Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hands-on with Pentax K-5 :)

Default Re: Hands-on with K-5 :)

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper View Post

See how much i can pull out of the dark leaves by juz using ur jpg w/o RAW file? The dark areas in my eyes r juz not dark enuf to draw conclusion that K5 has 14 stops DR, but its ability to capture dark areas has improve from K7, but by how much? That needs further testing by other users with both DSLR. Fengwei perhaps?
    i can tell you that frankly, i don't know how it compares to the k-x, but it is much improved over the k20d, which is in turned much improved over the k100d.

i'm happy, i didn't need to use any hdr much when i switched to k20d, but now, i think i don't ever have to use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Would anyone really know if NR is applied to RAW?
    Don't think anyone other that the tech people in all the brands will know, and they would not tell, right?
    Anyway, from most of the samples shown, the NR cleanup using noise reduction software from the RAW (NR'ed or not) is very good.

Note to self.
    Ok. I got to learn how to use RAW and get myself a proper NR program...
    DXOmark can tell from the noise profile.
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/...Pentax-cameras

I do circuit design and I agree that once you do some offset/noise cancellation, the distribution is no longer Gaussian and very distinctive.

I am not talking about standard NR that the camera applies to the JPEG. I read about the K-5 can program that for INDIVIDUAL iso settings. It is the "slight" NR which pentax did on it raw files for k-x from ISO3200 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i can tell you that frankly, i don't know how it compares to the k-x, but it is much improved over the k20d, which is in turned much improved over the k100d.

i'm happy, i didn't need to use any hdr much when i switched to k20d, but now, i think i don't ever have to use it again.
    did you get the k-5 or the k-r or both?

I am wondering how is the performance of the sensor in k-r vs k-5 in terms of ISO and DR.

Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    did you get the k-5 or the k-r or both?

I am wondering how is the performance of the sensor in k-r vs k-5 in terms of ISO and DR.
    i have the k-r.

i have the k-r.
    Why not the K5? The K20 was the pro range of its time right? I feel the K5 is a much better value, all rounded performer. If i were to buy a Pentax today, K5 wud be the one

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper View Post
    Why not the K5? The K20 was the pro range of its time right? I feel the K5 is a much better value, all rounded performer. If i were to buy a Pentax today, K5 wud be the one
    i want something lighter, actually.

but you're right, without any constraints, i would get the k-5.

Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    DXOmark can tell from the noise profile.
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/...Pentax-cameras

I do circuit design and I agree that once you do some offset/noise cancellation, the distribution is no longer Gaussian and very distinctive.

I am not talking about standard NR that the camera applies to the JPEG. I read about the K-5 can program that for INDIVIDUAL iso settings. It is the "slight" NR which pentax did on it raw files for k-x from ISO3200 onwards.
    Ok, I see what you mean. So are you worried that whatever built-in NR the camera is doing might smudge out details in the pics? I can't speak for the K-5 or K-r, but based on the K20D (DxOMark says NR at ISO 3200 and 6400), by the time this "slight NR" kicks in, I seriously doubt that it would make any visible difference since the details would have been drowned by the high noise levels anyway.
    My photos - see just some or all of it =)

Today went to the Butterfly Trail at Alexandra Hospital, no more butterfly there, only some small bugs:

Not a very rewarding trip, and flash was a bit too harsh on most shots:

What lens did you use, the DFA 100mm 2.8 WR?

Quote Originally Posted by rocaway View Post
    What lens did you use, the DFA 100mm 2.8 WR?
    Yes, it's the only macro lens I have now

wow.. very, very nice

beautiful shots!

nice meeting you today FW. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dreamwatch View Post
    wow.. very, very nice
    Thanks

beautiful shots!
    Thanks. Wanna upgrade to a K5?

Quote Originally Posted by ultimaform View Post
    nice meeting you today FW. lol
    Nice meeting you too. It's good to have some company there instead of shooting alone

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post

Thanks. Wanna upgrade to a K5?
    not after seeing the price my k20d has to go for...

i would love to, and i think i will miss the experience of the superb handling of the upper echelons of pentax cameras... but i think i'll stick to entry level from now on, thank you very much.. not willing to spend so much.

not after seeing the price my k20d has to go for...

i would love to, and i think i will miss the experience of the superb handling of the upper echelons of pentax cameras... but i think i'll stick to entry level from now on, thank you very much.. not willing to spend so much.
    To be honest, you deserve a better camera, really I'm not saying Kr isn't good, but a WR body might help you to get even better landscape photos.

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    I'm not saying Kr isn't good, but a WR body might help you to get even better landscape photos.
    yeah, i know what you mean - we'll see how the k-r pans out.... i don't think i will change anything i do because the body is not WR... but hey... if it works out fine, it will be a fine testament to the fact that pentax provides hardy, top quality cameras at a very affordable price. which brings us back to why i even adopted the brand in the first place!

yeah, i know what you mean - we'll see how the k-r pans out.... i don't think i will change anything i do because the body is not WR... but hey... if it works out fine, it will be a fine testament to the fact that pentax provides hardy, top quality cameras at a very affordable price. which brings us back to why i even adopted the brand in the first place!
    I'm sure you can make excellent photos w/ any camera. And we are glad to have you here on our side

Nice capture fengwei, i especially like the 2 ants shots.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910 ... LastLast