the cost, if i'm not wrong. I only know for sure that there is a maintenance cost for their online portal donation through SG Gives.

Ultimately, it's the telecos and other operators who are reaping profits out of the VWOs and Charity organisation. Then again, it's a capitalist world, website need money to run, telephone company need $$ to run.
    But they do make up for the fact that they will donate a huge figure sometime later.
    Agree. In the end, the Telcos charges us for the usage, be it calls or sms.