Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Phuket Recommendations Please!!!

Default Re: Phuket Recommendations Please!!!

Will be heading to Phuket from the 14th Jan (Morning flight) to 17th Jan (night) together with a group of friends.

My current plan is:
    On the 14th Jan, most probably will head to the streets (for a walkabout). On the 15th, will head to the beach. Still have not decided on which beach yet. Most probably Phi Phi Island?

What are the popular or "must-visit" streets at Phuket? The Patong area? Where esle is recommended for us to go on the 16th?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    back from your trip? how was it? any more tips for those who might be going there soon too? Any photos? Thank you.
    Hey coolthought! Yeps am back from my Phuket trip! Enjoyed it totally! I didnt get much photos as when I saw the beach, i totaly forgot about everything else! lol however, Lotusfairy took some really nice pix. You can check out her photos HERE She's so gg to kill me! lol Enjoy!
    I am IN LOVE with my Camera....
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jjynwa View Post
    Will be heading to Phuket from the 14th Jan (Morning flight) to 17th Jan (night) together with a group of friends.

My current plan is:
    On the 14th Jan, most probably will head to the streets (for a walkabout). On the 15th, will head to the beach. Still have not decided on which beach yet. Most probably Phi Phi Island?

What are the popular or "must-visit" streets at Phuket? The Patong area? Where esle is recommended for us to go on the 16th?

Thanks guys!
    Hi jjynwa, the Patong Beach area has so many shops to keep you occupy. To me, there was no must visit streets in Patong area. On the 15th, which is a Saturday night, you can head down to Phuket town for their once a week Night Market - Its big! Loads of street food, and local shopping. Be prepared to pay about 500baht for the ride there if you are gg from Patong. The place starts packing up about 10.30pm, hence, I suggest you go early.

I went to Kata beach instead of Patong. Kata Beach is much nicer, less crowded. You pay 100baht for the beach chair. No towels. bring a sarong or small towel.

I didnt go to James Bond Island nor Phi Phi. But Lotusfairy did. You can click on my previous post for her Phuket Photos. Instead, I went to Raya Island which is really gorgeous! I stayed there the whole time to sunbathe and skipped the snorkeling + island hopping.

You can try the ATV + Elephant Trekking - there are certain timings, so you probably need to decide a day before and book the trip.

Next is the visit to Promthep Cape, which is often combined with a trip to Wat Chalong and Rawai Beach, which are on the way from Phuket town. Nice place for sunset and dinner.

Tuk-Tuk and Taxi Service cost 200baht per way. Sometimes at night, the taxi service charges higher. So you need to bargain.

For massages, haha, my girlfriends went to "Let's Relax". They said it was good. I didnt go though, went shopping instead.

Hope it helps! Happy Holidays!
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoProZero View Post
    Hey coolthought! Yeps am back from my Phuket trip! Enjoyed it totally! I didnt get much photos as when I saw the beach, i totaly forgot about everything else! lol however, Lotusfairy took some really nice pix. You can check out her photos HERE She's so gg to kill me! lol Enjoy!
    yup already saw those photos. looks great.
    ... place must be really nice that you have forget your camera.
    good to see that you have enjoyed yourself and you have been qualified to be called phuket trip guru. hehe...
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoProZero View Post
    Hi jjynwa, the Patong Beach area has so many shops to keep you occupy. To me, there was no must visit streets in Patong area. On the 15th, which is a Saturday night, you can head down to Phuket town for their once a week Night Market - Its big! Loads of street food, and local shopping. Be prepared to pay about 500baht for the ride there if you are gg from Patong. The place starts packing up about 10.30pm, hence, I suggest you go early.

I went to Kata beach instead of Patong. Kata Beach is much nicer, less crowded. You pay 100baht for the beach chair. No towels. bring a sarong or small towel.

I didnt go to James Bond Island nor Phi Phi. But Lotusfairy did. You can click on my previous post for her Phuket Photos. Instead, I went to Raya Island which is really gorgeous! I stayed there the whole time to sunbathe and skipped the snorkeling + island hopping.

You can try the ATV + Elephant Trekking - there are certain timings, so you probably need to decide a day before and book the trip.

Next is the visit to Promthep Cape, which is often combined with a trip to Wat Chalong and Rawai Beach, which are on the way from Phuket town. Nice place for sunset and dinner.

Tuk-Tuk and Taxi Service cost 200baht per way. Sometimes at night, the taxi service charges higher. So you need to bargain.

For massages, haha, my girlfriends went to "Let's Relax". They said it was good. I didnt go though, went shopping instead.

Hope it helps! Happy Holidays!
    Thanks for your suggestion! Its definately helpful, will certainly look into them. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    yup already saw those photos. looks great.
    ... place must be really nice that you have forget your camera.
    good to see that you have enjoyed yourself and you have been qualified to be called phuket trip guru. hehe...
    Haha, i'm thinking of my songkran trip to Phuket in April already!
    flickr

Thanks for your suggestion! Its definately helpful, will certainly look into them. Appreciate it.
    Oh, btw, do check out the various tour operator pricing! It varies!
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoProZero

Oh, btw, do check out the various tour operator pricing! It varies!
    I have not. We will be staying at marriott's mai khao beach. I am thinking of getting a tour package from the hotel? If not, which tour operator you recommend? Most probably will put the tour on the 15th dec after that go for the night market.

I have not. We will be staying at marriott's mai khao beach. I am thinking of getting a tour package from the hotel? If not, which tour operator you recommend? Most probably will put the tour on the 15th dec after that go for the night market.
    This the person: ms nittaya thomthong, email: Phuket-Southern-Sea@hotmail.com
    they offer quite good price and her brother can speak quite good english.
    their location at patong beach, in front of Silver Resortel Hotel

Recommended by another CSer Serene in this thread! reasonable price and charming lady!
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoProZero

This the person: ms nittaya thomthong, email: Phuket-Southern-Sea@hotmail.com
    they offer quite good price and her brother can speak quite good english.
    their location at patong beach, in front of Silver Resortel Hotel

Recommended by another CSer Serene in this thread! reasonable price and charming lady!
    Oh, ok! I will email her. Thanks once again.

..... i brought back a stack of maps and brochures but am passing to a friend who is going soon..

for the tour packages, i booked 2 different companies.

one advise, NEVER follow the price on the printed brochures.. many of the "agents" are going for 50%=65% off the printed price on the brochures.

I paid 1200bht for Phang Nga Bay (ie James Bond Island) full day with longtailed boat rides...
    some angmohs (from expensive hotel) paid 1600bht, while one group of malaysian group paid 4500bht for 4adults&2kids.
    It includes a deep cave exploration, we literally sit on kayaks, switch to bamboo raft, wade with our flip flops walk and drag our feet in the knee deep water in the dark dark caves with a head torch.. very very exciting, i lose lotsa of calories.

for the phi phi, i paid !200bht, lucky the speedboat only about 20 pple, so a lot of space to move around. Most speedboat kana 35pax squeeze into a tiny speedboat. the lunch though mass feeding buffet halal style, it is very yummy

I stayed at the Sleezy part of Patong area.. near to the huge shopping complex and the Bangla Street (ie the Pole dancing/ladyboys area), we even ventured into the gay pubs area near our hotel.

The Patong Beach is about 500m from our hotel, must walk.

Bring umbrella/Poncho hor.. i got caught in rain TWICE, one on christmas eve sightseeing the open concept pole dancing area, and one after the Tsunami Memorial Event...

Try the roadside food stall (for locals type). but we kana slaughtered lor. one ducky noodle soup (delicious) cost me 50bht, i think they charge local at 30bht niah

me and my room mate kana no water on 2nd day morning, and 2nd last day, downstair blackout..
    蓮花仙子

for roaming around, i got my friend's hubby who is a local tour driver (with van) to send us from airport to hotel, then roam around for 2 days, then send us to airport

she and hubby brought us to the local eating places...really way out to villages to eat their local food. the stall cant speak english, we need my friends to help translate.. the food are really..
    no tourist flavour ..hehehe

i even had full pledge BBQ/sTEAMBOAT at 127bht.. ie S$6 per pax. everything they have..
    Last edited by LOTUSfairy; 4th January 2011 at 11:12 AM.
    蓮花仙子

on a happy note : money changers around patong opens till 11pm.. rate aint too bad....

and. never go to Phuket Town on a Sunday, it's a Ghost town.. all shops closed
    蓮花仙子

Some non-beach stuff on Phuket:
    - Live firing (Shot gun, magnum etc) at Jung Ceylon Mall
    - Go-kart en-route to Patong (Can't rem the road name but it is un-missable)
    - All-terrain vehicle ride (check with agent)

Beach stuff:
    - Jet ski - 1000 bht
    - Parasailing - 1000 bht

Phi Phi Island tips:
    - Don't go on the first few days. Spend some time at Phuket first.

Food tips:
    - Basement foodcourt at Jung Ceylon Mall has THE BEST TOM YAM SOUP.
    - Seafood is over-priced EVERYWHERE.
    Hasselblad 503CW | 100mm f/3.5 CF | Contax 645 | Zeiss 80mm f/2 | Website

i was at the horse riding...rather horse strolling in the rubber plantation.. should have brought my cammy along... the young lady (wearing pink) in front of me, gallop the horse with the horse handler running along playing (in yellow) in the mist of rubber trees and rays shining in.. a beautiful sight..

i cursed i din bring my cam along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it would have been a great great pic!!!!!!!
    my super utlimate regret of the day
    Last edited by LOTUSfairy; 4th January 2011 at 12:23 PM.
    蓮花仙子

Quote Originally Posted by shandy7894 View Post
    If you have a bike license and have decent riding experience, you can rent a bike to explore the many beaches on the island at your own sweet time.

-----------------------------------------
    SEO
    Search Engine Optimization
    Yeps, the last I enquire about the bike rental was about 200bht per day.
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by shandy7894 View Post
    If you have a bike license and have decent riding experience, you can rent a bike to explore the many beaches on the island at your own sweet time.

-----------------------------------------
    micrositez
    micrositez
    spammer

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    spammer
    ??? Spammer...Oops
    flickr

Will be going off to Phuket tomorrow morning. Will write up a travelogue when I'm back. Thank you guys for all the recommendations!

Will be going off to Phuket tomorrow morning. Will write up a travelogue when I'm back. Thank you guys for all the recommendations!
    have a great trip
    蓮花仙子

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast